Additional outlets for my P12

The small amount of white noise with ears against tweeters is no issue to worry about. The hum in the mids, does it change or go away if you un-plug the subs from the wall or disconnect their cables from the amp? If the hum is not effected when doing either then the subs are not causing you any noise issues. It is possible in may cases to get various amounts of hum when you mix some balanced and unbalanced components on the same circuit. Not always the case but happens in a lot of cases especially when TT power supplies are involved. I would not upgrade to two P15’s as you don’t need them and that money is better spent on any of the things you listed.

Thank you.

Hum is the same if I disconnect the subs (power cable AND/OR interconnects).

All interconnects are balanced: SPP to BHK Preamp - DS DAC Sr to BHK Preamp - BHK Preamp to M1200s amps

The only RCA I use is from TT to SPP - a special new balanced phono cable is on the way (march I hope) from golde note B7.1 tonearm mounted on a brand new Mediterraneo (I will purchase tomorrow or next week from my dealer)

If I disconnect both the TT and the SPP, hum is the same.

At the end if I swap tubes of the BHK Preamp - or if I change them (PSVane 12Au7 and Gold Lion matched pair) hum is the same.

If I turn up the volume, hum increase consequently.

If I unplug all apart from amps, hum goes away.

I suspected the culprit was the preamp but tubes are not the problem. I sent for repair the SPP because it was causing more hum from right channel, now this issue is fixed, little hum is the same from both right and left.

Speakers are not so sensitive (90dB Sonus faber Olympica Nova III)

So I was thinking that investigating in grounding scheme would have some effect.

I agree with your assessment that in the end the BHK preamp is the noise culprit. I finally gave up on mine after three years do to it’s tube quirks and requirements as well as to me excessive self noise. When I changed preamps the noise issues were resolved. While those issues may not cause problems or even be noticeable if using speakers in the sensitivity range of Harbeth’s or the like it was a problem with my Verity’s and Reynauds that are both over 91db.

Which preamp would you introduce into a PS Audio system? Just curious, not in my next plans to replace the BHK for a minor issue I really can live with.

I replaced my with the 6SN7 based Supratek Cabernet which is also a balanced design. Less convenience features but quiet and reliable with a better sounding tube and a separate chassis power supply. Also has adjustable gain from 0-26db which allows me to use it with all of the amps I have around either balanced or SE. Small Australian internet direct company for over 25 years with a 3 month wait time.

The names they use for the different lines of products just make me feel at home! Some Italian wine is a perfect match for listening music hours!
They looks great and I suppose they sing the same. Wonderful choice!

They do sing with a rich and involving sound that just draws you in. On a side note I know you own SF speakers but have you ever listened to Rosso Fiorentino speakers from Florence?

I confess you (and I live in Italy and I use Sonus faber from Vicenza and Gold note from Florence!) I didn’t know this brand! How much I need to learn in audiophile world!

Rosso Fiorentino I only know was a painter, what an ignorant I am!

Don’t feel bad I wasn’t that familiar with them until recently. I have an acquaintance on another forum who is the US distributor and we talked about me trying out a pair. As it worked out I was able to pick up a mint pair of Voltera 2’s from a dealer. It was his personal pair from his home and he was upgrading to a speaker which retailed for about five times the cost.

https://rossofiorentino.com/volterra/

They look gorgeous and I love Volterra, a small ancient village in Tuscany region where you can breathe the typical historical flavor of Renaissance. If possible I will investigate with my dealer in future.

Thank you for your suggestion. Hope you enjoy music with them.

Good news! I replaced my Gold Lion tubes on the BHK Preamp and the hum has reduced so much that seems almost went away at all. Yeah! Just an audible white noise that doesn’t matter and is inherently present on this unit.
I posted on another thread about tube rolling on the Preamp a few impressions about these very silent TAD Tube Amp Doctor 12AU7 Premium Selected and balanced tubes.
Now it’s a question of taste… something magical from GL is lost, especially on the warm side and basses, while natural and mids feeling is better.

1 Like

I’ve found using one of these does the job without any noticeable difference in sound: Husky AW62612 Red & Black 2 ft. 12/3 STW 3 Outlet Extension Cord QTY 2 | eBay