XLR Y Connectors

If I needed an additional XLR output on the DS DAC could I safely use an XLR Y connector? I wanted to A/B a headphone amp I have the chance to borrow and the sole XLR connector on the back of my DS DAC is routed to the BHK preamp.

No problem; you can use a cable splitter to send a single output to two amplifiers. The output impedance is low enough to drive two inputs with enough current, although there will be a loss of a dB or so.

(Never do the reverse and send two sources to a single input without a summing circuit.)

Thank you. I try to run as much as I can fully balanced. I wish the DS DAC and the BHK had more than a single XLR out. I understand though that I am probably in the minority and most people are running things single-ended.

It is common SE sounds better, especially as balanced is expensive to do right and more significant in long runs of low level signals in an electrically noisy environment (such as a mic feed) than a couple of meters of line level interconnect. A lot of “balanced” equipment is not well designed/built.

Just use an XLR cable splitter if you need more XLR outs. Typically multiple outs on a unit are wired the same way. If you are concerned about quality, buy some Neutrik connectors and Canare or Mogami cable and build your own (or have a pro cable outfit do so for you).

Kimber Kable, as well as a few other manufactures make end to end y-cables. I have a pair of y-cables which are 1M on one side run between my pre and power amp, and 2.5M on the opposite side run between my pre and subs. No signal loss at all since both cables originate from a single connector and are 3.5M combined length.

ihmeyers said If I needed an additional XLR output on the DS DAC could I safely use an XLR Y connector? I wanted to A/B a headphone amp I have the chance to borrow and the sole XLR connector on the back of my DS DAC is routed to the BHK preamp.
Agreed. No problem.
nortonkp said No signal loss at all since both cables originate from a single connector and are 3.5M combined length.
The power loss results from what the source is now driving; two inputs takes more current than one. It has nothing to do with a single connector or cable length (within reason). As I noted, the loss is typically just a dB or so which few are likely to notice.

“It is common SE sounds better, especially as balanced is expensive to do right and more significant in long runs of low level signals in an electrically noisy environment (such as a mic feed) than a couple of meters of line level interconnect. A lot of “balanced” equipment is not well designed/built.” - Elk

An unfortunate truth.

The reference to ‘no signal loss’ was in regards to sound quality since end to end y-adapters negate 4 additional connectors in the signal path.

A unique, personal definition of “signal loss.” :slight_smile: