Your Next Upgrade? (Part 2)

I was playing with an SL2 a few hours ago at our local Leica dealer. To say it’s nice is such an understatement. It oozes quality.

3 Likes

And a NEW Nikon 45.7MP mirrorless for under $2k

1 Like

It’s not fair to the Nikon to compare it to the Leica.

2 Likes

SL is build like something belongs in a scout sniper’s backpack. What a price…

Not in my 30s anymore however… most of the time even a M or Q is too much to lug around while traveling

1 Like

For years the reason to get a Nikon camera was because of the lenses. The Nikon lenses are still nice. I still have an old Canon DSLR with a dust removal feature that really works well. Also still have a super-old Nikon DSLR, a 3mp D100.

But don’t have a newer DSLR, yet.

2 Likes

I enjoy my trusty D300. Completely obsolete by days standards but the pictures are just as good as when it was new. DSLRs are like DACs. You need to replace them every couple of years if you feel compelled to keep up with the latest thing.

2 Likes

The analog Nikkors don’t really jell well with modern sensors, they were great for Kodachrome and Fuji’s Velia positives and the likes. They just don’t have that bite/resolution when paired with modern sensors past 2015. Some may prefer that of course.

2 Likes

The older lenses also don’t have improved dust protection that the newer lenses have.

1 Like

All that money for a camera that will most likely be used to take pictures of cups of coffee. Black coffee.

11 Likes

But it’ll be the cup that makes the picture what it is!

4 Likes

4 Likes

This looks nice…

7 Likes

And espresso machines.

8 Likes

And grinders!

7 Likes

11 Likes

Exactly!

1 Like

You would love visiting Melbourne, Australia. Coffee is a religion there. Top notch machines!!

2 Likes

My Italian nature makes me feel embarrassed each time we talk about espresso, my friends. I think you consider undrinkable our short (concentrated) drop of coffee in a very small cup. Like cocaine collateral effect.
On the contrary, when we are abroad, we suffer a lot. even explaining to the barman that we want just a drop of coffee we usually obtain quantity of liquid that should fill 5 of our usual cups. We consider that “dirty water”, not espresso.

The rule would be that an espresso should be drunk in two small sips (called ristretto), maximum three. It must be savored, it must not quench thirst as if it were a drink.

Life is strange!

12 Likes

In some restaurants here if you order a “double espresso” what you will get is the same amount of ground coffee but double the water used in its preparation. As a result I’ll get a regular espresso and if in the mood some Sambuca either in the coffee or on the side “con la mosca.”

For those unfamiliar, ordering the Sabuca con la mosca and lightimg it will cause the beans to infuse the liquer with a bit of coffee flavor.

7 Likes

Making notes.

2 Likes