Which USB cable are you using with good results

I tried the USB input on the pwd a couple of times in the past but always preferred the bridge.

Now I have a new pc with i7 processor, 8 gig, ssd hdd and it is battery powered. (New macbook air)

Using audirvana plus and jriver as my playback software.

The sound is close now, but still prefer the bridge.

What I am using is a standard USB printer cable.

Want to upgrade the cable to a decent USB cable.

I would like to know if any forum members have good results with USB?

Which cable are you using and what is the length?

(I don’t want to start a discussion IF a USB cable technically can make a difference. There are enough discussions on the internet already between the believers and dibelievers)

Freek

I found Audioquest USB cables to be superior to the standard issue ones that come with computer peripherals.

1 Like

The only nice USB cable that I have tried was the Nordost. I did not care for it because, in my system, it seemed to accentuate a grainy quality in the sound.

I have not done a comparison of quality cables, however, my Wireworld Ultraviolet is clearly superior to a cheap generic.

1 Like

@afridi

did you use a specific audioquest cable?

I read good things about the audioquest carbon cable.

should I use a 75 cm cable or the 1,5 meter cable?

Also the Wireworld gets good reviews.

And the mapleshade clearlink. But I cannot try that one before I buy, because it is not available in europe.

The Clarus Crimson Cables sound excellent. I can vouch for the IFi cables as well.

I use the Audioquest Diamond, .75mt My understanding from speaking with a few industry types is that shorter is better.

If you are in the USA you could borrow a few from The Cable Company and decide for yourself

www.thecableco.com

thank you erik.

I live in Holland, but my dealer does Audioquest so it will be possible to test them. Did you try the Diamond together with the coffee and the carbon?

I prefer the Transparent Premium with Empirical Audio’s Short Block over Audioquest Diamond or the Bridge, more analogue for me. Best cheap cable I tried is Belkin Gold for $5-6.

Freek- Nope bought it based on the reviews ( all outstanding) and the recommendation of Gordon Rankin, of Wavelength Audio

I have several hi quality USB cables.

The most expensive is the audio quest diamond. It uses two triple a batteries that connect to the cable . I have no idea what it is for. The cable sounds very good. I also have wire world cables the flat purple ones.

Also I have one from imperical audio it came with the offramp. When using the offramp with the short block

I cannot tell one cable from another. Without it. The three I hAve compared stock ones there is a small change . It’s a cleaner sound with the better ones. I feel if you use a good USB converter it does not matter .

Just my two cents

Al

I use the Audioquest Carbon to connectmy Logitech Touch and was very surprised by the difference it made. Mine’s a 1.5 meter.

T

1 Like

Won’t it be great if, as Ted mentioned, front end cables become much less important with the new DS.

This will be interesting to experiment with.

Getting rid of some of these “Hi-End” cables would help greatly in paying for the DS upgrade kit.

Of course, I want to know what brand coat hangers Ted’s been testing the system out with. :-))

T

Just to give you an idea: I use all USB2 devices with stock USB cables. I first use a cheapo 25’ active usb cable extension so I never accidentally pull a cable out, then a 4 port cheapo Belkin hub. Out of that hub goes my music library on two 2T USB powered portable drives and a cheap cable to a Toshiba USB Docking station. The docking station has two levels of USB hubs in it and I use the Ethernet out of it, my USB oscilloscope, my USB MicroChip ICD3 for uP development, my USB for the NuWave Phono Converter, my M2Tech HiFace Two USB -> S/PDIF converter, some other USB crap and finally the USB for the DirectStream.

I keep reading people saying you need to put your music library on … drives and, if they are USB connect them directly to you computer. I read that you shouldn’t share your audio USB circuit with other USB devices, especially any USB disk drives. …

To heck with it. Plug things in how it’s convenient and enjoy the music.

Perhaps I should admit that I can see the scope packets on the scope when I use the scope so the USB chain does make some difference. I only hear it with extremely soft music or when I turn the volume way up when debugging. Things like the refrigerator upstairs, fans on computers in other rooms, etc. are much more significant.

This sounds good. Now I am also hoping the P10 ,s would negate power cable .? Any thoughts on this .

Al

Not thoughts from me :slight_smile: In my personal system I have a raft of power cords and various power cord accommodations that I search thru every time I add or change equipment. I can sort of predict what cord will work with what, but often I am surprised. I tried to have the power cords not matter at all for the DirectStream, but tho I’m not embarrassed at the differences they may make I wasn’t quite as successful with them as I was with input cables.

Ok thanks for the honesty.

Al

I have a Roon Nucleus + running on a 19V Sbooster LPS, with USB to a Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2, and WireWorld Silver Sphere HDMI running I2S to my Directstream dac. I have the BHK Pre and BHK 300s going to Amphion Krypton 3 speakers. There is an Uptone Audio 7.5V adaptor to the Matrix until my Farad Super 3 arrives. I have an AfterDark LPS going to my EtherREGEN, with custom AfterDark Cat8 cables to the Nucleus. All run off a P20.

A printer USB cable was un-listenable.
The upgraded Matrix Audio USB that I bought with the X-SPDIF was great, but I was asked to beta test a USB cable under development by Sonic Art. Simply incredible. It is truly a big component level upgrade. He is NOT getting this cable back. It is not so much a veil being lifted but a curtain, and my setup is a revealing one. The music sounds so effortless, musical and incredibly detailed in a way that is truly engaging and entrancing. It blows the Matrix Audio USB out of the water, which may go to printer duties. I haven’t compared it to other high end USB cables, but what it has done to my system is breathtaking.

1 Like

I also have a MacBook Air and am using an Audioquest Cinnamon 1Meter with USB C on one end so no need for a hub

3 Likes