Worth it to upgrade amp's internal leads?

I’m sure the designers at Electrocompaniet knew what they’re doing but to me the internal power leads look kind of skimpy considering the power capabilities of the amp (stable to 0.5ohm, peak current 80A, max output maybe over 400W at class AB, 650VA toroids…)
Might I possibly get improved performance if I replaced the leads to and from the transformers with thicker copper? I know, the lengths are short yes, but everything seems to make a difference and it wouldn’t be costly, so… Worth it to try? Anyone done something similar?

How do you know what guage the leads are? My amp has a 5,000 va transformer and the leads look small compared to the power cord of course.

The ends where they meet the circuit board are stripped so I see they’re fairly small gauge. Well those are from the secondary though, I guess the leads going to primaries are a bit thicker but still…
I’m just wondering if having thicker gauge here would be of any sonical benefit, considering that the lengths are as short as they are.

Warning! You are showing signs of Audiophilia Nervosa! Step away from the soldering iron! :laughing:

I used to do things like this. I messed up a couple of amps because PCBs do not like to be resoldered.

If you really want a project consider upgrading parts in your speaker crossovers.

3 Likes

Ye. That’s what’s been on my mind, actually alongside that to build some plaited crossover wire from dissected ethernet cable. The other channel’s crossover needs repair anyway, so yes. Way to go.
(I really should concentrate on what’s relevant, but financial issues kind of cripple my progress in actually doing anything with my ideas)

2 Likes

I just want someone to upgrade mosquitos so that when they stick you you get a little burst of “oh that feels nice” localized to where they get ya. In summer here in Minnesota we would all sleep outside if this could get done.

2 Likes

I’m impressed with your curiosity. There’s nothing wrong with just increasing your knowledge base on any subject. That puts you ahead of where you were yesterday.
And you don’t fail if you don’t turn every idea into a product. But if you come up with something that lights a fire within you, then look for an investor–as has been suggested before.

1 Like

Unless you are a soldering God I would advise against modifying within equipment unless it is absolutely necessary, particularly in the vicinity of any surface mounted components. It may be faded and ragged now, but I have been there and got the T-shirt :frowning:

3 Likes

Great and very wise answer!!!

Best wishes

1 Like