Will the Current Resurgence in Vinyl Acquisition Be its Ultimate Undoing?

Vinyl Resurgence

With bands getting back to live performances one comment typically heard is their frustration with having product in hand to support new release tours.

I have not yet read the article, but it’s interesting that probably just a lesser amount of at least Jazz and Rock/Pop artists think towards producing a piece of art and persistence in terms of a programmatic or documentary album, archiving a state of work or development.

I can understand this on the one hand because the own artistry constantly evolves and the artists usually like their latest status best and have little interest in preserving a former, less developed status. Important is only the now (especially in case there’s no big money to expect from selling media anyway)…

On the other hand I also don’t understand it, when only such few feel, that what they currently did is worth preserveing…like a painting. A musician not producing captured music media somehow seems to me like an artist/painter who just does live painting for an audience, destroying his work directly when finished. Inspite of a potentially great singular experience, t leaves us somehow empty and leaves the artist and his work vanishing into the nothingness.

I suggest you read the article.

2 Likes

No. If vinyl can withstand the onslaught of the introduction of the CD, DVD-A, SACD, Blu-Ray … name your competing format and those who supported it, it will survive petulant producers who want records for shows and others in the industry who have 5 minute attention spans and patience for product to be produced to match. As the article points out, the pandemic is part of the problem. So what’s new, the pandemic has impacted the production of products of all kinds across all business domains and economic sectors. Vinyl has survived all manner of events since the CD was introduced that were supposed to be the death knell of the format. It will survive its’ own resurgence because we will keep it alive. Just as has been the case for almost 40 years.

1 Like

Hope you’re right and to a large degree I agree with you. Market forces will determine long term viability, production setbacks as in the lacquer facility fire may be just minor setbacks. It’s a matter of if or when capital will flow to provide new production capabilities. Cassette tape may be an indicator, as I never dreamed it would make any sort of comeback. I assume its market is all those hipsters driving gramps’ 78 Olds 88 Delta Royale.

Seriously though, Jaimie’s comments reflect current musician’s feeling regarding production delays and the market’s desire for more than streaming or a digital download. Let’s face it warts and all when done properly vinyl can be quite sexy.

1 Like

That won’t last for long.

I like it, actually. Sweet, classic ride. Great color. Wonder if the interior is as clean as the exterior. :slight_smile:

I like your sense of style. A smooth ride down LSD with the windows down mid-day in August on the way to Lincoln Park Zoo. Maybe Leon’s for BBQ.

2 Likes

I look forward to sustained live in person performances for the benefit of the bands and to maintain our collective sanity. We have a solid live in person performance schedule though December, and the bands appreciate it. They thrive with the audience feedback.

Will the perfect dinner I had tonight spoil my breakfast tomorrow?

Never did in my experience. Maybe it was the Sazerac.

So do l, but I think the powers that be have other plans for us.

It’s a very interesting article. Especially perhaps, the raccoon infestation that caused an Austin shop to be delayed for a week. Raccoons and squirrels are likely the biggest problem vinyl pressing plants face . :wink:

1 Like

No, it won’t.

1 Like

what is your deal

1 Like

In Wales they used to call that kind of onslaught a slug in the gut with a wet lettuce.

Even Adele had to delay the official release of her album by a month because she wants to release it on vinyl and CD and she could not get production slots.