Anyone using power conditioning upstream of Powerplant?

?... My first line of "power conditioning" & defense is a Richard Gray 6KW (220 to 120V) Isolation Transformer to mechanically disconnect my system from the rest of the electrical world and all of its electrical pollution....

Why are you dropping the voltage?

I realize that this is an old thread, but I am busy getting my feet wet here at this site. “Things should be simple as possible, but not simpler.” Or at least I think that is what Albert E. said. Given that, I followed each section of my incoming power, starting at the the transformer at the pole, and di what I could to deal with each. Talk about giving the PS300 less to deal with! First, I made the city change out all for secondary feeding the 4 houses on my block. They were from the 30’s and ran through trees. The transformer was new so that was allright. Secondly, I had the fuse panel and mast changed out to modern standards, and made sure that the feed was copper, even though the secondary from the pole was aluminum(you can only do so much). I then grounded the panel to the well casing for my well, better than ANY ground rod that I know of. Then, I ran a dedicated line to the system, and bingo, no more excuses. As an aside, this was all done as much for the fact that I do woodworking and welding in my shop. You got to start with the basics if you can. I was lucky. As far as putting anything else in line with the PS300, why would you second guess it’s design?

Great setup.

I also have my panel grounded to my well. I am comfortable this is as good as a ground can get.

Elk,

Old habits die hard. I used to work for Bell System(remember them?) and for a few years, we dealt with radio sites. I don’t have to tell you that there probably nothing better grounded than a radio site! Anyway, it seemed good practice to me, and I try to use what I learned there to make right, things that we have to work with as far as AC is concerned.

I remember Ma. :slight_smile:

I can only imagine how well a radio tower is grounded.

Getting to the groundwater is the name of the game. A dry ground is a bad ground. Sounds like you guys have it made. B-)

It was like preparing for Armageddon man. Ground RINGS were run around the entire building inside. And as always in a telephone building, you had big nasty ground busses, divided into two sections. One for switching equipment only and the rest for practically everything else. You had double redundant power(power generator, and then BIG BIG batteries). Power distribution systems that would blow your mind, with destination tags at EACH end. There’s more but I will have to double up my meds if I relive it all.

There is one thing that I would like to add relevant to the OP. Bell System didn’t use conditioning as such to deal with noise anyway. You see, it all was ‘filtered’ by those giant batteries in the basement. Nothing got past them. The reason that this should sound familiar is that the PS Audio regenerators partially rely on the same thinking. Since we primarily used negative DC voltage, many other things were different.

Oh the days of the Bell System. I worked for C&P Telephone and TL-1 TM2 analog radio. Those were the days fighting the winter snow storms to get into the remote towers across the West Virginia Mountains.

If your still wanting to try the sound conditioner tboooe, I have a couple of Hi-End Monster conditioners I’ll sell you

Yup, things were very different then, and we couldn’t imagine them changing as they did. Tip and ring forever.

Hey, on this forum it’s strictly tip, ring, sleeve. ;))

What about mono lovers?

Ha! You got me, but in outside plant, where I mostly worked, it was just tip and ring.

We, gentlemen, are the last of a great technology. I only got to work for Bell for about 5 years before the break up. After that, it eventually became a new company…and then another…one that I wasn’t so proud to admit working for. In spite of it all, I maintained the same curiosity about the magic of basic electricity.

Electricity is both magic, and very weird stuff.

So all this talk about power . And where is the discussion about getting the power from the panel to our power conditioning systems ?

I would like to here some of those ideas in this too. If this is ok anyway ?

When the power to the home has been satisfied by way of current code lines, transformers, and grounding, it is certainly time to visit installing the proper dedicated line to the power conditioner. I think that routing sometimes is an issue, as well as proper conductor size type of power cable. Personally, I switched the breakers around so that the dedicated line was the nearest to the main breaker, a practice that I learned in the phone company to help ensure the quietest line. Also, it might be advisable to use a breaker that includes a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter). Might as well have that protection as near to the source of trouble as possible.

Some other practices some hi end audio installers do is use oversized conductors for circuits. Such as 10 gauge minum for 20 amp line . Or even 8 gauge, use three conductor cable . As the third wire is the ground.

Make all the grounds common to one location in the panel or one ground for all circuits back to panel .

Paul’s outlets are a very high specification grade outlet . Like hospital grade . But what I do not see here is ISO ground outlets. In this way there is only one ground path. Amps should be on there own circuit as they change in power consumption quickly and heavy . All circuits should be on same phase in panel. Most panels have two feeders located at the top. Use name brand new breakers, and last there is a conductive paste . Use this on all connections , even where the breaker fits on the buss in the panel.

Al d

This question is for Paul or someone who knows the answer. With a p10 is the ground common to both input and output. Also is the ground and hot and neutral disconnected when that section is turned off .

Al d

@admin

Well said Paul .