Audioquest Firebird and Dragon Comparison and Thoughts

No secret just ask.

Let us just put it out there to assist the curious and take the mystery out of it.

Call TMR, The Music Room, ask for Nick (ph: 720-441-6172). Tell him you heard it here on the PSA forum. He should be able to work with you on a reduction on the order of 30-35% for the AudioQuest Line. No hard sales technique. My understanding is TMR markets items that PS Audio takes in on trade. That too is no secret just good business for all concerned, the consumer, TMR, Nick, and PSA.

10 Likes

Do you now have to the kill all of us?

(Thanks for the direct informative reply.)

2 Likes

Thank you for getting it out there, I think it’s a good thing to share! I should get my Dragon HC PC in a week or two; hopefully before Christmas!

1 Like

Ha! Support those that help the community collective.

1 Like

Your review convinced me to buy the Dragon 48 hdmi cable.

2 Likes

You will be happy with the Dragon48. So far there has not been a cable that can better it as far as I know. :+1:

3 Likes

I haven’t replaced mine. I use it with my computer desk system. Stealth USB to Matrix and Dragon 48 to DSD Jr. I am not looking to change any of that but I did replace my solid state amp with a tube amp. No new cables needed for that switch.

4 Likes

Now, that’s just crazy talk.

5 Likes

I only replaced 6 cables this year, and I should be done.

But I know better. So, I got an extra set of Furutech plugs for my next power cable.:ok_hand:

4 Likes

I’m so tickled you are digging that tube amp. I’m really digging my new one. . … but it’s like the ninth that I have owned.

Edit to add: I did a more accurate count–I’ve owned twelve.

2 Likes

The Solid State Amp already had excellent cables. I unplugged it and used the same cables. Everything broken in.

1 Like

You took me serious. you silly.

2 Likes

I replaced 2 cables this year, not quite at the same level, but my old bi-wire speaker cables did not reach far enough apart from one another at the speaker end, so I had an excuse to buy new Cardas Clear Cygnus speaker cables with custom bi-wire termination lengths at the speaker end. The other cable I had to replace was AQ Red River XLR, and moved up to their mythical horses line with Pegasus XLR, and am happy with that running from No. 523 preamp to M1200’s.

But I have not started with any power cords, or fuses, yet…

2 Likes

Do power cords first, fuses can wait🙂

2 Likes

FWIW, I have never heard a very significant improvement moving up the PC food chain.

I believe the system has benefited but the changes have been incremental and subtle. As a result, I remain a bit of a skeptic when it comes to the value proposition of really big buck power cables and aftermarket fuses. I have some older Shunyata power cables and PSA AC-12s as well as a pair of garden-hosed sized Pangea’s (serving my 500 wpc mono amps) sprinkled throughout the system. All and all, they seem nice (as our virtual friend Al would say).

That said, I am coming around to the idea that the design and make up a power cable and fuse has the potential to make a significant difference. However, I came to
this belief a bit sideways.

I pulled my fuse from my PSA P-10 AC Regenerator and replaced it with a copper slug/Swiss Digital Fuse Box (SWDF) combination. Unlike my experience with swapping “better” power cables around and in and out of my system, I immediately heard a discernible and positive difference in my system (I listen primarily to CDs, SACDs and streamed, local files) with the SDFB.

This experience got me thinking the last bit of length along the power pathway into our components does indeed matter, and so, likely, do fuses and PCs.

YMMV.

5 Likes

I’ve had a full loom of PSA AC12 and both versions 1 and 2 of Shunyata’s Alpha and Sigma power cables. Currently AC Dragons on source and Hurricanes on power. Each climb of the ladder resulted in significant, near component-level changes. It sometimes varies in range from subtle to dramatic, but a gain nonetheless. The only constant is the perceived gain is not linear to the investment required, at least in my case. Spending increasingly more to get more seems to be the law with cables, systems, life.

8 Likes

I have the same result on power cord upgrades.

4 Likes

Everyday my wife is telling me that, as husband/father I firmly try to negate this assumption! As audiophile I repeat in my mind: yep, that’s the truth!
Am I a bad person?

2 Likes

That depends. If our audio “addiction” adversely affects family and friends, the case could be made. I think that on balance this hobby is relatively benign. Too much food, drink, or other stimulants used to reach and equivalent daily high could be rough on body, mind, and family. The real costs, are just that, costs. That’s why I try to stay on budget with my audio toys, and never reveal to the one who puts up with me, what I actually spend on a cable or fuse.

11 Likes