What is the P15’s actual max watt capacity?

Just saw that my p15 meter stops at 1200w. Some images I’ve seen online show it at 1500w. Was this an older firmware version?

The product page for the p15 shows 1200 max for US and 1500 max for Europe/Asia. Yet the marketing material claims 1500…I’m in the US btw.

I’m confused.

1 Like

In the meantime, as the P15 has a 5A fuse, it can consume a maximum of 600 watts at any given time. As it stores energy though, it can probably provide a higher peak wattage for a moment. In practice, my P15 typically uses 120-150 watts.

P15 Maximum Continuous Load JP/US - 1200VA
P15 Maximum Peak Load 3600VA

So what is the point of buying a P15 over a P12 in the US? P12 also has max output of 1200VA…

I don’t know. I’m lucky since I live in Sweden/Europe so I have 1500 watt.

It seems strange to have all the marketing material say 1500 watts and then in the US it’s 1200.

It’s the lower output impedance of the larger Power Plants that helps make the sonic improvements. The bigger the Power Plant the better whatever connected to it sounds.

Thanks, Paul. Is there something different between the US and Euro versions of the P15? Because on a standard 15A US circuit, 1500VA would not be a problem.

I try to recommend folks stay under the 1200W mark for continuous load. More than that and it will get too hot and shut itself down.

1 Like

Hm, a continuous load of 1200 watts in the USA is 10 Amps. But how can you get that through a 5 Amp fuse?

Would you agree that calling it a P15 is a bit of a misnomer in the US, then? And that the product page claiming 1500VA is misleading?

Application

With a maximum output of 1500 watts, the P15 regenerates steady, regulated, pure AC that is unaffected by your equipment’s demands for power. Powering your system from the outlets of the P15 will reveal new voices, new harmonics, and a renewed sense of musicality. As the gold standard for safety, reliability, and high-performace AC power regeneration, the P15 will ensure you receive the same great performance every time you listen and provide a firm foundation for your system.

@Nieuwro If that were the case, it would be limited to 500W right?

@eurobonds I agree, I wish we were more consistent with the naming, specs, VA/watts etc. Keep in mind, it can output 1500W which is different than a 1500W load continuous.

So I should conclude that there are differences between the US and European versions of the P15. You’re saying that the US P15 is set to shut down around 1200VA while the European P15 is not configured in this way. Is that correct? Is there some engineering reason for this? I would have thought that 1500VA produced on a 240V circuit is the same as 1500VA produced on 120V?

@Nieuwro And for clarity, the incoming current doesn’t go through that fuse. That’s what the circuit breakers are for.

@eurobonds It’s just a simple matter that you’re able to pull more current from a 230V/10A circuit than you are a 120V/15A. We also have some safety codes here in the states that prevent any single piece of gear from pulling a certain percentage of a 15A circuit. I forgot the exact percentage.

Thanks for the info

Well, the fuse is wired in series with the PowerPlant, right, all current consumed by the PowerPlant is coming through the fuse. So with a 5Amp fuse, at 120 volts, the maximum wattage that the PowerPlant can continuously consume is 600 watts. Now there is a nuance to this. This is a slow-blow fuse. The UL standard for fuses allows peaks. From the LittleFuse website: “The fuse must open at 135% of rated current within one hour. It also must open at 200% of rated current within 2 minutes”. So the P15 could indeed consume a peak wattage of 1200, up to 2 minutes, before the fuse is required to blow. That is what must be meant in the documentation? I am sure your PowerPlant Engineers can explain in an instant.

Also, the PowerPlant stores energy in capacitors, so it can provide peaks higher then what it’s pulling from the net that very moment.

The breakers that come after the fuse might be for voltage peaks etc, or cap current before the actual fuse would.

Anyway, for my system and many others, this is all a bit theoretical because in reality, you might need a few hundred watts continuous at most, unless you are running massive class A amps or something else extraordinary. Plenty of headroom for most of us in that fine P15 of ours.