Whats your Reference Album for Impressing Listeners?

This $5 slab o vinyl always amazes.

2 Likes

(Just kidding – Please don’t try this at home. Happy New Year to all!)

7 Likes

Yes, indeed. We lived in Central NY when JB was an up-and-comer (He grew up near Utica, NY). Saw him several times in Syracuse and Ithaca, and more recently at Red Rocks after we moved to Colorado.

The energy of the earlier quartet with Tal Bergman on drums and Carmine Rojas on bass was insane. No opening act - they just came out and played for 2 hours without a break.

2 Likes

I never listened to the entirety of Trout Mask Replica until the relatively recent remaster. 1 Completely unhinged! 2 Your girlfriend will not like it.

2 Likes

The gutterul screams turn me off.

Never fails to impress

2 Likes

Adding this one to my goto list

2 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

Steven Wilson - The Harmony Codex

2 Likes

Steven Wilson - Live at the Royal Albert Hall

1 Like

On the opposite side of this coin, a friend who worked audio shows would put on PiL Metal Box to clear the room of any stragglers at end of the day. Has the opposite effect on me.

7 Likes

My references album are:

Artist: Patrica Barber
Album: Modern Cool (Blu-ray Audio)

Artist: Dire Straits
Album: Brothers in Arms (SACD)

Artist: Sigmund & Iver
Album: HarmOrgan (Blu-ray Audio)

3 Likes

Depends on the audience, but this certainly is a crowd pleaser.

Then there is this:

4 Likes

Over here playing music that my guests like to hear themselves turns out to be more than enough to impress… :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I always try to accommodate in the same manner when “demonstrating”.

It is really satisfying when someone remarks something like, “I never heard that before”, “I did not know what that lyric was until now” or “never sounded so good”.

Good point and I do feel similarly, within reason. No Super Tramp, or Bay City Rollers please. Come to think of my friends would probably suggest Colin Stetson, Vijay Iyer, or E.S.T.

2 Likes

What do you have against the ‘Rollers?

C’mon man.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Where do I start…

5 Likes

Is it the shoes?

:wink:

1 Like