World Cup 2022

Calling all football (er I mean soccer) fans. Everyone following the World Cup? I got onto my computer this morning to see the Saudi Arabia 2, Argentina 1 headline. What the … heck? :anguished:
Messi and friends suddenly don’t look like the juggernauts the bookies predicted.
Wow.

2 Likes

Loving it! Bring on the underdogs!

2 Likes

Go go the Socceroos! 1-0 v France :smile:

3 Likes

that didn’t last long :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Too true. Great while it lasted. I was stunned; you beauty!! can it really be? Hopes raised and dashed in 90 minutes…

That’s football / soccer for you :soccer:

1 Like

Japan just stunned Germany. What a comeback!

Could this be a World Cup of upsets?

Ate breakfast this morning out, sitting next to a couple of patrons watching the match on a laptop. Their jaws dropped.

2 Likes

Team USA advances out of Group B with an absolute nail-biter of a win against Iran.
What a match. Wow!!!

7 Likes

Congrats!! That was tight!

Big game for Australia overnight - win or draw and we’re through, but Denmark is a quality team…

2 Likes

I aged a couple of years in the last half. I need a drink.

3 Likes

Great win but concerned about injuries to Pulisic and Sargent.

At least they don’t play until saturday.

2 Likes

May I just say, “phyeww”

2 Likes

Highlight reel goal by Pulisic. Agree his groin injury is worrisome. He’s by far the US’s most potent striker.
Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Gotta give credit to GK Matt Turner. Two clean sheets and the only goal he surrendered was that Gareth Bale PEN.

I don’t see us getting too too far, but it’s fun to make it to knockout.

4 Likes

Yup. A boneheaded PEN that shouldn’t have happened to boot.

2 Likes

It is so weird to be impressed and hopeful for the USA Team. I like the fact that the average age of the players on todays squad was 24. I like being impressed by them. But I’m all about Brazil, and I wish good things for Venezuela. Messi!

2 Likes

I’m a big Premier League fan, and Everton is the club i support. (For better or worse!)

Jordan Pickford, Everton’s goalkeeper, is England’s #1; and Everton midfielder Idrissa Gueye plays for Senegal. So, if and/or when the US bows out, I’ve got a couple other teams to root for.

(And USAs GK in the 2014 WC was Tim Howard, who also played for Everton.)

Anyway, looking forward to saturday!

2 Likes

The Socceroos advance! Congrats all around to our Aussie friends. Welcome to the party of 16!!

3 Likes

Who’s excited?!! Stunned :hushed: and elated? :smile: Australia have moved into the 2nd round of the World Cup. The energy and commitment of the players was simply amazing.

One of our players Milos Degenik pretty much said it all at the end of the match, every ball is like the last ball in your life and you defend like it’s your life…

Great goal to move into the second round too :soccer:

3 Likes

Oh my! Humdinger of a group finishing up now. Germany and Spain were both going out a few minutes ago. As of now it’s Japan and Spain progressing from Group E.

1 Like

Wow! Japan’s tops the group with wins against Germany and Spain! Spain limps through to the second round with a loss against Japan. Germany goes home.

The first time a team from Asia has topped the group in the world cup. Well done Japan!!

2 Likes