62 years old and enjoying music more than ever!

I’ve been an audiophile since forever and now I have a system with which I am happy to retire with
I notice that there’s many of us in our sixties enjoying audio and this forum. Audiogon has lost it’s juice but this forum goes on. I miss the talk about the Mk2 and Mk1dacs but I have a fully modded Mk1 to keep me busy.

17 Likes

Never to old to enjoy the hobby especially for those of us who
started by building our own tube kits with point to point wiring…

Young whiffer schnaffer you :grin: :innocent:

Best wishes

4 Likes

Get off my lawn…

2 Likes

And here I was thinking 60’s is really old… Nah, jk, I bet the 60-decade is prime audiophile participation, moreso than any other age decade (perhaps 50’s, but I’d guess 60’s would be even higher than 50’s ----- now 70’s vs 50’s, that might be close one). Seems like many here are in their 60’s - congrats on the system

I didn’t know they made people that young anymore . . .

6 Likes

People over such old age still remember and play music?

1 Like

And guess what? They can even align tracking angle, adjust vertical height
and tracking weight…my goodness today’s carts are hard put to track at
1/2 to 3/4 gram weight…oh yes and set anti skate…

Anything more than 1/2 to 3/4 gram was considered a nail record chewing groove destroying
pile of junk… :grin: :innocent:

Best wishes

1 Like

even with shaky hands and fingers

1 Like

No shaky hands n fingers here…not allowed!!! :grin:

Best wishes

1 Like

61 here and same, although I could still see some upgrades if I can ever afford them. Perhaps bhk 600 and FR20s, but if not, I’ll be well satisfied with what I’ve got.

4 Likes

63 here. It’s interesting the number of people I meet, all younger, who can’t wrap their head around listening to an entire album or buying one for that matter. I still enjoy reading the liner notes. I started this journey listening to my older brother’s system. When he moved out, I was like, damn! I really miss the music. My first system was his old speakers, his old cassette deck, a 50 watt integrated amp and a turntable he convinced my parents to buy me for Christmas. Now the system is no where near the modest and I’m very happy with it. The only thing that might persuade me to upgrade would be after a repair/replace trade. I’m still listening to a Mark Levinson No. 28 preamp. It’s been serviced twice in the 30 years I’ve owned and it’s still going strong. I’m sure there’s something that sounds better, but by how much?

1 Like

oh how I lusted for mark levinson (electronics!) in the 1980s

2 Likes

It’s good stuff and it really holds up well. I had a Proceed (baby levinson) transport and D to A for 20 years before the transport gave up. A couple years ago I picked up a No. 390S that had just been serviced. The owner was moving to Italy and the voltage is different, so he was selling everything. I really wanted his No. 336 but since I’m happy with my M1200s, and I can’t pick the Levinson up, I passed.

I was just shy of my 68th when the last pieces of my current setup arrived last summer. I’m happier with my sound than I’ve ever been in my life, and for once I don’t feel even a psychological need to upgrade further. Which is good, since my income stream will be drastically reduced after another 6 weeks. I even made it through the recent PSA amp trade promotion, resisting any urge to move from my M700s to M1200s, all without even a slight facial tic. :wink:

4 Likes

Ditto here, but in the late '70s. ARC, too.

Actually same here

I began my time with Lryic Hifi in 1978 when I moved to Manhattan; my exposure to ML began, but pricing was too huge; I some point I went with Bryson and Conrad johnson

I wonder if cousin Paul (you known who right? :grin:)…is
the oldest audio aholic in these here parts…:grin:

Hopefully the younger generations will get
a taste of this here hobby…

Best wishes

3 Likes

Temptation is knocking at your door. Craig with PSA’s trade-in program possibly a pair of gently used M1200s will pop up at TMR for a great price. Just a thought.

1 Like

How do each of you promote the hobby to younger generations? I do a three things, provide lightly worn vintage equipment I have restored at no cost or little cost to those interested, provide a free vinyl at record stores and audio shops to younger ears, provide free tickets to live jazz events in town to students. I’d like to think it has opened more than a few doors to the music via the hardware.

4 Likes

So I’ll jump in, being a 67ish crusty curmudgeon, retired for some time and at times still miss my work. I can’t say I strictly have one primary system, but my analog based system is the one I hold in highest regard. While rather long in tooth having assembled it in the late 1990s it provides the sound I am most pleased with.
Linn Sondek LP 12 Denon DL-304 (since replaced with a VPI Prime Ortofon Quintet Black)
Audible Illusions Modulus 3 (since replaced with a Modulus 3A JC MC section)
conrad-johnson Premier 11a
Genesis V with servo amp
Nirvana SL and SX-LTD wire loom
Steve Blinn and Target audio racks
Most power cords are captive so no upgrades
Sounds like music to an incredible degree.