What's your most valuable/interesting vinyl record?

I have a 1940s lp of radio transcriptions of Nat King Cole and Bing Crosby that are priceless. I also have an old LP of old Aeolean Piano Rolls and one of them is actually George Gershwin playing Rhapsody in Blue.

Is it an AFRS radio transcription ? With or without label ?

Giants of Jazz: The Forgotten Years. The King Cole Trio. The disc is from Jan 1979. Cuts from the disc go back to 1936 from some Decca recordings. What was interesting is that Nat chose not to have a drummer when he formed the trio, making it unique.

As a matter of fact, there very few trio. Most of the first trios were piano / guitar / bass. Art Tatum, Oscar Peterson (the Nat King Cole’s influence is obvious), Ahmad Jamal just to name a few of those. Things changed to piano/bass/ drums with the success of the Erroll Garner trio and then the boppers.

Before I went off the deep end during the pandemic and started purposefully buying limited edition audiophile vinyl, the top LPs for resale were … the same. I snapped up a few Music Matters 45rpm double LPs when they first became available, most of which have gone up 3-4x in value. I have a Berlin Philharmonic Direct-to-Disc of Bruckner’s 5th that is going for $600+ on Discogs, roughly triple what I paid for it. The most surprising discovery was an old Cramps 7-inch that has sold for more than $200. I probably paid two bucks for it, so that’s by far the most appreciation for anything in my stash. The most “interesting” LPs I own are probably “industrial musical,” Rudy Ray Moore comedy, and trucker country compilations … thrift shop gold!

One of the sad parts of the pandemic is the lack of “bin diving” for used LPs in good condition. I will bet that more record stores felt it as much as restaurants. All of this is terribly sad.

AT 74 in August this is not how I thought it would end, but I am most sad for the younger folks who are left with quite a mess. There are days that I don’t even want to listen to music.

I have been going out once per week that last two weeks and doing some background movie acting around Atlanta just to get out of the house. My wife is done with it as it is not glamourous as one might think. Friday night I got home at 12:30am. Too many retakes of the same simple scenes. It is why I like musicians more.

My wife and I were super busy doing this in 2019, but the pandemic took care of all of that. We did Jewel, Conjuring 3, DMX, Ozark over 20 times, Doom Patrol, The Outsider, a number of things for Tyler Perry, The Resident, Sweet Magnolia, You Can’t Take My Daughter, The Tomorrow War, to name a few. We were working 3-5 times a week. Now you must have 1-3 Covid tests days in a row and be cleared before you can work.

Now that the pandemic is over I hope to do more recording once schools start back.

@JimT how long have you been doing movie work? I covered a lot of Hollywood location shoots for the paper back in the late '80s … Glory, Driving Miss Daisy, Love Crimes, Free Jack, Tanner '88, and on and on … Maybe we crossed paths. I left Atlanta long before the current renaissance, though.

I guess the drag for me is that suddenly everyone is up=pricing old vinyl like its gold. Hard to find good buys anymore. I really like Bene’s Record Shop in Red Hook, Brooklyn, though. Bene’s a movie star, himself … check out People to People if you can find it streaming somewhere …

I retired from teaching Math in 2019 and began here in Atlanta and worked up until March of 2020 until they had us old people (70 & 73) quarantine. I just returned last week and this week with jobs. My wife said no more. Not sure how much more I will do as with all the testing it is not much fun. Plus we are a right to work state with no union so we make about 1/4th the rate of CA.

We still have a number of stores, but I have not bee post pandemic, yet. The one in the town 10 miles from me usually as new and used at good prices and I may go in a week or so. Once vinyl reaches the prices of SACDs I am buying SACDs. If I had a vinyl rig that was $5K to $10K I might buy more, but I don’t.

My middle son, Jon, is taking me to Chicago for Father’s Day to a Cubs’ game Monday night vs. Cleveland; and we are flying up and back in two days. Kind of a fire-drill. I had prostate cancer surgery in Nov of 2020, so this is important to him. Very kind. We went to Wrigley quite often as a kids. The last time I took MY kids was in early 80’s, so it will be fun. We did a week of afternoon games and every morning we hit the museums: Science & Industry; Natural History; Morton Arboreum, Brookfield Zoo, & the Adler Planetarium. The kids still say that was the best vacation ever.

5 Likes

Enjoy your trip and going to Wrigley Field tomorrow. Sounds like fun!

1 Like

I’ll post a few incredibly rare examples again. AWICH, one of my favorite rappers, even if just a few tracks are so great. A Japan female rapper (I really like several especially female rappers), the DLP”s are only available in Japan and even there extremely rare,

They are not only very expensive (currently 300-600$), they are even rarer than expensive.

Yes, my taste is wide and not always age-based :wink:

2 Likes

After the never released Steely Dan Grundman mastering mentioned further above, this is maybe my rarest record, even if not the most expensive.

It’s a Jamie Saft with Steve Swallow AAA production with really great music and sound. It practically never appears on the surface. Last year I found the last two anywhere…in Indonesia. With the help of a kind forum member he and I got one.

As it also was a Fremer recommendation once, I guess the next seller can get an insane price, if he knows.

1 Like

Arooj Aftab. This is one of the most wanted more recent vinyl releases. And more important, it’s an incredible mix of neo-sufi, ambient, minimal and dub (so says the web), fantastic music and sound!

North of 200-400$ meanwhile, although not exactly as rare as the others mentioned here, but it’s that good.

1 Like

I have an 8-track of Crime Of The Century that had “Rudy” misprinted as “Ruby”
Does that count?
Rubytramp1

5 Likes

Absolutely counts.

Woah, that’s pretty darn rare!

Blooby Well Right! :laughing:

2 Likes

If you (and others) really love it for that :wink:

No idea of their value, but I have the “unauthorized” original “Magazine” by Heart on Mushroom Records, and a French Apple import of “The Beatles” pressed on white vinyl. Unfortunately its cover discolored over time. Oh, and a picture disc of Linda Ronstadt’s “Living in the USA.” :rofl:

I probably have no more than half a dozen records worth more than £50. I have no idea. I have a friend who has a rarity collection he hardly ever plays. I just like listening to records. It’s not somewhere I’d invest.

I think most who have more valuable records than you also just want to listen to it and would be happy, if they’d be cheaper :wink: A pure investment in records makes no sense imo.

2 Likes