Audiophiles guide: The stereo

I’m told by, well just about everyone around here, that Merseyside is the best in the world for football.
I have two left feet of course, and always found the football pitch to be too cold and muddy for my taste.
My excuse is that when I was born (2 miles up the road from here) it was in Cheshire (pre Local Government Act 1972), not Merseyside (and some of the locals still insist on putting Cheshire in their addresses rather than be associated with Liverpool).
I blame Thatcher (but then, I usually do) even though she was Education Secretary then :wink:
Good on Crosby!

Meanwhile in the latest bathroom update - our apprentice plumber managed to encourage water to magically appear from the kitchen light fitting today, it’s all go here…

When I think of Liverpool I think of its most famous son, Gladstone, the liberal son of a slave trader and one of a long line of Scottish scousers, down to Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness and Alan Hansen. I grew up thinking everyone in Liverpool was like Yosser Hughes. Our best friends when they came to the UK in the 1980s first lived in Liverpool. His wife, who is Belgian, learned English from the likes of Dalglish and Hansen and speaks a bizarre Franco-Scouse-Celtic dialect to this day. Her party trick is full Scouse with a French twist.

My Dalglish memory was at a golf hotel on the day of the Charity Shield. My wife needed the toilet, so I suggested she find someone in a suit and ask them. So she went up to Kenny Dalglish and asked him if he knew where the Ladies was. She’s a foreigner, what does she know? Apparently he didn’t. Meanwhile my friend and I were wetting ourselves from a distance. About half an hour later we were on the first tee and KD wanders over, so my friend asks him if he’d like to join us for a round. Kenny replies he’d rather play golf than go to Wembley, but they might notice he was missing. Class.

Besides Crosby v Spurs, the famous match I remember was on my 21st birthday in a restaurant, when Liverpool beat Roma in the European Cup final on penalties thanks to Grobelaar’s wobbly knees, it was an Italian place as a result of which dinner was on the house.

Hawarden (where we used to live in North Wales) has a strong Gladstone connection too, including a library. I don’t think he had the 80s scouser perm though :slight_smile:

I, too, assumed all scousers were either like Yosser, or Harry Enfield’s “The Scousers”.
The latter, mostly, there were an awful lot of perms and “shell suits” wandering the streets back then, and even into the 90s…

I’m a bit confused here…thought I was buying a paper book since the price was $39.99 and I see that the amount is drawn from my mastercard. Is this really just for the digital book to read on ipad or PC? If so I’m dissapointed, I was hopiing for a book to read while sitting in my sofa and listening to my stereo :thinking:

Try to cancel at Amazon, they changed the price yesterday.
Seems like the launch was a bit premature, the audiophiles is ready by the end of the month (according to PS Audio email)

1 Like

I have now cancelled the digital kindle order on Amazon, so hopefully I will get a refund :smiley:

Hawarden is of course famous for being the last bastion of Welsh Nationalism. Edward I was a particularly cruel individual who dealt mercilessly with the Jews, the Welsh and the Scots, without an ounce of compassion or regret. A bit of a White Nationalist. This is starting to sound familiar. The ringleader got the Mel Gibson treatment, the first person in British history to be tried for treason and the unfortunate initiate to being hung, drawn and quartered. Mel Gibson got done a while after.

All of which has some unfortunate parallels at the moment.

That aside, Ian Rush was from around there and I thought he as the best of the lot. He could have had an acting career as Postman Pat’s body double.

Right. Sorry guys. I didn’t announce it because we were in flux (and still are). Trying to sort through Amazon’s maze is nothing short of hair pulling.

The problem is that my videos say go to Amazon and find it so people do - which is awesome except not great for timing (since I do the videos a few weeks in advance).

Thanks for hanging in there. I’ll try and make an official announcement. The SACD you need should be available near the end of this month. It’s being pressed in Austria right now, then it has to ship, etc.

5 Likes

Can you confirm that the SACD has a CD layer as well?

I’ve realised this is rather academic as I no longer have a CD player (or PC/Mac with such a facility) and never had SACD. As @joma0711 said yesterday, the CD used to be in a slip at the back of the book as part of the price. It really should be available as a download. This is the 21st century, after all. I don’t suppose the SACD/CD(?) will be free to purchasers of the book? I was about to download it today but saw an image of the typeface and it is unreadable.

2 Likes

i’m reading the news in the same way as i used to watch doctor who when i was 5 - from behind the sofa, metaphorically speaking.
i think more than one footballer either comes from, or has moved to Hawarden, there’s a helicopter goes over our house twice a day, lunchtime and midnight ish, on a direct line between liverpool city (not speke airport) and hawarden airport, i have always assumed this is ferrying footballers, though i might be wrong.
freaks the dog out every time - you’d think she’d be used to it by now!

I must admit, watching the news the other day I thought I was watching those episodes of Dr Who with Christopher Eccleston, Billie Piper and the Cybermen programmed by some mad despotic leader to take over the world (or at least the Docklands). They were better dressed than the mob in Washington, and more than scary.

1 Like

Christopher Eccleston really did do a good job as Doctor Who as well :slight_smile:
…and Billie Piper didn’t sing, which is a bonus (I’m told she’s done some excellent acting since then).
Reading the news (and, worse, the public comments) is bad for me, I think I need to take a break for a few days, I’ve not been out since last March* so it makes sense to cut myself off some more…

• a few dog walks in the small hours excepted.

Yes, Steven, absolutely. The SACD slips right into any CD player (or DVD player) and works great.

1 Like

Thank you for the update Paul.

Hi Paul,

Like many audiophiles I don’t own a CD player since I stream everything. Do you plan to offer the audio version of the CD as a download?

I’m in the same boat. :frowning_face:

A true audiophile would appreciate a vinyl version.

2 Likes

Has anyone found the set up disc yet. I hear lots of references and that it is available at PSA. I can not find it either. I did not find an answer using search.
Thanks

It’s not available yet. We hope for it to be available in a few weeks.

Yes, sorry, they are still in production. Scheduled delivery date is January 26.

Amazon now has the book in paperback if anyone’s interested: https://www.amazon.com/Audiophiles-Guide-Stereo-Paul-McGowan/dp/B08STSRW49/

1 Like