Audio Artifacts

maniac said: the AM tuning noise you describe is affecting most (or all) PWD users with PWD firmware 2.0.2 / 2.0.3

I never had this noise and I'm using 2.0.2. I think it's yet another batch specific problem (like the one with wrongly mounted touch screen).

@alekz with bridge it’s fine here too. But with Toslink/Coax/USB I have it…

Ah, I see now. I thought that the noise could be heard on all inputs.

All inputs but not ethernet to the bridge were being used I think.

Am I out to lunch or isn’t native X really only taken advantage of when using the bridge because of the two buffers - one on the bridge, and one on the input board.

My Dac is in for service until next week but your post is very interesting. I could not discern an audible difference between Native and NativeX - hard as I tried. If what you say is true regarding NativeX then most of my noise issues would be solved by just using Native.

Victor

vjbelle

if you hear NO difference between native and nativex then something is not working properly.

The difference is quite dramatic.

Gordon said: if you hear NO difference between
... xxx and yyy ...
Gordon said: then something is not working properly.

Yeah, this is what I usually say.... :D

"if you hear NO difference between native and nativex then something is not working properly.

The difference is quite dramatic."

I have found the difference to be much more subtle. It isn’t that it’s not there but I have always been in the camp that if you gotta train yourself to hear the difference then the difference is either not there or very subtle. Either way I would like to get my unit back and experience no noise between sample rate changes or have PS come up with a firmware fix.

I believe difference between native and native-x is highly dependent on clock quality of source component.

If you have high end source it may happen native-x will not improve SQ much.

This is my understanding, but I do not have any highend source other than bridge, so no practical experience here, just theory :slight_smile: