"White Album" 2018 Remix, 24/96 download Reviews?

Anyone want to share thoughts on the new remix of the Beatles’ White Album - especially the 24/96 download version . . . . How’s it sound?

There’s a little already buried in the What are you spinning thread. Here’s my input.

44.1/16 on Tidal sounds pretty good to me. Far better than the remaster from some time ago, and better than MQA too, though very close, to my ears.

The ‘clip-clops’ on I Will are fantastic.

Where have you found 24/96 download for sale?

It looks like HDTracks has it.
http://www.hdtracks.com/the-beatles-white-album-super-deluxe

Thanks, it doesn’t appear they have any of the other variants. I’m looking for the 3-CD version in 24/96 to purchase.

Yeah. It’s only the super deluxe version.

Here you go, @brett66

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/#quickview/album/24477

They have the Super Deluxe version on sale, too:

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/#quickview/album/24478

I’m amazed at the endless revenue stream for the Beatles reissues. I’ve never found any of the digital reissues to sound very good. Is this one a remix or just another remaster?

The Beatles 2009 Mono remasters are definitive in my book. As close as we’re likely to get to the original intent.

It’s an actual remix produced by Giles Martin - son of George Martin. I haven’t heard it and I was interested in hearing from others before laying out $55.00 for the Deluxe version ($99 for the Super Deluxe version).

They are $44 and $79, respectively, at the links I posted above.

Oh - same as latest SGT Pepper - Didn’t think that sounded very good at all. Reviewers liked it. I think the “Love” and Let it be - Naked (high res digital) sound good. I always thought, sound wise, all these recordings were always over rated - love the music though…

Hi

I have the 2009 mono mixes already.

I will probably get the Deluxe Version of this but it is only Redbook quality I think - it’s 3 discs in under 1 Gb of space.

The 24/ 96 is as someone correctly pointed out only the Super Deluxe Version but there seem to be a lot more outtakes and demos on another 2 disc equivalents which for me are academic (although AMG is gushing over it). It’s 5 disc equivalent and is over 6 Gb in size which is a turn off for me unless the 24 /96 of the first 3 discs are that much better than the Redbook. Or is it just upsampled Redbook. Can someone who has done the comparison comment?

Thanks

Not having the RBCD version of this release, I can’t comment on how the 96/24 compares. I can, however, say that after sampling the spectral frequency analysis of several of the 107 tracks in the 96/24 SDE, none appear to be upsamples. Few have significant information above 30k and some have little above 16 or 17k, but I suspect that is an artifact of the original recording method and not evidence of upsampling from 44.1/16 sources. There is no sign of a 22k haircut that would result from using a Redbook source.
Disk drives are cheap and life is short. Don’t let a few GBs keep you from enjoying this release.

Actually, there is a 24/96 downloadable version of the three-disc set:

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/#quickview/album/24477

Thanks. Will be getting that

I downloaded it yesterday. This remix is very faithful to the original. Right away, it’s apparent that there is more bass and drum emphasis - which I believe the original lacked. There is also more clarity; allowing the plucked strings of acoustic guitars to sound slightly ‘cleaner’ (I would have to use the old “vaile has been lifted” metaphor). I also noticed a better center stage (but on some tracks the drums are still off in the right channel). I give this one a thumbs up.

The Esher Demos are a revelation to me. Did Giles Martin mix those tapes or are we hearing the mix raw but mastered only? I hear typical Beatles tricks like double tracking vocals. I could dive into the 1000+ page thread on Hoffman’s site but that’s a lot of work.