You might be an audiophile if

My wife calls the stereo, my girlfriend. I tell her I have enough love for both of them.

4 Likes

I heard this before!

1 Like

And this too!

When you are listening to your system and on an audio forum at the same time.

9 Likes

When you sit between your Digital room and Analog room deciding on Vinyl or CDs.

7 Likes

When you’re eager to play certain music you just have on vinyl, but then ritually play a different CD first in order to have a proper general reference in mind.

Sorry for this small excursus to todays Paul‘s post :wink:

6 Likes

You have to move the Christmas tree from its normal location because it degrades the sound from the stereo.

10 Likes

You buy two Christmas trees of the exact same size and density to place in the L/R corners of the room, and decorate them with a proper mix of reflective and absorbtive ornaments.

10 Likes

…if your wife after Christmas disposed the mix of your acoustically placed Christmas trees together with your multiple Shakti Hallographs and wooden wall absorbers, because she thought all of this was just Christmas decoration of your man cave.

1 Like

Your Christmas ornaments are little Shakti Hallographs

2 Likes

You argue the acoustic merits of spruce vs. Douglas fir

3 Likes

You put your Christmas tree foundation on Isoacoustic Gaia Titanium

4 Likes

You can hear the diff between LED lights and the incandescent ones.

Bonus points for comparing NOS incandescent light strings from the 1950’s…

1 Like

If the main topic of the Christmas evening with your family is the unfortunately diminished 3D soundstage perspective of the playing Christmas music album.

1 Like

If your brother in law calls the listening session after Christmas dinner, “punishment.”

2 Likes

Especially if you are considering Ron’s Shunyata Sigma NR power cord for those Christmas tree lights, and maybe a digital version if the lights are the LED variety.

Personally, I just place a live potted Frasier Fir for it’s softening of hard transients. The frequency of watering and amount substantially impacts the soundstage width and depth.

When the Little Angel on top of your tree doubles as an FM antenna.

2 Likes

You get scowled at as someone rewinds a pivotal dialogue scene in the movie because you were reciting the makes & models of the audio gear that was in the blurry background and critiquing the placement of the speakers…

(Kinda like the scene where the Ford vehicle speeds away and next scene the driver tunes in a station on the AC Delco radio…)

2 Likes

I just recently watched “Everybody Wants Some” directed by Richard Linklater and there is one scene with a group of guys sitting around this GORGEOUS classic Marantz receiver listening to Pink Floyd’s “Meddle” on a vintage Pioneer turntable. I was practically drooling in my lap.

2 Likes

Tear jerker story a buddy shared with me last year … as a collector of vintage audio gear many local folk with similar interest stop in at my work shop as I have dozens of pieces visible - one fellow audio geek was returning his empties at the local recycle depot. They recycle electronics as well. A lil old lady had one of the workers help her ‘recycle’ some electronics as her husband had passed. My buddy overheard & saw the 3rd & last item as it went into the building. He begged, pleaded, offered BIG money for these pieces. But the kid working there kept repeating “NOPE - Once it crosses this door - its GOTTA be returned & recycled. …” Eventually he cut the power cords off & broke the tubes with a hammer to make my buddy go away. My buddy nearly cried. He described the 3 pieces to me and thru several online picture searches we deduced it was
Marantz 8b
Marantz 7 or 7c
Marantz 10b
Buddy said they were mint. Beyond the collectibility heartbreak, we figured it was probably worth around $15,000 (Can).
Gawd only knows what speakers were in that house…

2 Likes