TICKS AND POPS FIX PROJECT

Ok, well, thanks for settling the bear question. Although, someone took the picture … oh, that’s a tree story. Yeah, ok, this is helpful and I will sit with the engineers on Monday.

@vhiner1 Thanks, we will go through the forums again, try and see if there’s anything consistent we can duplicate about the pops.

A clear questionnaire would help.

1/ PWD serial nbr and unit number.

2/ bridge Or no bridge

3/ bridge firmware version

4/ PWD firmware version

5/ connection-Ethernet. USB. Or other

6/ pre amp or no pre amp. And balanced or single ended connection

7/ hearing. Tuning noises. Pops. Static. White noise

8/ have you had these on other versions? If so on which ones?

9/ problems while playing ANY resolution?

10/ noises while switching to higher or lower resolutions?

11/ were you drinking at the time?

12/ list anything else you feel is helpful.

If they all come in this format it will help to spot common situations.

I will move this to a new folder so please keep it just for the above.

If you think of another question pls send to me by pm.

Thanks and gobble gobble.

This discussion was created from comments split from: PWD 2.4.3 Released..

Is there any benefit in identifying units which do no exhibit pops?

There is

Then the answer to #7 would be NO.

Shall we post here or email our responses to Paul or Dennis?

Post responses to me please. Gathering as much evidence as I can and will sit down with the engineering team bright and early Monday. From what I can tell there seems to be something at issue with the relay muting circuit, but it doesn’t see to be for all units. Mine certainly doesn’t have that problem (of course!).

I want this identified and fixed next week. Any help you guys can offer is greatly appreciated.

We will get to the bottom of it and fix it.

PWD-E1-1H039830

Mark II PWD Upgrade: PM2-BO-1L0025

No bridge

2.4.3 (and all other firmwares)

Inputs: S/PDIF, USB, TosLink, AES/EBU

Preamp and direct, both balanced and single-ended

No untoward noises with any resolution, resolution change, upsampling, etc.

I remain uncertain whether the filter settings and phase work with 2.4.3.

(I posted this here and sent it directly to Paul. Perhaps someone reading the thread will see a commonality or have another idea sparked by seeing the responses.)

1 /PWD-B1-9G003053 w/ MKII board installed

2 /bridge

3/ 0.2.14b

4/ 2.4.3

5/ Ethernet and USB

6/ pre amp balanced

7/ No unusual noises yet.

8/ No.

9/ None observed.

10/ Only brief clicking from the unit itself.

11/ Laphroaig

12/ Although the bridge is installed, I have not used it for over two years. Like Elk, I cannot be certain the filter or phase settings work.

Bridge Version:0.2.14b

DAC Version Mark II:2.4.3

DAC Unit ID:003053

CPLD:1.09

USB:1.03

Flash:AT49BV320

LCD:Epson

Network Configuration

Friendly Name:Bridge

Ethernet :Disabled

MAC Address:00:1F:F6:01:00:E8

Wireless:Enabled

@peanut-butter - #11 = good stuff

Indeed, but a bit much for me neat.

I experience loud pops when

I switch to a higher resolution. There are no other SQ anomalies that I can hear.

Unit: PWD-C1-0J027909

Mark II PWD Upgrade

PM2-B0-1L0067

FW: 2.0.2

Shunyata XLR and Mora James RCA digital cables to PWT

No bridge.

CT5 preamp

Ocassionally there are no pops when switching down from a higher resolution…always occurs when switching up.

Sometimes when I switch to a higher resolution there are as many as two relay clicks and a pop. Other than this, the unit works well (phase shifting, volume etc. I also cannot get an sd card besides the one sent with my broad upgrade to work properly during an update. If a fix is found, I would like an SD card with the latest stabile firmware sent to me; I have followed all the instructions for downloading to the letter. A free, pre- loaded sd card for those with malfunctioning firmware seems to be reasonable expectation since we know so few are having difficulty with 2. 4. 3. Thanks!

USED ONLY BRIDGE - ETHERNET PORT

Bridge Version:0.2.14f

DAC Version Mark II:2.4.3 (NO POPS AT ALL WITH 2.2.0)

DAC Unit ID:059746

Flash:SST39VB3201

LCD:Solomon

Network Configuration

Friendly Name:PerfectWave MKII

Ethernet :Enabled

static IP Address:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

SubNet Mask:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

GateWay:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

DNS 1:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

DNS 2:XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

MAC Address:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

Wireless:Disabled

DAC ATTACHED ONLY TO ACTIVE STUDIO MONITOR

NO PREAMP

POPS ONLY ON NATIVE & NATIVE X WHEN SWITCHING ON HD TRACKS (24-96khz)

ALL OTHER SRC MODES WORKS SMOOTHLY BOTH ON HD - SD TRACKS

1/ PWD serial nbr and unit number = D0-2A045108

2/ bridge Or no bridge = bridge installed and usable

3/ bridge firmware version = 0.2.13c

4/ PWD firmware version = 2.4.3

5/ connection-Ethernet. USB. Or other = Ethernet to bridge, HDMI to PWD from W4S server.

6/ pre amp or no pre amp. And balanced or single ended connection = no preamp, balanced to ARC ref 150

7/ hearing. Tuning noises. Pops. Static. White noise = tweeter click/pop when changing up or down in resolution of file played via bridge. Same noise when playing from W4S server, but occurs when changing any track, irregardless of resolution. Click/pop is usually only one channel, left or right, via bridge, but usually both channels with W4S server.

8/ have you had these on other versions? If so on which ones? = 2.4.1 and 2.4.0. Never with 2.2.0, or 2.0.2

9/ problems while playing ANY resolution? = no.

10/ noises while switching to higher or lower resolutions? = as above

11/ were you drinking at the time? = Talisker :wink:

12/ list anything else you feel is helpful. = I get the same problem (relays freeze) with changing filters with eLyric controller, but it resolves if I use the handheld remote to change the filter.

1/ PWD serial nbr and unit number.

PWD-C1-1I041091

2/ bridge Or no bridge

Yes!

3/ bridge firmware version

2.14b

4/ PWD firmware version

5/ connection-Ethernet. USB. Or other

Ethernet & USB

6/ pre amp or no pre amp. And balanced or single ended connection

balanced, & unbalanced, no preamp

7/ hearing. Tuning noises. Pops. Static. White noise

pops

8/ have you had these on other versions? If so on which ones?

only on 2.4.3

9/ problems while playing ANY resolution?

not anymore

10/ noises while switching to higher or lower resolutions?

no

11/ were you drinking at the time?

no, nothing to speak of…

12/ list anything else you feel is helpful. - See more at: http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/discussion/6080/ticks-and-pops-fix-project#sthash.5Ne6ih7y.dpuf

When I switch modes from usb to Ethernet

AND the s/w player (JRiver - Mac) is sending a stream to the bridge,

at the very end of the mode switch, more often than not the PWD will hang (freeze),

BUT if I switch modes, then start the s/w player, the mode switch completes successfully.

JJ

PWD-C1-OL029352 - MKI unit that has been upgraded to MKII

Bridge Version:0.2.14b Installed but not being used at this time. Ethernet is connected, USB is not.

DAC Version Mark II:2.4.3 Was using 2.2.0 without any pop or white noise issues.

DAC Unit ID:029352

Flash:AT49BV320

LCD:Epson

PWD XLR outputs direct to mono amps.

3 Inputs used - Optical(SONOS), Coax(CD) and IS2-1(NPC).

White noise heard at both speakers when all 3 inputs are set to the same SR of 44, 48, 88 or 96 and I switch from one of these three inputs to any of the other two inputs. If the SR is set differently between two of these inputs then switching between those two inputs does not generate any white noise. Switching to the Bridge input or to an unused input does not generate any white noise.

Once or twice a Pop was heard when Mute was enabled and then the Off button hit on the remote. Other times hitting Off just causes relay click-click and audio sound mutes, but if white noise was occurring prior to pressing Off then white noise continues while PWD appears to be in off/standby mode.

Relay clicks normally when changing Input and SR. Will occasionally hear a Pop/tick when changing SR or Input but it is not reproducible all the time.

No relay clicks heard when enabling/disabling Mute though sound is muted/unmuted.

No relay clicks heard when changing the Filter though it sounds to me that the filter change is being applied.

If Mute is enabled and then I press the Phase or Filter buttons on the remote or front panel the audio sound is restored at the speakers but the Mute indicator still shows on/red.

If Mute is enabled and then I press the L/R Balance buttons on the remote the audio sound remains muted but the Mute indicator changes to off/green. While in this state pressing the volume up/down buttons cause the volume numbers/indicator to change but no audio sound is heard. Pressing Mute again changes the mute indicator to on/red with sound still muted. Pressing Mute again changes the mute indicator to off/green and audio sound is heard again.

Old LOADER.CFG (no known issues)

ID = PWDA0017

[PGM] Name = PWD20200.HEX

[FLA] Offset = 0 Name = PWDUI200.HEX

[FLA] Offset = 26 Name = PWDUL103.HEX

[FLA] Offset = 28 Name = PWDPL105.HEX

New LOADER.CFG (white noise and occasional pops)

ID = PWDA0024

[PGM] Name = PWD20403.HEX

[FLA] Offset = 0 Name = PWDUI200.HEX

[FLA] Offset = 26 Name = PWDUL103.HEX

[FLA] Offset = 28 Name = PWDPL109.HEX

I have swapped between the 2.2.0 and 2.4.3 firmware a few times and observe the same results each time after installing 2.4.3.

For me the pop/tick issue is hard to reproduce but it does occur. The white noise and muting issues can be reproduced and cleared at will.

Hope this helps. Happy bug hunting!

Thank you Paul, I really hope this can be solved. I experience a loud static pop on my unit when switching resolution while playing music or using the elyric app on ios.

1/ PWD-C1-0C019576

2/ bridge

3/ 2.13c and 2.14b (switch between this versions). Pop independent.

4/ 2.4.3

5/ connection-Ethernet.

6/ no pre amp. And balanced connection

7/ Static Pops

8/ with 2.4.1 and 2.4.3. Never with 2.2.0 or lower version

9/ no problems playing any resolution. only one loud pop when SWITCHING resolutions

10/ noises with 2.4.1. No noises anymore with 2.4.3

11/ only softdrinks. but I get a nerve now. This could change :wink:

12/ I get a static pop, very loud, between tracks when the next track is in a different resolution. Never when the next track is in the same resolution.

I also get a very loud static pop when switching filter or resolution with the ios elyric app.

The pop is always only at one speaker. mostly left, but sometimes right.

The pop is volume independent. I usualy listen music between 15 an 60 volume setting.

but the most used volume for serious listening is 30-40.

Freek

1/ PWD-D0-1L044536

2/ bridge

3/ 0.2.13c

4/ 2.4.3

5/ Ethernet

6/ no pre amp single ended connection

7/ Loud pops

8/ 220 (albeit not as loud or frequent as in 243)

9/ None

10/ Loud pops when switching resolution

11/ Can’t remeber

12/ No relay click when chaning filters / phase