What's your favorite Miles Davis album?

I’m sure @weedeewop and @lonson will know how many albums Miles led or played on, but there are a lot.
So far, my favorite is Bag’s Groove. Actually, I love all his final Prestige works.

5 Likes

I can’t choose. One day I think it might be “Bitches Brew.” Another “Milestones.” Those are two that are way up there for me. And then when I play my favorite digital version of “Miles Ahead” it is a strong contender.

He’s one of my favorite artists and I just can’t or won’t choose.

6 Likes

I sometimes fancy droney stuff so then my favorite Miles is Sketches of Spain or Nefertiti, but with him there’s lots to like and for me some so-so or too acidy if there is such a thing. Good topic!

5 Likes

Can I choose the entire Live At The Pllugged Nickel box? If not, I’ll probably go with Miles Smiles because his second great quintet is my favorite era of his.

Of course every time I spin Kind Of Blue I think it might be my favorite simply because “All Blues” is the tune that initially made me a fan of jazz.

5 Likes

(Still rocking the BHK pre you sold me Ron! :slightly_smiling_face:)

7 Likes

Smart (as in hard to choose), when I asked for a favorite album, in this case Miles Davis, one pops in my head, and then it’s multiples. Kind of like a fluffle of rabbits. It would be easier to mention one or two I’d rather not return to, than select a favorite. My listening preferences and favorites at the moment are driven by mood and situation. All said, Bags Groove is an excellent album. This morning the Miles album that popped in my head immediately was Round About Midnight, followed by a mental flurry of The Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel, Kind of Blue, Tribute to Jack Johnson, L’Ascenseur Por L’Echafaud, In a Silent Way, , Relaxin’/Steamin’/Workin’/Cookin’. As you can see I’m hopeless.

Regarding videos featuring Miles Davis, it’s Isle of Wright (Live).

6 Likes

I love playing this compilation album.

7 Likes

Same thought timing :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Brew

1 Like

I love so many of them, like most its not even possible to choose. However, having said that there is something about his tone on both Someday My Prince Will Come and the Ascenseur Pour L’Échafaud soundtrack that gets me everytime. The breath control is astonishing. So is the phrasing on Ascenseur Pour L’Échafaud… and hell, that was mostly improvised

3 Likes

Bitches Brew and Seven Steps to Heaven

5 Likes

Jack Johnson is a huge and interesting standout, without being my favorite. For a good while, I was very into On The Corner.

3 Likes

Smiles, Bags, and Blue. I can’t pick just one.

3 Likes

I don’t think Miles smiled all that much.

1 Like

I just listen to at least one of my very favorites.

This IMPEX reissue is also one of the best sounding Miles albums, if not the best… Gorgeous. I even bought this IMPEX a second time by then, as it’s so essential for me in music and sound quality. It’s quite expensive meanwhile I remember.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Probably “Nefertiti”, but I have a soft spot for “Decoy” since it was the first CD I ever bought (1987ish, along with a Magnavox player). I still have the CD…still no pops/clicks! :wink:

4 Likes

Sketches of Spain, Bitches Brew, and then everything else.

2 Likes

Do tell!

http://kind-of-blue.de/seiten/disco/miles_ahead_srcs9703.htm

1 Like