Auralic vs. Aurender vs. Innuos vs. others

Of course a GTT video is going to recommend the products they sell hahaha

Also, in my opinion, anyone who dismisses a SMPS just because of its topology loses credibility. When properly designed a SMPS can handily outperform linear power supplies. It all comes down to design/integration, linear supplies can be designed poorly too.

I am not @davidny but my upgrade path looked like this:

DSD Sr. --> AURALiC Vega G2 + Leo Gx --> Mola Mola Tambaqui

The Tambaqui is the best sounding of the bunch and it’s not even close. It is as transparent and revealing as being in the recording studio itself. If you want ‘tube sound’ then you probably won’t like it.

2 Likes

Not to mention the typical linear power supply has horrific power factor at the AC mains. Lots of harmonic distortion in the current waveform which can’t be ideal for “low noise” and clean sound. Now as you state an SMPS especially with PFC (power factor correction) could easily outperform the garden variety linear supply.

1 Like

As always, not true in all cases, but in majority of cases linear PSU have significantly outperformed SMPS, the ONLY PSU I’ve seen that can come close is from SOtM, no other switching power supply has performed as well as well designed linear ones, SPECIALLY for powering DACs.

I’ll defer to an actual expert who designs DACs:

Or experts who use them in their amps:

Yes, cheap China wall warts are bad and poorly designed. However, if you buy any audio gear that is intelligently designed and replace its SMPS with a linear power supply you are most likely degrading your performance.

But hey, half of this hobby is psycho-acoustically driven; so if having an extra box in your stack makes you feel better that is ok too. I do the same with my galvanic USB isolator that I don’t need and my ISOAcoustics pucks under all my front-end :slight_smile: Audio jewelry :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

Yes many ways to improve the sound of a digital front end. Here is a listing of the current equipment in my digital system, the result of many incremental steps.

Digital: Oyen Digital Mini Pro RAID with two 2TB SSD’s => USB => Roon Nucleus Plus => ethernet => Cisco Meraki Go GS110-8-HW switch => ethernet => Auralic Aries G2 => USB => Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC.

Ethernet connection: FIOS => Netgear Orbi Satellite system => Cisco Meraki switch

DC Power: Sean Jacobs custom linear power supply with 4 adjustable outputs

Cabling: All AC and DC power and analog interconnect cables, and USB and ethernet cables by Kubala-Sosna (Realization and Elation)

The Mola Mola Tambaqui was a major step up from the DIrectstream, but then it lists for about 2X more $’s.

By the way, I did try an EtherRegen. I had it for 2 months so it was fully burned in. Although it caused the sound field to expand a bit and there was more separation of the instruments, all positive attributes that we look for, but the dynamics and body of instruments became thinned out. I listen mostly to classical music and I frequently attend concerts at Carnegie Hall. The effect of the EtherRegen wasn’t, for me, a more realistic sound. The fine folks at UpTone say they are delivering a more accurate digital signal. But I’ve always relied on what I hear and how that compares to live, un amplified music. So I returned it and bought an inexpensive Cisco switch for commercial application. It took a long time to burn in but I like the sound signature much better. I must be the one out of 100’s who didn’t like the ER!

2 Likes

Only very few ppl supply a well-designed PSU, Chord maybe one of them but most cheap out on the PSU.

Well anything you may chose to buy has been recommended by the seller. I’m just sharing my experiences so that others can have another point of reference as they decide what they want to buy.

The custom linear power supply by Sean Jacobs who is based in the UK, that I use also made a big difference in comparison to a HDPLEX 200W lps which preceded it. I haven’t had the pleasure of hearing a well designed SMPS. I’m sure all designs have their advantages and disadvantages, and the implementation of any design adds great variability to the outcome.

I agree 100% with you about the sound of the Tambaqui. I auditioned the Auralic Vega / Leo GX versus a Mola Mola Makua with built in DAC board and knew it was worth waiting for the Tambaqui.

1 Like

The switch-moder in my Lumin U1 Mini was a very, very pleasant for me in that regard. Chuffed!

I looked at the gear in that video and was amazed at the costs for the pieces he recommended. The DAC certainly has my attention, but at $14k it likely isn’t coming my way. The price for the power cord for the linear power supply he mentioned is flat out absurd. NEVER MIND.

I had my new EtherREGEN hooked up to the 7 volt feed on my Keces P8. It sounded swell. Then I used the switching power supply supplied with it (and recommended by the maker of the EtherREGEN as all that is needed) and it again sounded swell. As in no different. Still, I am bringing home from my cabin one of my many Uptone Audio LPS 1.2 power supplies to try it with the EtherREGEN.

I am actually pretty fed up right now with this entire process. No, an I3 processor is useless, you have to start with at least an I7. You need to use an external linear power supply to feed your battery charger to charge your phone. (for best sound) . Only a fool would spend less than $9000 on the 12 volt cable between your linear power supply feeding your linear power supply.

I will admit to believing I can hear some of the “improvements” such things bring. But I think ordering a Revelation Audio HDMI cable because it will sound better than my beloved WireWorld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI cable is my final act of this sort. I wish to be done. I think I am better than this. yap yap yap yap.

[dies]

4 Likes

SotM is the only SMPS power supply that sound good, and at the lower end, the iFi 50W PSU wall wart is very good for the price.

That is a simple enough statement. I am curious as to what you may have to back it up.

1 Like

The ones I HAVE HEARD! All DACs I’ve tested always improved with better linear power supply. I also am unaware of any other companies than iFi and SoTm making audiophile grade switching power supply. Maybe Chord includes one with theirs, but most others don’t.

I am sympathetic to the audiophile tread mill syndrome! The only cure is get your favorite beverage and immerse yourself in you favorite music. All should be forgotten!

Yes the cost of this recommendation IS expensive. Even the cabling is costly, but adding a high quality power cord to a HDPLEX is a revelation for your Nucleus or NUC. But if you’re financially able to pursue “the best” this set from my listening experience is up there. But the cost is a small % of the cost of a top of the line dCS or MSB four box solution. And given the historical rate of technological obsolescence of digital gear I’m not a believer in 6 figure digital front end.

1 Like

Not sure what DAC’s you’ve been listening to but the last one I had that didn’t take a standard IEC power cord was a $300 Peachtree Dac-It over six years ago. If what you’re used to is “portable” sized DACs like most Chords and iFi’s that may be true and your statement could be true.

Innuos owner here.
Great product, crap customer service.

What issue did you have needing customer service? They seem more popular in Europe being from Portugal.

I’ve always had great customer service from Innuos. Just email them and they will respond within 24-48 hours.

Just basic questions - getting in touch with them as compared to aurender is a PITA.
I think I was trying to get in touch with them because of a library sync issue and then an issue with Spotify.

Seriously 48 hours !!!
Try PS Audios customer service. I thought this was 2021 and we had stopped sending telegrams

ANY company getting back to you within 48hrs is good these days. It’s the volume of stupid emails ppl receive. I think ALL companies should setup a Chat support. Way way wayyyy more efficient for both customers, and customer service ppl.