Why no hi res of Katy Lied? Nor any download?

Just like all Bruce Springsteen albums!

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I was happily surprised by the new vinyl release of Greetings From Asbury Park. It actually sounds pretty good! Considering how bad Springsteen releases have always been, it comes across like some kind of miracle!

1 Like

Someone on the Hoffman forums contacted AP and asked about the difference between the HDTracks and AP SACD of Aja. The reply:

"Although the PCM version on HDTracks was also mastered by Bernie Grundman from the same sources, we went through several revisions on the mastering with Bernie before we were satisfied so our Analogue Productions version is exclusive to our SACD and is different than what HDTracks has for sale.

Best regards,
Acoustic Sounds, Inc."

2 Likes

interesting. Dammit, makes me wanna get it. Grrrrrr

2 Likes

dangit I’m temped to get em all just because. Katy Lied, Gaucho and Royal Scam look like pre-order, but the rest I think are in stock. Ahdunno. I have em all on vinyl and CD already. What am i, nuts?

Admitting it is the first step to recovery. Kidding aside, just do it.

2 Likes

ok, order placed.

i hate all of you people

1 Like

Good move! Look forward to your review(s).

1 Like

No more nuts than me. :crazy_face: I got all of the ones that are available a couple of days ago.

2 Likes

The CBaT SACD is in my mailbox. I am psyched to check it out this weekend.

Apparently, the new Aja remaster by Bernie Grundman is 'da Bomb. See:

1 Like

Fans of the Dan will be well served by the AP UQR, best Steely Dan I have heard. I should add the following disclaimer, I don’t spin SACD.

4 Likes

got my Steely SACDs. Listened to Two Against Nature last night. Does sound reaaaallly good.

I feel like I did hear things in the recordings I hadn’t noticed before, but it could be because I was trying to listen closely.

Let’s just leave it at that.

2 Likes

I’m on the fence about the SACD, actually. The UHQR vinyl is fantastic, but after level matching the SACD with an ancient CD version I have (not sure which one it is - I’ll have to try and figure that out) both my wife and I like the CD version better. The SACD version sounds less fluid (surprise! SACDs are typically described as being more fluid that the CD versions), and “tighter” but not in a way either one of us liked. My wife said by comparison the SACD sounded a little “constipated”. I won’t disagree with her.

1 Like

I purchased the UHQR of Aja. Going through my collection recently, I discovered that I have the 1977 version along with a “super disc” 1979 copy. I hate to say this, but to my ears and system, the 1977 version sounds the best. I found the UHQR to be lacking in dynamics and “dull”. The 1979 copy sounds thin and strident. I love this album and it is the only album that I own three copies of and just did a comparison. Not looking for a war, just my findings and opinion.

2 Likes

I have the ‘77 as well. It sounds good. :wink:

2 Likes

For Aja I must have lost my old album somehere in my many moves since high school, so a few years back I bought some German 180g vinyl pressing (2008). That one sounds really good.

If I stumble across an older 1977 pressing, i’m sure I’ll grab it.

https://www.discogs.com/release/2884821-Steely-Dan-Aja

y’all probably have seen this, but this guy does a comparison of all the Aja sources. UHQR 45, older vinyl pressing, CD, hybrid SACD, SACD-SHM, downloaded hi-res.

Definitely likes the UHQR 45RPM version the best.

he does admit that it’s really equipment/gear dependent.

I don’t think I have the patience/gear/ears to make this comparison myself. At some point, it gets a bit absurd.

:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Pick the one you like, enjoy it for the music’s sake, and don’t obsess. Imagine Donald and Micheal writing a song regarding audiophile obsessions. I have an original 1977 LP, a CD of some sort, and the UHQR. I play what is handy.

6 Likes

I listened to the Qobuz 24/192 version yesterday and it’s the best version I’ve heard. Mind you I don’t have any of those expensive LPs you hear about, just a couple of garden variety copies I bought used.

1 Like

That 1977 release rocks my world.

1 Like