Your Reference Vinyl

Yes, I bought those after I heard how good Spirit Sensitive is.

1 Like

Those would be them, all very good IMO.
I have seen Chico in Chicago in the 70’s and early 80’s. Also his father who would routinely play at Chicago’s Green Mill Lounge on the Northside, in the Uptown Neighborhood.

3 Likes

Ah! The Green Mill. Talk about a Chicago institution. A crucible for the best of the best. Patricia Barber and her band are regulars.

Indeed she is, as was Kurt Elling for a time and Von Freeman as well. Glad to see it getting back on it’s feet. They new standard for live jazz in Chicago could be the Constellation:

1 Like

Grisman Quintet on Kaleidoscope Records:

Solti/Chicago Beethoven 9 (mine is on MoFi), recorded at the Great Hall in Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Illinois in Urbana:

MoFi issue of Crime of the Century (not my own image - sorry for the quality):

The Proprius LP issue of Cantate Domino:

The old Vox/Turnabout Rachmaninoff Symphonic Dances by Johanos/Dallas

1 Like

One of the best sounding records with great flamenco style guitar music for under 10$?

Yes, it’s (still) possible. I was at the live concert of this album’s music in the 80‘s and bought it there. It’s really sounding good as hell, very dynamic. This is a real sleeper. Engineered by Günter Pauler (Stockfisch)

1 Like

I’ll add it to my watchlist. Doesn’t appear any in North America, so may have to bundle with some other items to make shipping worthwhile.

So I’ve made a few more purchases (several due to this thread - thanks!) and now have classified my A+, A, and A- graded vinyl based on sound alone. Here is the latest update - my best sounding (A+) vinyl in no particular order, as of Oct 2021:

https://www.discogs.com/lists/My-Best-Sounding-Vinyl-in-no-particular-order/727456

1 Like

(Not only) If you’re a Steely Dan fan, you should play the title track of this LP (currently still available). Not explicitly in terms of soundstage or anything, but the perfect tonality, energy, groove, music of this track is gorgeous. A showcase one in a special way. The usual music quality of the whole album alone is worth buying it.

2 Likes

Do you prefer original to RSD?

The original was a pretty limited release, so it is rare. I bought the RSD and it does sound really good. It is worth acquiring.

1 Like

No II prefer the RSD. Wrote a comparison somewhere here, the first non official release has a notch at top end openness but overall the new one is better (more dynamic as far as I remember).

1 Like

This one shouldn’t be missed out here. Old vinyl war horse and brilliant in dynamic!, clean! big band sound with 3D imaging and perfect tonality (not always usual for big band recordings).

Maybe the best direct cut ever.

1 Like

I went to the website to order one of these and say what it cost and also that it is on back order.
I searched my system and found I have a DSD copy of the album. It will have to do I guess.

LAP8633
The 45 sounds amazing

4 Likes

You can borrow mine if you want to check it out @aangen

1 Like

I guess those Fantasy 45’s are around the center of every record collection they’re in. Sound so great.

A vote for the Music, actually make that two, and yet another for the sound. All round a great package. As a bonus it is a good source of exercise, being that is is 45 RPM.

1 Like

I now have it and listen, it’s fantastic quality and without any sibliance. Best version by far.

2 Likes

Made some additions to my post 26 in July 2021; it now reflects my top vinyl as of Oct 2021.

2 Likes