Your Next Upgrade? (Part 2)

Screenshot 2024-05-22 at 12.40.51 PM
New turntable incoming.

4 Likes

Is that the 12mm platter version?

2 Likes

Indeed it is, 3D printed as well.

1 Like

I would imagine my MicroRidge stylus would look a little large on the headshell thoughā€¦

1 Like

Optical is The Way on this puppy!

1 Like

More info here, and at $30 not much of a risk.

2 Likes

Just tried my Thorens without its rubber mat. Didnā€™t take long to put the mat back on. No bass and tipped up highs. But the price was right for that experiment.

1 Like

Well, @rkindel the Delrin platter for my Rega from groovetracer is meant to be used without a mat. I use it without a mat with great frequency response. Iā€™ve been using it happily for about nine years. The Delrin platter is certainly the best Iā€™ve used. I have incorporated all the groovetracer mods.

https://groovetracer.com/DelrinPlatter.htm

Rubber mats are often quite thick. Removing it in that case, would bring your headshell down/tilt the tonearm up at the back, giving the exact result that you described hearing.
Good ears.

Yup, swapping out mats impacts all cartridge set-up parameters.

Delrin certainly would be a much better material in this situation than my aluminum platter.

1 Like

My platter has leather bonded to it. Then the soft rubber sealing rings for the Vacuum Hold Down. I have no option to try other mats.

My Rega RP-10 came with the flimsy felt thing. Not for me. I tried a few other mats and came up with a wiener. @paul172 could take a picture of it as the RP-10 lives at his house.

1 Like

Show us your wiener, Paul.

3 Likes

Another satisfied customer from Paulā€™s Audio Storage! lol

In all seriousness does anyone have a mat recommendation?

2 Likes

I like the mat I supplied you with. I have others sitting on the shelf.
But you do not have my permission to modify my turntable! No sir.
LOL

1 Like

As you may already know I limit my time in the RP10ā€™s personal space lol.

I place the record on the platter I drop the needle gently and I slowly walk away.

If I have one beef with the current mat is it seems to attract dust. Yes the cover is on all the time if a record is not playing. Iā€™m not talking a lot of dust but enough to make me wonder were itā€™s coming from. Strange. Where is my Kirmuss???

1 Like

The mat is removable for cleaning.

1 Like

Iā€™m afraid to remove it. :joy:

2 Likes

Iā€™d love a Delrin Platter for my LP12. But no one that Iā€™m aware of will custom make one. My previous MoFi Studiodeck had one and I miss that feature on my Linny.

1 Like

The mat I tried I liked the best was the Herbieā€™s Audio Lab:

2 Likes