Axpona

Any news from tonight?

I’d love to hear about feedback from folks about the SQ of DS

+1. A lot of people waiting on this thread I’ll bet. :-)

I have someone there and will post there thoughts as soon as they email me
al

A friend of mine is going to check out the room and get back to me.

Ok this just in.
…class d amp and emerald physics dipole speakers.

My peep just got back to me saying it sounded really good. Really good choice on speakers. Amps class D it’s in a underwood dealer room
Speakers are emerald physics dipole speakers and the amps are emerald as well CLASS D . I am happy my bro liked it as I bought one . And I am a dipole fan so it’s all good by me . I am also happy for Paul with what he is going though to get his new amp great he could use this to be a big hit as it appears it is.

All the best to ps audio

Al

Al, to clarify a bit, it sounds like the Underwood room was using Emerald Physics Class D amps with the Direct Stream, not Paul’s prototype, which is not Class D. Correct?

sorry for any confusion I have added to this

the room was underwood audio dealer room .
the speakers were the emerald dipole speakers
and there amps Class D
using the direct stream as the dac . he did not say if paul was there or the room number to be honest.
so you might be correct as they are a dealer of ps audio.
and no pauls amp was not being used .
I can abtain more detail on Monday, but he did like it and the subs they were using as well.

Hard to believe additional substantive, informed feedback from the show is not available…anyone, anyone…?

Frode said Any news from tonight?

I was there on Friday. The sub was a REL T9. It was not Paul’s amp. It was the direct stream playing from the Mac mini Paul has been talking about. Paul forgot the power cable for the Mac and had to fashion one on the spot. The direct stream sounded great. Paul played several comparison tracks from cd compared to the same high res dsd file. There was a slight improvement with dsd. It was playing through the usb input with the jplay cable. Sounded extremely good from either source!! Hope mine gets here soon.

If there was only a slight improvement from CD to DSD something seems off about that. Shouldn’t there be a significant improvement, even though the CD sounds great on it’s own? Could the system have not been extremely resolving? Could it have been a substandard DSD mastering? Anyone else experience this on the system at Axpona?

Also what with the hard math problems to be able to post? Hey, I’m no Ted Smith if you get my drift.

IMO People have always been all over the map on CD to DSD differences: even two people listening to the same system at the same time. The best I can make of it is that we all listen for/hear different things.

emailists said If there was only a slight improvement from CD to DSD something seems off about that. Shouldn't there be a significant improvement, even though the CD sounds great on it's own? Could the system have not been extremely resolving? Could it have been a substandard DSD mastering? Anyone else experience this on the system at Axpona?

Also what with the hard math problems to be able to post? Hey, I’m no Ted Smith if you get my drift.

Is this still true? What do you mean by math problems to post? I am not seeing that.

emailists said If there was only a slight improvement from CD to DSD something seems off about that. Shouldn't there be a significant improvement, even though the CD sounds great on it's own? Could the system have not been extremely resolving? Could it have been a substandard DSD mastering? Anyone else experience this on the system at Axpona?

What’s happening is that DirectStream narrows the gap between CD and high resolution audio - not be lowering the quality of the high resolution, but by raising the quality of the CD - by rather a significant margin. That was the whole idea behind the demo. On PCM based DACs the differences are quite large because CDs don’t sound a whole lot better. But with DirectStream, CDs are taken to a whole new level of resolution, one most people have never quite experienced.

Paul, when one wants to post, the site asks that one does a little math problem before allowing the post to be submitted… it’s just kind of an unnecessary inconvenience…

Paul McGowan said

Is this still true? What do you mean by math problems to post? I am not seeing that.

erikm said Paul, when one wants to post, the site asks that one does a little math problem before allowing the post to be submitted.. it's just kind of an unnecessary inconvenience..
It did for me until my Admin status was reinstated. I'm pretty sure Paul doesn't see it when he posts.

I think then it must be that only the proletariat sees it? Ahh once again it’s the MAN putting it to the people ;-)

Dang. Ok, thanks for the heads up. That’s silly. I’ll try and figure it out.

I stated earlier that dsd was a slight improvement over cd. That is because cd sounded fabulous. Dsd was better, but both were absolutely wonderful!!!

YES cd and dsd getting closer is a great thing. as well have many cd,s and not as much dsd.

paul the math thing is to help you from getting attacked by bots again. many sites have things like that . some have those really annoying letter and number combos . I don’t have to tell you I have really hard time with that . given my typing skills show you why hahaha.

do what is best for ps audio we will all adjust . I had two peeps listen to your room and they both loved it .

alcool