Why not a DAC that is a three way crossover?

If you are going all out, why not two or three sets of XLR outs each with a split in select-able frequency ranges? Heck if we are doing that, then why not a digital in/out loop where you can have a sophisticated, outboard equalizer too?

Think about it guys, you could sell four or six amps instead of just two!

Peace
Bruce in Philly

1 Like

I’d buy one of these.

Would be great if you wanted to add subs and super tweeters! DSpeaker does a two way in the X4. It’s a dac and a pre with DSP but can be used simply as an adjustable crossover with shelf type filters and other features to integrate separate boxes.

If it was a DS it would be a problem, that’s basically three analog cards. They cost more than the digital card so you can estimate the price at somewhere between 2.25 to 2.5 x the DS’s price. Then there’d probably be a new case…

http://www.stereotimes.com/amp021513.shtml

That would be great Bruce, there is at least one DAC supplier I know of that makes one: Totaldac from France. The thing is however, if you invest in that sort of material and you get to a point, like me where you want to play a plastic record with a device called a “turntable” you are stuck. Unless of course you AD that first.
Greetz from the old country,
Ronald

Hi Veneet, that device you linked to is a fantastic instrument. However, it is so totally not balanced…! That by itself should make it obsolete in this community, where all the goodies are fully balanced.
Greetz from tulip land,
Ronald

Hi Ted,
It is as if I know you for years already which, in a morbide kind of way, is kinda true. I’ve watched all the material you were in and all the stuff you wrote. That PS Audio DAC you have created is a master piece by itself. The (overall) simplicity is genious. Just saying, while I saw your picture in this thread.
Greetz from the land of legal weeds,
Ronald

That is a great point Ronald!

1 Like

Would many people want such a thing?

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

Ok, so a two way crossover requires, a processor board to allow for select able crossover, and then literally, two stereo DSPs. I get it, way more expensive… but still, so what?

But the Digital out/in loop could allow for an outboard equalizer and other DSP… although the only DSP I would want is a sophisticated parametric equalizer. That out/in loop would add cost, but then you could sell a whole new unit, the equalizer.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

With an FPGA things like digital out/in loops only cost about as much as the connectors. FPGAs and DSP chips (and for that matter recent general purpose processors) can do multichannel equalizers, etc. fairly easily. I’ve toyed with doing a DSD based DSP processor with things like speaker crossovers, sub crossovers (with things like the “small”/“large” settings done right), speaker distance correction, etc. On the other hand I’m busy right now :slight_smile:

A nice feature of an equalizer loop, are equalizer settings that are first by default, and then specific settings for particular CDs or music, or a set of say 5 different settings accessible by remote. I have a boatload of badly produced CDs that really need some work… press one button that I set up for “ear bleeders”.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Switchable EQ settings (or switchable more general DSP settings) is reasonably easy in a DSP based DAC. (Doing clean transitions takes a little work.)

Looking at your suggestion from a purposely myopic point of view: I’d like to have such a feature be automatic, but a DAC by itself doesn’t know anything about tracks or albums. But a server has the needed information, so a bridge like device to get that metadata to the DAC could do it, but a server with the DSP that you want seems like it would be interesting.

It all starts to sound like MQA… Brrrr…