Your Next Upgrade? (Part 2)

I think this is the mat that is on Al’s RP10!

1 Like

Funk Firm 3 mm Achromat, using it with my P8, now in its box, to good effect.
The Boston Carbon Mat was a close second on the P8, being slightly thicker than the Rega felt mat shimming was a requirement that I am unwilling to explore.

3 Likes

Shelf liner IMO, tried it and went with the Achromat.

1 Like

I use a Synergistic mat and like it quite a bit, visually it’s a perfect match for my TT

If you want to get all crazy like, you can add the record weight, with the little colored doodads as well🙂

Best,
-JP

1 Like

It looks like it is as one with the Acoustic Signature turntable. Spectacular looking.

On my Avenger

8 Likes

Gotta like that Kuzma Four Point tone arm.

1 Like

Now for something completely different. Has anyone tried a separate power supply on their router? My router to streamer/DAC is fairly direct with a Muon Pro in between. I have considered a mega switch (like the Tempus) but really don’t need one or think the cost justifies the bump. Thought maybe replacing a weak spot in the router could help, from the likes of LHY or Ifi.

I have the melco which comes with the Plixr. Never tried w/o so I cannot compare. I did add a cheopo 5V LPS from alibaba to my media converter before the Melco. Not sure I noticed anything.

1 Like

Yes I did! Dr.Sean Jacobs PSU feeding the router. It sounds nice. I got result also upgrading the DC cable (mundorf silver/gold) from PSU to router.

3 Likes

Luca reported LPS made a big difference on his router, and he tried a IFI Ipower X and did not like it. But his LPS is over $2k so it better made a difference.

I have the same IFI ipower X for my satellite and I remember it improved my streaming SQ over the stock PS a little.

I will receive an IFI Elite PS later today. This one was recommended to be used with my previous streamer (Euphony Summus2). They switched from a LPS to it. I will find out if it is better than my current PS. This is about the right amount I want to spend for a satellite.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I also use a few ifi ipowerx’s on modem & mesh network devices. For the modest price and level of attention I was looking to give to those devices (not a ton), it was an easy & worthwhile upgrade. I have an ifi elite on a SR FEQ, but it’s a different voltage so I can’t try it on network devices.

1 Like

I absolutely do not believe in power supply upgrades for modems. I would not consider it. I have power supplies sitting in storage that would probably work great, just take two minutes and plug them in. I wish to save the two minutes for farting or spitting. Much better use of the time.

(Grumpy much Al??)

2 Likes

Better hold off your farting and spitting for a few minutes and go find that power supply. :laughing:

I just received the IFI Elite PS, and I swear it is doing something to the satellite. Is it better? tomorrow I will know better, I am too tired from golfing today to tell for sure.

3 Likes

So, we have “a lot”, “a little”, and, “not at all”, as it relates to the effects of router power upgrading.
‘Tis the nature of this hobby.

2 Likes

I will try fitting power supplies to my 17 routers tonight.

8 Likes

If you did id be amazed. Since you are a IT type tech wizard extraordinaire

I suspect, after playing, reading, tweaking with this for a while, it’s system dependent as anything else, probably most importantly how your house is wired, and how clean your air is free of EM stuffs(enviornmental). So no one answer for anyone/everyone, try and find out is the only approach.

Also, Hans Beekhuyzen claim in his channel, switch mode PS are better suited for modems and routers, so I put ifi Eiltes on everything and stopped thinking about it.

3 Likes

Power supplies? Pfft. Old news. Different SFP modules and fiber cables is where the fun testing’s at! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I’m halfway through testing 5 different SFP fiber modules. I had nothing better to do.

5 Likes

IME the elite takes a bit longer than the x to settle.

2 Likes