Balanced cables

any ideas on where in system to put your best balanced cables—dsd streamer to bhk pre-amp or pre-amp to bhk monoblocks? just got purist dominus balanced IC which will be my best cable vs synergistic research balanced cable to be used for the other connection

Sources first. You can’t recover what you’ve already lost.

5 Likes

Concur, good call !

ANALOG sources first.

Galen, why analog first?

I would put it on the source I listen to most first. I feel like I’d get more value over time.

I think Galen agrees with you. First analog source is the dac.

1 Like

Ahh, you’re right. I interpreted it as turntables, phono, etc. rather than analog cables/signals.

2 Likes

I mean ANALOG signal’s first after the speaker cable. Digital is bit perfect and to hear a change there, it needs to have the filters in the DAC changed (Huron/Yale/Torreys/Windom as examples) or change the DAC.

The critical cable links are analog signals as once information is lost there it can’t ever be recovered. Digital is never lost in a proper Ethernet system, and the AD and DA are the “loss” and cables won’t change that. Do the digital cable last and remember bit perfect is bit perfect. The PHASE and amplitude are “recorded” in the digital word at the A to D stage.

Noise is ignored in the digital chain until the eye pattern is degraded to the points that the Digital signal is too low relative to the noise, and modern construction filters can dig digital out from as much a 3 to 6 dB BELOW the noise level. That’s pretty darn good.

Best,
Galen

2 Likes

I agree on the analog signal path points, but I have recordings of clearly audible changes attributable to swapping only the USB xor HDMI cables, all other variables constant.

I also agree the digital cables do not impact the actual bits transferred, but something about those digital cables is causing audible changes in my system. I’m not expert enough to explain what.

1 Like

Didn’t mention whether you’re a TT person. I am. My best balanced cable goes between my phono pre and BHK line stage hands down. If only I wasn’t a lazy audiophile, I’d be working on a balanced tonearm cable solution in which case that would be my where my best balanced cable would go. IMO high level sources (e.g. DACs) and pre to power amp aren’t priorities because of the order of volts signal being passed. That is unless you have, say, an annoying common mode noise problem running balanced would eliminate (often effective against hum). I do run balanced throughout, but simply because use of balanced cables from my high level sources and between my pre and power amp is the best one stop solution to knock out common mode nasties with minimum additional effort.

I put the best ones between preamp and power amp. Right now I have WW Platinum Eclipse 8’s which is just about as transparent as I’ve ever heard from a cable. I decided to try something new and better so I just bought these.
Wywires Diamond Balanced interconnects. I will give a report on how they compares with the WW Platinum’s when I get them.

4 Likes

Remember, the question was, “the most” benefit. I can change the DAC firmware with zip network changes or IC changes, and there is a VERY obvious difference. Or chose the filter on some DAC’s. So update the DAC firmware choice first.

Analog links are second, speaker then IC’s. Last is digital, not never mind you, and the firmware is your best bang for the buck there so grab that!

Best,
Galen

@waymanchen11 looking forward to that review.

I too have realized as much benefit with digital cables, specifically HDMI carrying IS2 LVDS and USB, as I have with DS fw updates. Repeatedly and consistently.

2 Likes

Agree.
My PST transport, a digital device, responds noticeably to power cables; “expert” opinions not withstanding. And the hdmi interface to my DAC also makes a nice difference.

2 Likes

I may be interested in your WW ICs, should you decide they’ll need a new home. :grinning:

They already have another place to go if the Wywires beats it. But thanks for the offer.

I just received the Wywires Diamond’s today! These cables are incredible!! The best I’ve heard. Compared to the WW Platinum Eclipse 8’s, they make the Eclipse 8’s sound a bit congested. The Wywires places the instruments more clearly in the soundstage. Images are more palpable and finely detailed. The instruments in the back stage is also more present and lively. The cables are used, so no need to break in. I’ve had Tara Labs Zero and Synergistic Galileo LE interconnects in my system before, and they don’t impress me as much. If you get a chance, audition a pair of these Wywires Diamond’s. It’s quite an experience!

4 Likes

I just visited the Wywires website. They are have a 40% off sale.

2 Likes

That significantly makes them more attractive!

1 Like