Room Correction Results

OK folks.

Finally got around to re-running Anthem Room Correction (ARC) on my system after weeks of fiddling with kit and room changes. See graphs showing measured, target and calculated results below.

I am interested in what folks that know how to read such graphs care to observe and share regarding the results.

For example, how bad (and why) are the measured results: and what do they suggest about what I might do in terms of room treatments and speaker/subwoofer placement to achieve better, uncorrected results.

Any and all input welcome

TIA.

3 Likes

I have been using ARC for many years and those are the cleanest plots I have ever seen. Your starting point is really clean. I am envious. I think you can end any worries about the situation.

5 Likes

Really…?

What a pleasant surprise.

Thanks Al.

Cheers

2 Likes

Hoping for more feedback from room analyzers lurking here…

Anyone else…?

SEE

You ran ARC on your two channel? I’m ignorant but interested.

Did you use a nice mic, etc?

1 Like

I have to say, that’s a pretty darn good response as is. No “real” reason to worry more about it honestly.

I suppose if you wanted to play around with it, you could address those small peaks at 100Hz, 500Hz, 2kHz & 7.5kHz. However, doing so may end up causing other issues.

1 Like

Looking at the plots it looks like your listening space is fairly symmetrical.
Obviously these are not 1/3 octave measurements, maybe 1/6 octave?
It appears that you have 1 bass node peak around 100Hz.
You might be able to lessen that peak by either moving your listen position or adjusting speaker / sub placement. (you also might make it worse)
It takes a lot of absorption ( in the right location ) to tame a bass peak.

I do not have ARC experience, I have worked with DIRAC, Behringer, DSPeaker, HAF and currently utilize a Rives PARC.
Measurements are collected using an Omni Mic.

These are the methods that have worked best for me;
Getting good balance for all channels is where I start using 1/3 octave sweeps. ( I have 4 channels to level, L&R horns and L&R SUB225 )
The bottom end from 250 Hz down is measured with 1/6 octave sweeps.
Using the widest filters that I can generate with the PARC I lower the peaks in the bottom end.
The PARC is an analog parametric 3 band EQ, only for the bottom end and is only in the signal path to my SUB225 bass units.
I also try to make adjustments in the bottom end that keep bottom end decay even, so that might mean not totally eliminating a bass peak. ( time and decay rate per waterfall plots )

Whenever I adjust above 250 Hz I just muck up the sound quality.
DSP is a powerful product, its easy to go to far with it.

Have you generated any corrective filters with ARC and applied them?

Yes and yes…

Anthem Room Correction (ARC).

Old software on my long-in-the tooth Pre/Pro:

https://www.anthemav.com/support/latest-software.php

I ran five sweeps (5 different mic positions) for each “stereo mode” channel (L, R and subwoofer) and each “theater mode” channel (L, C, R, SL, SR and subwoofer). I only posted the results for “stereo” L&R.

I always generate what Anthem refers to as Music and Movie mode calibration settings every time I re-run the analysis and correction. You can choose either mode for all input sources on the AVM 50v (for up to 7.2 channels).

1 Like

Yep, almost square but with some interesting cut out areas in the rear and a hallway entrance just left of the left speaker position; as well as an asymmetrical ceiling which seems to benefit the system quite nicely (the room is a bonus room over the garage and the attic/roof configuration makes things “interesting” up above).

Not sure…would have to do some digging on the technical specifics…

Just the kind of feedback I was looking for; thank you.

My understanding is that ARC applies a pretty light touch at the higher frequencies. That’s why I think it is so effective and aurally pleasing. The lower bass, mid-bass and mid-range frequencies are really much more clear, punchy and natural when ARC is engaged.

Please clarify your question for me. ARC applies the correction settings it calculates based on the sweeps and the target FR. Is that what you are referring to? I can choose to have these corrections in or out of the signal path at a touch of a button.

Thanks again.

SEE

Thanks for the feedback.

SEE

The two lines are DSP corrected and uncorrected fromthe sweet spot? Is that with your subs engaged for two channel? Can you take a plot 3feet from each speaker? If so you can see what is happening with the room and better judge passive room treatments. I would be interested in how much low bass rolls off at 3 feet and whether you would bring subs out or get better corner bass coupling. Get flat response down at 20dB

The Bacch DSP binaural in ear mics show a better picture than the RTA analyzer and single mic with my system. The highs and crazy reflections are better captured than a RTA scan does. The differences ear to ear can swing wildly

1 Like

The measured and corrected results displayed are a composite of 5 different mic positions and the corresponding sweeps for each measured speaker/channel (L, R and 1 subwoofer in this instance). A total of 45 measurements in this instance… One of the five mic positions is at the sweet spot. This is done automatically by the software and I don’t get to see the individual results from each mic position for each speaker.

However, one of the mic positions was approximately 3 feet in front of the left loudspeaker and one was approximately 3 feet in front of the right loudspeaker.

That said, ARC offers an “advanced” mode that I have never used that may allow me to see individual speaker results. Not sure since I have never played with it. I may try it and see if I can get a more specific measurement of each speaker position.

1 Like

“Can you take a plot 3feet from each speaker? If so you can see what is happening with the room and better judge passive room treatments.”

Thanks for the suggestion.

SEE

1 Like

Hi scotte1,

just saw your question, I thought I reply, because I have a long history of dealing with room correction software. I was forced into this area because I have a nearly square and small listening room which unfortunately creates a huge bass resonance.

First of all, and to answer your question, I can assure you that your room acoustics is already in a pretty good state, especially if your room is nearly square.

In my room correction journey, I actually tried a couple of software solutions. First was ARC. Worked pretty well. But the sound quality was a bit “harsh”. Still, way better than w/o room correction active, but I wanted to try other software - just for comparison.

So I tried Sonarworks SoundID Reference. Taking the measurements is very time consuming, but the sound correction actually sounded “cleaner”, more relaxed. I used this for a couple of years. Downside here is that over the last years the software quality got worse, unstable (I am on an iMac).

Then I downloaded REW, a pretty complex “tekkie” app IMHO. But this software was by far the most informative one. It took me a while to learn it, but in the end, I created a convolution filter an imported it into roon (if you use it). This provided the best sound quality - by far.
Other suggestions:

• For acoustic room measurement, do not use one of the “cheap” Audio interfaces. It might create false measurements or more noise.
  • REW documentation and Youtube videos help a lot to understand REW (if you want to)

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

I use Roon but have yet to play with any of its DSP features. I’ll keep it in mind.

I really like what ARC can and does accomplish with my kit/room, though.

Cheers.

1 Like