Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

Congrats, enjoy! You make me feel tempted to abandon the start of my digital journey back to a more comfortable (and pleasant) vinyl territory…

1 Like

Once you have a digital system in place that you feel is meeting your needs, I think you’ll be very pleased. The immediacy of quality music playback via streaming with the wealth of metadata that comes with it is addicting.

5 Likes

That is where I am with my stereo gear. Whatever I am “missing” by not having a disc spinner of any kind is more than made up for by the convenience and experience of a high quality digital playback only system.

7 Likes

I like having both systems. My digital system has gotten to be so engaging from all the upgrades and tweaking, and some of the music that I have and enjoy, that I do not have with my turntable, if I can, why not have both.

7 Likes

I enjoy the tactile nature of playing records, I also like setting up turntables and dialing in carts, bin diving, all the good stuff

Digital is getting better and better and is super convenient but to me vinyl just sounds better and is always my go to for critical listening and system evaluation

Best,
-JP

6 Likes

I’m primarily vinyl in my system, I do have my PC hooked up but not for any serious listening, more for media stuff. And I have a Naim Muso wireless streamer speaker that I had setup before investing in my analogue setup, that’s currently in the attic but will eventually have that as the bedroom system.

But yeah, sound aside, for me the physical experience of records is something I just never got with CD, tape or Digital. I get, in those days, I wasn’t buying limited editions at all which is something I do frequently now, and perhaps that would have involved me more, but there’s something so rewarding about vinyl as a medium, from placing the record, to the physical packaging, so investigating each individual pressing, to finding the best price on the second hand market for that 50 year old original pressing.

It’s just so exciting in a way I hugely took for granted on all other mediums. Not really something I can tangibly explain really, other than that huge feeling of excitement with every record that comes through the door, and every record I put on.

2 Likes

Perfectly said.
I would add, though, that while cooking or during–let’s call it “advanced affection”, digital rules.

4 Likes

Dancing in the kitchen and the bedroom.

2 Likes

This is the 3rd consecutive evening I’m playing only digital. No CDs and LPs. Never happened!

The Times They Are A Changing (?)

Each time you provided an advice Vince, I have to admit I found it sooo useful for my journey! Keep going on, I happily follow you!

It’s all about music and I would be happy if it was a win win win solution. The magic is in the engagement the music provides to our souls when I feel ourselves so in contact with it. I recognize that listening to records is by far my ideal mood but I need to explore deeper in digital world before judge it superficially as I’ve done for years.

Time will tell.

3 Likes

I’ve reached somewhat of and end point this week. A complete signal-cable loom has been changed! I went from all Cardas Clear to Townshend F1 interconnects and speaker cable and AudioQuest Diamond USB & Vodka Ethernet. The change has been well worthwhile in monetary terms and I’d happily do it again.
There a great deal more body to the sound and imaging has become pinpoint. The soundstage is bigger especially in height (!) and the texture on offer now is superb. There’s more, but why type when I can listen?
I lent a box of Telos, Akiko and Furutech tweaks to a Buddy and they’ll be back in two weeks, which should put the finishing touches on.
Could I want for more? Three more power cables from @Duncan_Taylor will need to happen at some point, and a pair of REL S510s would be delicious, but they’ll all have to wait. I’ve set myself to retire at 57 so I’ve only 8 more years to get that in order.

5 Likes

I have a Tidal playlist “ bump in the night”

4 Likes

I should’ve said that I also replaced a set of IsoAcoustics GAIA under the speakers with Townshend Seismic Podiums. There’s no denying they’re comparatively expensive, but they bring more benefit and are much easier to set up.
AND!!! I upgraded the fuses in the Innuos Zen MK3 and Isotek powerboard. The Zen got a QSA Violet (WOW!) and the Isotek a QSA Yellow. I know the talk around here is mostly M-1 currently, but the QSA deserve some attention.

So cable loom, speaker isolation and fuses. All of these changes together have added resolution, soundstage size, texture, richer colours, better micro and macro dynamics, and an overarching sense of ease to music playback. I can’t wait to get my box of tweaks back…

Damnit. I didn’t need to read this.

2 Likes

I got my DS Audio 003 from Jose (Dr Vinyl) it us the best cartridge ive ever heard and includes up to Ortofon A95. I run the DS Audio USA FB page

5 Likes

At this point I really don’t know what I’m missing, just not sure which would give me the better improvement. I think my amp is still holding its own with todays amps so I’ll probably go with the DS MKII if I can wait that long.

I have looked at the Townsends but concluded that they were over my budget. Also, would need to order custom size to fit the square base of my speakers. Got a discount at the Pacific Audio Fest on AV Room Services EVP thingies. I was assured that they are not the same as the cheap lookalikes that one finds for really cheap on Amazon. Still pretty expensive but much less than the Townsends and less than Isoacoustics for my 100 kg speakers. Running Herbies feet now. They helped to reduce the vibrations in the suspended floor. I am hoping that the EVPs do much better.

2 Likes

A new to me (previously loved) M700***** purchased from a fellow forum denizen.

This will serve as my center channel amplifier in my dual-hat HT/Hi-Fi system - freeing up a channel from my multi-channel amplifier for who knows what.

*****Pic from the PSA website:

4 Likes

The denizen is curious about the condition of the unit. Did it arrive intact?

1 Like

So far so good…will be firing it up shortly - but looks unblemished/undamaged from the outside and the boxes were NOT beat up upon arrival.

Thanks.

3 Likes

The Denizen is pleased.

4 Likes