Apparent not so happy news for tube lovers

Yes - been there and experienced that. Non-shocking supply and demand issues, given the unprecedented circs, which will take a while to stabilize.

See: The EH dude creating Tube Panic.

“the supply chain is breaking down” was the Chicken Little verbiage I was joking about.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I’ve a handful of those. . . using one right now in my CSP3 with the Anniversary mods. . . those can be really interesting rectifiers.

Interesting in what way? Brent said they can lead to a more forward and open sound. Need an adaptor as well. Figured they were worth a shot. Steve Deckert highly recommended them, so I figured it should be worth a shot.

in my systems they impart an expansive soundstage and I wouldn’t say “forward” so much as “enveloping”–they bring impressions of behind and to the side as much as forward. A wide open midrange and great spatial cues. (I’m using 6SN7 tubes with adaptors for all my inputs, but I’ve used Type 80 with the 6N1P, 6922, etc. inputs as well.)

I use the 80 in both the CSP type preamps in my systems and I use Sophia Electric “Aqua” 274B in my amps–these give me a lot of the characteristics of the 80 with a warmer structure, and the combination of the two types of rectification is like Goldilock’s soup for me.

2 Likes

Given what a rectifier does, or what little I know about that, I was surprised the effect a rectifier can have.

2 Likes

Ron, in these amps with so few components and even a minimum of wiring EVERY part is standing naked and being all it can be. I’ve found over two decades of using these components that everything matters, which can be maddening as changing a regulation or rectification or power or input tube does so much. . . as does isolation components, power components, cabling. . . it’s a journey!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience Brent had said more incisive and foward in comparison to 1940s RCA 5U4s. I had my eye out for the Sophia 274B but could not locate any. What was your source. I like the idea of 6SN7 as well, my current driver is going phasey, most noticeable on piano. I have a stash of 6922 variations that I may try, Tungsram, Ediswan, Matsushita, etc. Could you recommend a source for the 6SN7 and adaptors?

That is precisely what I hear, strengths and weaknesses are on display. Speakers due this way soon. New rack on order. P15 incoming.

I bought my Sophia Electric Aquas directly from Sophia Electric themselves, or from them via ebay.

Be sure to get the Aqua, which is the proper one for these components and won’t stress the resistor as the other 274B will. (The Aqua is a 4 pin tube as well, but does not need an adaptor, the guide pin leads you to the right configuration and is fully electrically operational without an adaptor).

As for the 6SN7 and adaptors I used eBay. I experimented with a handful of different types and decided easily on a favorite: RCA gray glass.

1 Like

You’re taking this serious! :wink: You’ll have a lot of dialing in experience. . . and then the Anniversary amp will come and really raise the hair on your arms!

Thank-you, :blush:

Yes indeed, the speakers are ultra tweaky. Could get crazy.

1 Like

Yes. Just as in many things, the taller the better. (Odd that these matched are not the same height).

1 Like

Being 6’5"+ I can relate to that.
Not buying those, just a reasonable image courtesy eBay.

I just ordered one. Do you know where they’re made?

1 Like

No I don’t. I suspect China from a totally unique US design.

I had just seen that image on eBay :wink:

Hey Lon, I just wanted to circle back to you on this Sophia rectifier. I just plugged it in, it has no more than 30 minutes run time and it’s fabulous. Not as warm as my RCA but much more detail, which has a real influence on imaging. Very nice tip, Lon. Keep them coming!
btw–I also dig the crazy blue hue and gigantic size!

2 Likes