Alternative case for DAC MKII

Hi Paul. After Upgrade to DSD more or less the whole DAC MKII seems to be obsolete. That’s a pity. Have you ever thought about a low cost case having only the display inside. If yes there would be a nice option to have a alternative DAC. I found such an offer by Linn and it’s a charming idea, isn’t it.

This is not the first time we’ve been asked this. We really need to figure something out. It’s not quite as simple as people would like to believe, but it is something worth discussing for sure.

A simple solution might be to shop for a PWD MKI and use the parts to upgrade to MKII.

There must still be a few out there?

Perhaps post a “looking to buy” on A’gon.

i have mine sold to a pwd mki guy . it did bother me not to use it and i could not through it out . this is a emotional hobby or am i just nuts ??

al

MK I models are selling used for about $1k.

I also sold my MKII guts… It made me feel good that it went to a good home :slight_smile:

audiobill said MK I models are selling used for about $1k.
Where, Audiogon or Audio Mart ?

I’ve seen ebay for that…check sold listings

I’m holding out for a PSAudio-provided kit. That being said, seeing direct evidence of the variations in the Mk II’s out there (by going through the upgrade process and watching others go through it via the upgrade forum topic), the variation will be somewhat difficult to “standardize” and make (yet another) kit available that people can be successful installing. But I will be hopeful and wait.

And I’m sure the darned analog board will not fit exactly right in the new case. 24_gif

P.S. Linn made the Klimax and Akurate “renew” cases so it would not be possible to pass a “Renew” off as an original factory item. I would think something similar should be considered.

eho3ct57 said

P.S. Linn made the Klimax and Akurate “renew” cases so it would not be possible to pass a “Renew” off as an original factory item. I would think something similar should be considered.

Good thinking. Given the high expense of the stock casing, few would want to buy the PWD case in any event.

Not so sure about that.

A stock case with screen can make an awesome 2nd room or house DAC for a DS kit owner.

I think it would be a wonderful way to get the PSA brand into the hands of up-n- coming A’philes who cannot yet afford a DS.

Can’t be more than a few hundred bucks. Great incentive for new kit buyers as well.

I do not doubt people would prefer the standard PWD/DS case, but I expect they will be stunned by the cost - particularly when this is paired with a new display, IR receiver and the various tidbits required to install the old guts into the case. This is not “a few hundred bucks.”

There also remains the issue of protecting the integrity of “original” units, if this is of concern.

As always, YMMV.

So we are considering something for this. Not sure we want to go to the trouble of making all new cases and packaging and kits. What about if we just bought the older boards back? Or do you all think the lower chassis with a display in it is the way to go? And what would the price have to be on a chassis, input AC wiring, display board built in? It’s not a trivial project.

Paul McGowan said So we are considering something for this. Not sure we want to go to the trouble of making all new cases and packaging and kits. What about if we just bought the older boards back? Or do you all think the lower chassis with a display in it is the way to go? And what would the price have to be on a chassis, input AC wiring, display board built in? It's not a trivial project.
I would be satisfied with getting $500 for my parts so a $500 case package would sell for $1000, market friendly probably. But the $500 may not work for you I'm thinking. What would you buy the boards back for ? would be a generous offer in any event I believe.
rogerdn said
Paul McGowan said So we are considering something for this. Not sure we want to go to the trouble of making all new cases and packaging and kits. What about if we just bought the older boards back? Or do you all think the lower chassis with a display in it is the way to go? And what would the price have to be on a chassis, input AC wiring, display board built in? It's not a trivial project.

I would be satisfied with getting $500 for my parts so a $500 case package would sell for $1000, market friendly probably. But the $500 may not work for you I’m thinking. What would you buy the boards back for ? would be a generous offer in any event I believe.

Well, that’s what we were thinking. We could buy back the board sets for $500.

I doubt we could design, build and produce an entirely new chassis, even a cheap one, with a new display board, AC inlets and packaging for less than $1,000.

$1,000 is less than I expected, not bad given the work and costs.

The PWD/DS casework has got to be frighteningly expensive. It is a sophisticated package.

I would probably buy a case at $1,000 and would be delighted to get a functioning PWD Mk II for my second system, regardless of what the case looked like… I’m also surprised the price might be that low, although if it was much more it probably wouldn’t make much sense. I’d also sell the boards back and $500 would be extremely generous. Can’t imagine what PSA would do with them. A new case would be my first choice and I would use it in a system for which I would not otherwise buy a new DAC. Others might well sell the reconstructed DAC, which could flood the market. Would there be any way to prevent owners of the new chassis from converting them into DirectStream’s?

A $500 board buyback program would certainly accelerate my DS decision, and I suspect many others too…

The buyback program would be difficult because of dealers and distributors, so that’s always problematic. And then there’s the guys who have already purchased DS kits, and lastly, what are we going to do with them?

Someone in our management meeting yesterday suggested maybe one of our CMs might be interested in making a kit to create a chassis and have the boards work as a new PWD.

Here’s the thing. The PWDs are so good, so valuable, that I believe it was a mistake for us not to figure something out for the boards after the upgrade. We should have figured something out. But then that’s hindsight.

I appreciate the advice given here but still unsure what to do.

MMMM

How about another KickStart?

A buy back offer of $300 for the MKII parts

A fund of $300 for a PSA case.

The "special series MKIIs could then be donated as reference equipment to qualified music schools or youth audio assns to help raise the awareness of quality playback potential.

Tax donation receipts could be issued for any donation over $100. $50?

Just a concept, details may need some tweaking.

Ideas anyone?