Audioquest Dragon Thread

That makes three of us! I’d love to order one. . . but not possible in the foreseeable future. That said, I’m really enjoying the sound I have right now.

4 Likes

And enjoying the sound that you have is really the only thing that matters.

5 Likes

I believe you have Serene on the way, as do I. That put me over my budget for the year!

1 Like

As I read this thread, and consider the capabilities of the PS Audio regenerators categorically, and Ron’s comments regarding the Pass Labs amplifiers plugged directly into the wall bypassing his P20 it has occurred to me that high priced power cords indeed do have their place. Where they fit in the overall system hierarchy may be a different matter. I understand AC power conditioning benefits are system specific, a certain synergy so to say. That said its seems to me placing appropriate focus on the amplifier pairing with the speakers, then moving up the amplifier line for a more robust power supply makes sense. Then trying out a power regenerator and moving up the line for maximum benefit, followed by mating power cords to finish things up and tweak the sound makes sense to me. In a nut shell what I am getting at is a high priced power cord has its place if other system aspects are addressed accordingly. Rhetorically speaking do I pay extra for an upgrade from a P15 to a P20, and then go with a high priced power cord or do I go with a lower priced power cord and a TOTL power cord? I wonder. :thinking:

I agree with your approach. I’m only a couple of years into being an audio nut. I started with speakers, then amps (M700s), and then a regenerator (SP3). And most of the past year has been focused on sources. I will probably jump up to a P12 next year, and then start trying power cables.

1 Like

Got it and LOVE it !!!

Beat my passive pre (Acoustic Imagery - “Jay-Sho” ) which beat my BHK Pre which beat everything prior.

So I thought nothing could touch my passive Jay-Sho pre.

I was wrong :slight_smile:

Tom

1 Like

Wow! That’s impressive and good to hear. Seems like I will be making a massive jump from the SGCD to the Serene!

That’s a quandary. I moved up from the P15 to the P20 a few years back and thought it was a modest improvement. I’ve listened to a bunch of power cords with the P20 and found the differences fairly dramatic. You can tell each one has its own sonic signature and the improvements as you go up the line in a company’s series. In fact, some guys like SR have cords that are designed for regenerators in mind. I had a SR Sigma V1 and found the SR Alpha V2, without noise reduction, to sound more open. I thank Ron for this eye-opener. I’m not trying to confuse you, but loaning out a few might be the ticket.

2 Likes

I firmly believe that a power cable is important regardless of where it’s getting it’s input from; regenerator or wall.

3 Likes

I’m not discounting the power cord just questioning where it fits in the scheme of things. Having a P20 and going all out on a power cord is one thing. Having a P15 or P12 I wonder if the money is best spent on upgrading the regenerator first. Same with amplification, maximize the amplification within one’s means and then go for the power cord(s) that delivers. I’ve over simplified it a bit, but you should get the general idea.

I still have a Vodka on my home theater sources and I2S on my oppo. Right now the way my rack is set up I would need a 1.5m or 2m Dragon 48 so the Vodka will work for now! I’m not convinced that my modified Oppo 203 sounds better that my Auralic G2 so there lies another reason. If I had a PST I’d be doing some rack rearranging!

1 Like

You’d probably spend about $42k USD for 7 2m Dragons. That’s a lot of cable cash!

It might be a good time to try a Dragon HC vs Stealth shootout!

Send me the Dragon and I’ll check it out.

1 Like

I’m working on it!

1 Like

I can reciprocate.

1 Like

I’m trying to get us both one to try out wthout having to purchase and send back within 60 days to get our money back! Probably not going to happen tho!

Everybody knows cables are a bad joke. They can’t make a difference to ones and zeros. I mean come on man!

3 Likes

It takes three weeks just to get it sounding decent and get soundstage past edge of the speakers. My Drago HC is just hitting its stride ond soundstage and defined bass.

1 Like

Sounds like Amir Angen speaking there , lol

3 Likes