What should I do - DS DAC or BHK300?

BHK300’s in system since March. If you can get them for a reasonable price off retail, I’d start there & upgrade other components down the road when budget allows.

Hello all! Thanks again for all the tips. Majority of you are directing me towards the DS DAC. A very fine option I truly believe. However for a some weird reason or a gut feeling, I’m still even after all these replies leaning towards the BHK300. I don’t know what sort of obsession or else this is, but strangely I feel this is what I should do. I don’t know if it is some sort ”I owe you guys this” feeling towards my nice turntable, phonopre and large vinyl collection and not to turn my back on them and run away to the digital side? I don’t know, I can’t explain it? :man_shrugging::sweat_smile: Somehow I feel the serious digi time in my life can still wait… Anyways, I kind of liked what someone said the Monos being my “forever” amps. Forever is a big word but at least 5-10 years I could easily imagine. I’m not planning to update my speakers, as I like them very much and clearly and significantly topping them (Amphion Krypton3, 15k€) would require to go over the 20k€ limit (POV). And if I go for the BHK300 it is going to be very silent at my upgrade front after that due to finances. Now for the last time all you BHK300 users or with experience, please plain objectively what would I gain and get, all pros and cons are allowed, I haven’t made the decision nor pulled the trigger yet. Thanks and good night! :sleeping::crescent_moon:

Killer speakers those! No question they’ll be singing with the BHK 300s for over 10 years. I understand where you’re coming from. Something about the idea of having a strong foundation for amps is really comforting.

2 Likes

MJM, that’s one killer set of speakers, and system you got there! lucky!
I agree with you, go with your gut and the BHK300’s. the digital stuff can trickle in later…
I am also seriously pondering the BHK300’s, and moving on from my Bryston 14B3…and I thought I would own that amp ‘forever’…lol. good luck!

ps. can you share a picture of your setup?

TJ

1 Like

It sounds like you WANT to buy BHK-300 and you WANT US to validate this relatively illogical decision! :wink: So, my advice, if you REALLY want it, go get it! To me, for the money you can improve sound more in other areas but I am NOT YOU, so you need to make that decision.

If you listen to digital, a good/modern streamer is a lot better option, specially with better interface and Roon. Some upgrades on your power cables and power components might be nice too, but as I said earlier, IF you gotto have monoblocks, you gotto have monoblocks! :wink:

Can I jump in here? I don’t think it’s fair to say things like “illogical decision” because not all of us believe that.

Here’s my own opinion. If a person’s dedicated to building a reference system, investing the time and money to get it right, to have something going into the future, then I always recommend getting the basics right - and the first place I start
(aside from the speakers which apparently aren’t on the table here) is the AC power. Next, the power amplifier. Without these fundamental building blocks, adding a great DAC is going to give your system a boost but would not be my first choice in building
a reference setup.

I will suggest also the following. The BHK300s need a Power Plant to come close to their performance capabilities. Our friend, Richard Murrison (owner of Bit Perfect), borrowed a pair of BHK300s and a Power Plant to play his Wilsons at the Montreal
HiFi show some years back. By the end of the show he was so blown away with their performance that he called me to wangle a deal on the 300s. “These are not leaving my sight”. At home, his experience (with his same speakers) wasn’t as mind boggling as at the
show. Turns out he only bought the 300s and not the Power Plant feeding them. We fixed that and now he’s in sonic heaven and has a solid foundation on which he can rely upon going forward.

Much depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. If building a solid reference system is the goal, then you know my recommendation and why.

5 Likes

Don’t forget to add the cost of an extra power cable for the mono’s. And yes, you do need good cables; for the regenerator too.

If you have not heard you BHK preamp and BHK 250 with a power plant you have not heard them at all. Go with a power plant first than the DAC to get the most bang for your buck.

3 Likes

Paul…can a P10 handle a pair of BHK 300’s, BHK preamp and DSD…?

Hello all! Thanks once more for all the replies, views and opinions. It’s been such a pleasure and delighting to find so helpful Hi-Fi family! :blush: After few days thinking and tips from few users like Paul and others, I have decided to take a different approach to my situation. The BHK Pre and 250 is an excellent combo. However as always in this hobby we are after for more. I think investing into a power plant and keeping my current setup will be a better option financially and SQ wise than buying the monoblocks without a power plant. I sense most of you share this view and find it actually better than my BHK300 obsession, as the upgrade from 250 without a power plant wouldn’t be that big. I have at least come to this conclusion after a one night sleep. Now the question is which power plant? I hope I could go with a P12. Would that be sufficient enough? Plan is to feed from it the BHK Pre, 250, phonopre and CD player or a DAC. I couldn’t find any info how many outlets the EU version has - 4? US has obviously 8. Any users here from Northern Europe who have find P12 or other plants significantly beneficial? Where I come from the electrical network is very stable and outages are almost non existent. Regarding the DS DAC question I have decided to wait or get a more simple pure DAC as my digital listening is not yet maybe there, that an investment into a DS DAC would be yet worth it. Thanks for the discussion and all the feebback. Cheers!

1 Like

P10 handles my 300s with ease- never seen it above 40% load

2 Likes

Hi MJM, I have a P12. I am in the US but I believe the P12’s output is the same wherever. I have my 200w per channel power amp, my preamp, my phono preamp, my turntable, my Aurender server, my DS DAC, my DMP, my Oppo 205, the Matrix and Sbooster, all plugged into the P12 and at the most, with music blasting, it’s only using 30% to 40% of capacity. It probably would handle mono blocks too, if I had them. Remember, you are not using the maximum current from every piece all at the same time all of the time. Even when you are playing really loud, it’s not using the maximum draw from your amps, only a fraction.
A P12 is more than adequate. There’s also the question of how much cash and space you have to put into it. A P12 sounds fabulous, but the P15 and P20 sounds even better if you can afford it.

thanks bassaholic! T

I went from a 250 to a set of 300s and never looked back. I also got a DS DAC later. Agree with Paul that long term that you will want a power plant.

2 Likes

I auditioned the BHK250 when purchasing my speakers (Monitor Audio PL500II) . Listening to them got a whole lot better when swapping out for a pair of BHK300’S. Although clearly in the same family, the 300’s just have more of everything. Grip, control, slam, nuance. If you are looking for an end game change for me the 300’s do it. Are they twice as good as the 250? No as the law of diminishing returns can’t be circumvented. I have the 300’s, the BHK pre and the DS Dac. I don’t have a power plant as my dealer is a bit ambivalent about them. Suits me as that approach saves me money.
Just my 2c.

Saves you money and prevents you from hearing what your system actually is capable of doing.
Arnie Nudell actually sold his precious all tube Sonic Frontiers to enjoy the BHK 250. Don’t sell it short.

3 Likes

I’ve got the 300s as well. P20 makes them sing!

HOW can they sound better? It regulates power and makes the AC power clean, and in perfect sine wave, a larger one wouldn’t do much more unless you NEED more power and have more equipment to connect to.

From what you have, it looks like P12 is more than enough. It also looks nicer, not as huge and probably easier to integrate.

Bigger power plants have the ability to maintain a sine output under more duress: they have a lower output impedance.

1 Like