Your Next Upgrade? (Part 2)

I shimmed under the Tonearm mount on my RP-10. Not much of a problem. It’s a fine turntable!

4 Likes

I’m sure it is! Given it’s setup by pros or someone that knows what they are doing.

You can’t really do half a shim or 1/3 of a shim :smiley: I found with the 2m Black, a teeny tiny change in the VTA changes the sibliance/highs in significant ways, ranges from meh to magic…

Plus I can’t even try a 2M black on anything rega short of using 3+ shims, that’s just silly in my book.

I had a TT that had VTA adjustment on the fly. It was supposed to be beneficial for different record thicknesses. It was really easy. I tried it a couple times. Then never again.

2 Likes

I agree either one buys into the Rega model or you look elsewhere. Nothing wrong with Rega, just limited in cartridge options IME. They are a great option for someone that wants to just listen to music and not tweak, tinker and cartridge swap to eek out the best sound.

No argument, it is just that it’s not everyone’s thing. The strength of Rega turntables is set-up is all worked out by their engineering team. I’ve recommended and set-up many entry level turntables for friends that put their coin in LPs not turntables, and they are most happy with them. Just not a tweakers turntable.

But I bought my RP-10 without a Rega Cartridge. Who does that??!!

3 Likes

You are not normal and in a good way. A most informed purchase IMO.
I had considered it more than a few times. The Naia was on my shortest of lists, that is until the Axpona demo. Best demo of the year to date IME as it resulted in the Sutherland Little Loco and Mutech Hayabusa in house.

4 Likes

Again, not intended as derogatory. Do you expect decades old R2R prerecorded tapes to sound good enough to justify the purchase of a vintage Revox?

1 Like

No Problem my friend,
You don’t seem to be aware that brand new releases come out on Reel To Reel Tape. At Axpona this year I bought a brand new release of Yello- Stella. Two brand new metal reels with brand new tape of a recently created recording made from the Original Master Tapes.

New “Master” Recordings are released all the time. People spend over $50K on newly created Reel to Reel tape decks. They aren’t shopping at Goodwill hoping to find an old tape that works. :wink:

Perhaps you are unaware that many Audiophiles consider Tape the very best source available. It is a very expensive world though. Brand New Tapes of whatever album tend to cost $500 or more.

Look here to see:

https://elusivedisc.com/music/reel-to-reel-tape/

7 Likes

This is a treasure. 4-reel Ultra-Master Tape Edition from Acoustic Sounds. Wonder how it sounds.

1 Like

@luca.pelliccioli - help out here. Do you remember this thing called “turntable”?

4 Likes

I actually have this one in storage. Sigh.

3 Likes

Like this one?

Yes I do, last Sunday I enjoyed spinning a few records, amazing! But I went back to digital rig after a while, you definitely made me turn in a lazy guy, my friend!

5 Likes

Not for me but this looks like a good deal for someone.

4 Likes

It’s not an opinion as far as my experience goes, but fact. I have a friend who owns the same mastering deck that Chad Kassem uses (or at least used to use in the 20-teens) when he does tape transfer to the cutting lathe - none of this low end Revox, Tandberg, or even UHA stuff. We’ve listened many times to direct copies of masters against vinyl made from those very masters and digital made from same (he’s an industry guy), all through highly regarded gear. It’s no contest, not even worth doing after two or three times. Although I expect the differences will be smaller with these lesser decks.

1 Like

mmmmmm

2 Likes

Did you bump your head again???

4 Likes

Saw that yesterday and it could be a good deal indeed.

1 Like

I can’t remember.

4 Likes

Just got this Waversa EXT-2 HDMI Filter, to try between my AppleTV and Sony TV.

3 Likes