Australian P10

Aside from the Australian style plugs, is an Australian P10 any different from a US version. I ask because Paul did mention a while back about the 50Hz AC in non-US countries needing bigger toroidal transformers to work properly. Does the Australian P10 use a bigger toroidal transformer?

PS Audio probably did the same as everybody else who sells internationally - Size the transformer for 50Hz and let the 60Hz countries benefit from an oversized transformer.

J.P.

P10 transformers have multiple windings on them. For the Australian units we utilize the 230V primary windings (as opposed to 120V). There is one other difference. In Australia we expect the supply voltage to be high – we have reports of voltages greater than 270V. So, we have an additional circuit that senses the high voltages, and automatically switches in another transformer winding to optimize the voltage fed to the regenerator circuit.

Very neat.

Thanks!

(And welcome to the sand pile!)

That’s great info and a very quick response. Thanks @dpaananen

@dpaananen - That’s interesting. I have a P10 in the UK right now, but am moving sometime next year to Oz. So is my unit going to be missing that extra circuit you mention above? Should the P10 go to the PSAudio spa in Boulder for a week before heading south?

@dpaananen - That's interesting. I have a P10 in the UK right now, but am moving sometime next year to Oz. So is my unit going to be missing that extra circuit you mention above? Should the P10 go to the PSAudio spa in Boulder for a week before heading south?

<:-P

@wingsounds13 We actually take the opposite approach JP. All our transformers are built for 50Hz - which means they work even better at 60Hz. We don’t like having two varieties and if you have to choose one or the other, go for the 25% larger version at 50Hz.

@admin - isn’t that what JP said? Or have I lost it?

@stereophilus :-bd <:-P

David said: isn't that what JP said?

Yup!

I think Paul meant to reference David. :)

:open_mouth:

Summary:

Paul answered your question (erroneously referencing JP) and, by doing so, indirectly confirmed JP’s hypothesis.

Detailed analysis:

JP theorized: "Size the transformer for 50Hz and let the 60Hz countries benefit from an oversized transformer."

Dpaananen stated: “P10 transformers have multiple windings on them.” He further offered neat technical details.

You asked: “So is my unit going to be missing that extra circuit you mention above?”

Paul’s statement, “We actually take the opposite approach” plays three roles:

1) It was in response to your above query ( “So is my unit going to be missing that extra circuit you mention above?”). Translation: "No."

2) It provided an element of confusion. Unfortunately, Paul referred to “JP” instead of “David” when answering your question.

3) It confirms JP’s hypothesis.

Simplified version for Dummies:

"Isn’t that what JP said?"

Yes.

This dummy appreciates the wizardly decoding.

But it still sounds like, from Dpaananen’s response, that the Oz units ONLY have the extra circuits, whereas mine in the UK might not (despite the fact that I’ve seen voltages in the 257 range). Paul’s response didn’t allude to this, in any event, so despite being right about “isn’t that what JP said?” I dunno for sure if I have the extra circuit.

:-S

@dpaananen has some serious credentials. Even Paul is just a PS Expert. I wonder if he’ll be seen 'round here again to answer your question?

Nice summary Elk.

As David noted, I don’t see a clear answer to the question of the ‘Australian voltage circuit’ being present or absent in units built for other countries. I suspect that the answer is that it is present in all units and functional in units wired for 220/240V. Just my guess, but based on the concept of common circuitry for all units rather than custom boards depending on the destination country.

J.P.

stereophilus said: @dpaananen has some serious credentials.

yes indeed.

uncle Bob", our multi-faith wizard, was the original "maven". good to see the category has growth.
wingsounds13 said: I suspect that the answer is that it is present in all units and functional in units wired for 220/240V.

This is my expectation as well, but I fully appreciate wanting to double check and perhaps triple check.

In any event, the technology is very cool. There is always more going on behind the scenes than I often appreciate.

Hi David,

All P10s have the ‘special’ circuit. However, in the UK it is set to anticipate low voltage, whereas in Australia it is set to look for high voltage. In most installations it will not matter, since the voltage range will remain within nominal specs. However if you are moving to the outback or a poorly regulated zone, you may need a reconfiguration.

Dave

@dpaananen - Thanks - useful to know.

@stereophilus - what’s the top voltage you see?

@dpaananen - Thanks - useful to know.

@stereophilus - what’s the top voltage you see?