2020's almost over

Very grateful to remain gainfully employed and even got a raise and bonus. I have also found that it’s very enjoyable to be able to sit and have lunch with my wife everyday since I’ve been working from home. Audio highlights have to the addition of the M1200s and P12.

6 Likes

My wife of 43 years had a stroke in October 2019. She was able to get all the way through the physical therapy and occupational therapy before covid hit and closed all those face to face rehab facilities. I am grateful for the medical system and her toughness to persevere under life changing circumstances. She has recovered about as much as possible and I am very happy and lucky to still have her here.

My business was considered essential by the governor so we never skipped a beat. We also managed to to apply all recommended mitigation recommendations and keep anyone at the shop from getting the virus. We were even able to pay out nice year end bonuses for all. I was very happy to be able to make that happen again.

Music system additions were a Pink Faun 2.16x Ultra, a pair of P20’s, a pair of BHK 300’s, and a pair of Spatial Audio X5’s. Power cords are Belden and speaker cables are Iconoclast. My system sounds really awesome and at least for now I hove no reason to upgrade anything but you all know how this hobby goes. :grin:

Looking forward to late 2021 for things to be heading back towards pre-covid normal. My wife and I will continue to stay out of crowded public spaces until we are both immunized.

I really enjoy the people here and have learned a lot by simple osmosis. Hopefully you are all able to celebrate the year end holidays in some safe and rewarding fashion.

14 Likes

Something I think a lot of us wish we could do.

3 Likes

Non Musical - After a shoulder shattering fall in April my grandmother has made a full recovery and after recommendations of requiring more care than her daughter could provide she went from a couple months in the hospital, then to a temporary facility and is now pretty much taken over as social & entertainment director at her new retirement residence. She’s about to celebrate her 103rd Christmas and endure her 2nd global pandemic!
Musical: For 40 odd years I have been bragging about how my father had a signed Buck Owens & the Buckaroos Album. I vaguely remember the cover with the guy in his fancy blue jacket & a bedazzled crest of some sort. There was the signature on the left. I figured it must be worth BIG bucks by now. Well my father moved back to the ranch at 81 and that coveted family heirloom is now mine!!!.

In my defense I was TWO in 66 and was probably 6 the last time I saw it… Aw c’mon - WHO WRITES on album covers…? OK…People make TERRIBLE eyewitnesses.

7 Likes

Music-wise I think the highlight has been the new post-COVID connection between performers and audience in socially distanced venues. All performers I’ve heard since March have made speeches about this. The most memorable evening was our second live event after lockdown, Tsoy and Ibragimova, with Kolesnikov joining in. Music, dinner, conversation and alcohol from 7pm to 2am.

Live music takes all precedence over recorded, but getting the wife to become an apprentice audiophile was a MAJOR milestone.

On a personal level, my son getting a great job in his chosen profession in February, after graduating last year.

4 Likes

My two highlights for 2020 other than remaining on the planet another year with the greatest wife anyone could ask for would be:

Musical - On 6 February Putting together a 2 Channel system in my temporary digs. Thanks PS Audio for helping with that. And you know what, thanks to all of you in this forum and especially those who post in the “What are you Spinning” threads who have led me to some great choices.

Non musical - Also on 6 February I turned off the News. I was a junky for it and it was causing my recovery to be affected. So I turned it off and started listening to music and I have felt better ever since in a way that shows in my demeanor and my blood work!

8 Likes

Aiki ,

You nailed that one squarely on the head !!
Music is almost always better than news unless
it is good news !!!

1 Like

Agree on the music threads. My favourite. Don’t post a lot but check them all out. Think I started three of them (classical, audiophile, live). Perhaps @jazznut can start one on 01012021.

1 Like

I am thankful for all my friends here and family at PS Audio have done for me this year. You know who you are. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Mike

12 Likes

You mean another music thread? Hard to get them focused and/or joined by others, but let’s see.

First I wanted to start a thread about @DarrenMyers and Duncan”s podcast, but I even didn’t have the time to listen to their 3 last casts of 1,5 hour length each as due to Covid I didn’t drive by car as long as I usually do every now and then :wink: And as interesting as I think they are, I spend the available spare time at home listening to music and try to hear long podcasts during driving.

A jazz thread.

1 Like

Ah sure. With also some contributions e.g. from @lonson this could get quite interesting in quite different directions of jazz. It needs time, and a lot of ideas maybe rather need a blog format, which isn’t available, than a forum format. Time will tell :wink:

1 Like

You are one lucky listener. I enjoyed greatly her ‘concert’ (Mendelssoh) with the LSO that they have as part of their series on the LSO channel.

1 Like

I would be a fan.

1 Like

My wife did not know Alina until that evening and was smitten. Calls her a force of nature. I’ve heard her with the LSO playing the Mozart 4th violin concerto under Haitink, also many chamber recitals including all the Mozart and Beethoven sonatas.

1 Like

Musical - Adding the BHK pre in the summer and moving to a fully balanced system really took my 2-Channel to listening bliss. Add in all the tips and encouragement through members here and PS Audio really made 2020 a pleasure musically.

Non Musical - I had a heart attack two years ago and have dealt with breathing problems since. With COVID, I knew I’d be a high risk target, but my wife has been really looking out for me this year. I know I joke a lot about her, but reality is she has been my rock and partner getting me through the medical issues - that, and she let me build my own music room; I couldn’t have a better partner in life.

9 Likes

Musical - I bought way too much gear lol.

Non musical - I’m still alive. Good times :smiley:

5 Likes

I love love… there’s nothing quite like it.

4 Likes

… almost over, but not not too late to buy some audio.

Was (h)umming and erring over ethernet switching. I didn’t have a switch on the signal path, but the modem is the start of the problem.

Read Jason Kennedy’s review of the Chord switch (usng English Electric brand name), called Futureshop and just picked it up. Bloody hell. They told me they sell out as fast as they can get them, not surprised. Told me sales are 40% up on last year, they ship loads globally and that’s a problem given the UK is now cut off from the world. Home audio is not dead yet.

Wishing to share this good news, it’s so good I found he reviewed it twice.

I was told recently by a well-known brand that a similar new device for rich people is about to be launched, very soon.

2 Likes

that one at least looks like it’s not a rebadged and repainted net gear gs108 :slight_smile: