Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

Yes everyone, I have changed my reference “speaker” to the T+A Solitaire CWT 1000-40 anniversary carbon edition (LONG name!) speaker.

I have been using the martin Logan CLX and Dyn Audio C4 signatures for eveluations but grew weary of moving them all the time. The CLX excel mids (better here) on up, the C4 mids on down (better here).

The 1000-40 is an unusual speaker, and probably not at all what USA buyers are used to seeing in the market. It is a hybrid design that uses an line-array electrostsatic panel, eight line array md bass couplers and four smaller woofers opposed to one another, two on each SIDE of the cabinet.

The sound? Fantastic. They excel everywhere with the possible exception to 20 Hz bass (not big enough). But for 99.9% of music they are terrific at what the C4 and CLX have done but even better and in ONE speaker.

The speakers tolerances for things is outstanding (this will drive most people nuts!). My phono cartridges (SIMIKO Blackbird and Benz Micro Ruby Z) stand out from each other far more than I could hear before, for instance. The speakers SPEED tracks the input far better than anything 've heard, and in a tolerable sized package that weigths “only” 176 pounds! I have to be able to get them into my basement studio and even then, I’d STILL pick this speaker for how fantastic it sounds.

This speaker won’t satisfy a lot of peole as it is way away from the mainstream sound. It is NOT in any way rolled off to tansients anywhere in the frequency range. The DESIGN assures you of that. It is dynamically accurate to a fault of your source material big time. The variation of my sources quality has GROWN substantially with this speaker…and that points to better accuracy. To me speed, slew rate if you will, is utmost importnt in a speaker. yes, the steady state response needs to be flat, too but if I’m paying $$$ I better get crazy good dynamic speed EVERYWHERE, too.

The 1000-40 are a passive design so I can better hear the INPUT verses the DSP electronics in many speakers as best I can. This is debatable in actual accuracy of “distortions”, I agree. I went with a more simplified path, as though any modern speaker is simple. Yes, they are bi-wired to the amp.

I’ve shifted to the P20 on a 20 amp circuit from my P10 to keep up with the art, and changed my speakers as well to keep better “in tune” with capability. The P20 is loafing at 24% duty cycle at full honk (90 dB SPL peaks) and has a full 3600 VA headroom at that steady state draw, more than the wall socket, for power supply transparent IC and speaker cable evaluations.

How does the current set-up sound? Terrific. I use SPTPC speaker cable bi-wire wth UP OCC IC RCA and XLR throughout as the reference right now.

Since I have to buy this equipment with my own dollars, I’m really picky about what it is and how it works within a price point, so rest assured I use what I think is very good, not because a vendor or manufacturer gave it to me. I pick my reference system components myself based on how they perform, not the vendor’s or manufacturer’s politics.

Happy Holidays all. My house will be filled with some speakers breaking-in! Loreena McKennitt Christmas carols!

Best,
Galen Gareis

7 Likes