Amp Comparison: Pass Int-250 or BHK 300 and BHK pre

I’m interested in Pass Amps.
Have BHK 300’s now with a BHK pre

Saving some space and downsizing attractive to me. Have been thinking of the Pass Labs INT-250

Anyone out there have any thoughts on this move?
Would I be sacrificing sound quality?

Thanks for any input

I have strong doubts you will be sacrificing any audio quality. I believe you will experience a much different sound. Class A sound. It is very easy to get used to and it never disappoints. You may find you prefer it. Your soundstage will include depth you might find curious. Some like it, some don’t. It is the most likely change you will hear. The BHK system sounds Front Row some say. It’s not hard to like. But different is different. It comes down to personal preference. If you are in a place where you can hold on to the BHK gear and try the new gear you might consider doing just that.

10 Likes

Thanks
Well put
Appreciate it

1 Like

Al summed it up nicely, and hit the key points. I don’t recall which speakers you have but the Pass INT-60 is the sweet spot in their integrated line IME. To my ear the Pass Labs will draw you into the performance more than the PSA, which is my personal bias. Again it comes down to your listening preferences and system synergy. Another consideration would be a lightly used Gryphon Diablo 300.

4 Likes

Appreciate you responding

I have Vandersteen Treo CT speakers

1 Like

I have spent a good deal of time with both the Int-250 and the Int-60 in my system, with relatively low efficiency speakers and I agree with @weedeewop.
The Int-60 gives a wonderful combination of high bias Class A midrange along with the speed and detail of the Int-250. I could live happily with either but the 60 is easily my choice.

6 Likes

It’s heartening to see no one is telling me that going to an integrated from separates is a bad idea.

3 Likes

I had both at home in my system. The only reason I didn’t keep the Int-60 is because I got an irresistible deal on an XP-32 line stage.

3 Likes

In fact I just recommended to my son that he go with an integrated–the Int-60.

4 Likes

Thanks for answering. Its early…dumb question on my part …since you clearly stated that you had heard both.
The 250 watts/ channel is attractive to me in the INT 250 but since you are recommending the INT-60 has me liking the cost difference. You dont see any issues with the INT-60 driving my Vandersteen Treo CT’s?
Thank you

2 Likes

A personal favorite, yet to date I still do not own a pair. I have heard them with both a Sim Audio 700i, a friend’s system, and the Pass Int-60. Either are an excellent pairing. You won’t be disappointed with either. The Pass Labs Int-60 runs class A up to 30 watts into an 8 ohm load. I prefer the Class A sound of Pass Labs to the Sim Audio 700i.

1 Like

Not a chance. Unless your room is gigantic and you play at 100db or more----which you really shouldn’t.

2 Likes

Thanks to you both
I wouldn’t have considered the INT-60 over the INT-250 but the cost difference for equivalent sound is pretty attractive

2 Likes

See if you can arrange an in home demo of the INT-60 to compare to the PSA. I think you’ll be happily surprised with the Pass Labs.

Having a Pass Labs XA-25 I was more than a little taken back when placing it in my high efficiency system. It out performed my SET tube amps by a considerable margin. The SETs were no slouches either, the over achieving Decware ZEN UFO84SE25 and the entry level ZEN UFO84SE with level 2 anniversary mod.

2 Likes

I was struck by the fact that you have Vandersteen Treo Ct’s. I have the same speakers with the BHK pre and the BHK 250. I thought I might need to change my speakers but I went for a trial of the Iconoclast speaker cables and power cables and it was like a component upgrade. I’m keeping my Vandersteen’s and my BHK amps. They offer a free 30 day trial.

I’ve been listening all day today to my XA25 with my Wilsons. Even compared to my regular 500 Wpc X250.8, the XA25 is amazing. A very sweet sounding little brute. It comes dangerously close to “realistic” reproduction of everything in these grooves.

5 Likes

Very çool
I use Iconoclast wire as well

1 Like

Small spades to the Vandy’s?

A bit of frustration as I am here and my XA-25 is there. Hopefully I’ll be there next week. Oh wait a minute, then I will be here! :rofl:

2 Likes

Yes
It was a challenge but Iconoclast got it done