Adventures with REW and DSP Correction

Cool. I haven’t seen combing like that since my Ulfbherts.

Full disclosure: There is a kitchen island about 4 feet behind and to the left of the measurement mic (not directly behind) but this surface has a GIK diffusor absorber panel on it.

You really need to employ the moving mic method of measuring. You will notice a drastic change on your frequency response, and it is much more similar to how our ears perceive.

The result of a measurement is primarily dependent on one’s listening position with respect to the room. If you can’t change your listening position, :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

NOTE: I did try the “moving mic” method and for the lower frequency response (15Hz to 500Hz) it made no discernible difference. For the higher frequencies mic position was so sensitive I didn’t pursue DSP based room correction above 500 Hz which I think is common practice for many. The RT60 looks good from 200Hz to 2kHz and the system sounds fantastic so I will pause at this setup configuration for now.

Thanks all for the input. I’ll try to report back after I add the GIK bass traps above my front wall windows and provide a before and after 15 to 500Hz FR response.

EDIT: It’s also important to note my system has 'stats that are very directional. Some don’t like this feature, but it can provide some of the very best imaging and less interaction with the room compared to box speakers. This does result in a rather small “sweet spot” for ideal listening, but it still sounds great throughout the large open living/dining/kitchen area.

Recent picture of my rig for reference:

2 Likes

It mostly wouldn’t, depending on the size of the room, as these frequencies are very long, and the biggest issue with them are standing waves/nulls in your room. Which are very difficult to alter, and is why it is best to start with something like the Harman mode calculator. It will tell you without playing a note what you’re working against with a given room and listening position.

2 Likes

On the sides, but more out the backs.

1 Like

REW also has a room simulation mode too. I find they only work with the framework of defined closed room aka rectangular enclosed room. If it is open space, the calculations are off.

Well, after adding the latest room acoustic treatments (see image below with 6" thick 1’ x 4’ GIK absorber diffusors above the front wall windows) I was quite shocked at how much of my earlier DSP work got tossed out the window. These seemingly minor room treatment additions affected the FR much more than I anticipated. Anyway, after starting over with parametric EQ and auto-EQ I’ve arrived at a really wonderful sound overall. And while listening the final “frosting on the cake” requires minor adjustment of subwoofer level as an example of personal taste. I’d describe the sound as having that magical balance of loads of detail without any fatigue and rich midrange and stout bass. You could listen for many hours and not get that tired feeling. It’s music after all and is supposed to be enjoyed not analyzed to death (hah!)

6 Likes

I too have put in room treatment (see pic - cannot see 4 GIK panels on the side walls too) and used DSP with Roon (not sure if that is how you applied eq). Convolution filter. I had someone do that for me using REW. But then I do what we do and changed things around. had to redo that. I ended up getting Focus Fidelity and its so easy to use that now. I can do it in 1/2 hour. I just use their curves. Not knowledgeable enough to play with that. I apply EQ 1khz and down. I can totally agree with your findings. I had some big peaks in the low mid range that bugged the crap out of me on some music. Now its a super balanced sound I can sit and listen with zero fatigue. spot on the sub comment too. I have friend who loves electronic music…loves his bass tracks. he cuts his High pass at like 60 and sends to sub. likes the bigger hits. I like them a bit softer.

3 Likes