Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

@Gary_M: Welcome! There is only one design of Iconoclast speaker cables with differing conductor materials. I am jealous that you guys have a club. It seems less common these days and it sounds like you had a great time, too. The whole idea of being an audiophile is meant to be fun, IMHO, and it gets lost sometimes, at least on the web. I’m glad that you shared your opinion and hope that the others in your group will join us.

Gary, yes, latest version, made last Weds. I agree that it’s possible/likely that more break in would affect the sound of them further. But they seem pretty stable now, so they are probably at least 90% broken in, but that’s just a guess. When they were brand new I played a jazz trumpet quartet track and I did hear significant ringing and overtone bloom on the trumpet, a sound with which I am very familiar since I played for 30 years. And also a slight stuffiness that sounded kind of like dynamic compression. But those vanished within 30 minutes and even with them the big dense sound of the wires was captivating from the beginning, I listened happily through the first couple hours with no distraction from break in artifacts, all the while thinking, “wow these are really good I hope I can afford them.”

wglenn, thanks for the welcome. Central Carolina seems to have quite a lot of active audiophiles. There are several active clubs.

A great review and much appreciated by all of us at BJC and Iconoclast. Gary had a bit more time with the cables than the other attendees. These cables were indeed “brand new” built and tested the day before they shipped to NC. I do indeed hope that some of the other club members and attendees who listened to the comparison will also post their thoughts. The only caution I could possibly perceive was the dozen though very well mixed tracks and a 2-hour evaluation. For me, A/B tests are often difficult nail down as I much prefer a few days of listening, going back to my originals for a day and then back to the new candidate. But, without question, we all hear differently. A very impressive system was compiled for this test. I wished I could have been there! Thank you again Rich and the others in the audio club!!

Haha, welcome, @richidoo! I mixed up the welcome and the replies. Not enough coffee in me I guess.

1 Like

Excellent review of ICONOCLAST speaker cable. The expansive and real life soundstage is a firm character of the design. When I designed the cables, you have to voice the product, like it or not, and that voice is mine. A “number” less defines my reason for this voice, unlike the design verification measurements. How L and C are derived change that voice.

I had several reference cables costing tens of thousands a set to a few bucks a set, and to me, the lack of that immersive soundstage was slightly there or AWOL in referenced speaker cables. ICONOCLAST projects a WIDE, DEEP and convincing soundstage I really missed under extended listening sessions. The BODY of the sound is more 3D in dimension and size.

Cables that sounded more “precise” I determined were the result of what is MISSING to my (emphasis on “my”) ear. Take a complex painting. At first view it is more than the eye can take-in. REMOVE parts of the painting until the eye can “immediately” focus on the remaining scene. A black dot on a page is pretty precise! We aren’t talking this extreme, but the ear and eye see and hear similarly to detail. The soundstage that was more “precise” was truly that, but what was missing took away the realism of the painting. I decided to keep the realism, as that is what is most missing in 2-channel stereo. I decided adding a soundstage dimension that is natural, and realistic, is what makes a stereo so enjoyable to listen to. Are stereo images more realistically oriented in spacing coloration? Technically STEREO is a coloration, but to trick the ear into feeling it is part of an actual event is what this hobby is all about.

Quality cables can do either method; precision versus soundstage, and I’m glad you feel ICONOCLAST does “it’s thing” really well. Precision and edge detail are anything but lacking in this product as the ability to REMOVE the overlap between instruments is what ALLOWS that soundstage to exist with proper visual image placement.

ICONOCLAST was developed by myself, and ONLY myself so the voicing as it is, is my fault or my success. Another same as design that wasn’t the purpose of ICONOCLAST, but using honest engineering to develop a cable completely isolated from the current fashion was. Does it sound convincing in a stereo reproduction? Does it ADD anything that is hard to find in current cable at REASONABLE prices. Sure, I could find cable that was close, but at museum level prices, to be seen and looked at but could never be heard. I wanted to bring a sense of realism to everyone as a viable choice.

Choice is good, especially a choice between two excellent products where there was just one before. Your ear will admit to you when an important listening aspect is tardy, listen to that voice and choose to please that inner voice. Do that and either choice is a good one. What is right is what is right for you. ICONOCLAST is a CHOICE, and delivers a true difference for the price we ask. This is exactly why it exists in the market. We hope many will feel this choice is the right one, and at a fair price.

Galen Gareis

2 Likes

Yeah we definitely have fun at these GTG.

See here for more fun from the meet.

I can testify the Iconoclast cable and Snowmass have added more dimensions, instrument separation, clarity, precision to both of my audio systems than I thought possible. My impressions were confirmed by a friend who recently commented the system sounded 10x better. He seems to favorably compare my mostly PS Audio system to his Boulder and Esoteric system.

@DrPain what Iconoclast cables did you install? Speaker cables? Interconnects? Both?

Also, what cable did you have prior?

What cable have I used?
The short answer to that would be all the cables I have been selling on this site. I think the last set up I had before switching over to the Iconoclast cables were, Shunyata interconnects between my transport, DAC and preamp, and ZU Mission between my preamp and Monoblocks. Siltech speaker cables. Will Glenn introduced me to the Gen 1 TPC and I was hooked. The short version of my cable journey is I eventually switched to the Gen 1 UPOCC interconnects for the entire system. It was like adding an expensive new component to the system. I am now running Gen II thanks to Galen, and SPTPC speaker cable. As stated by others on the forum, the copper and construction makes a noticible difference is sound. Each generation is an improvement. The current Blue Jeans pricing is phenomenal. You should audition a pair, but be forewarned you will want to buy them, even if it means breaking your budget to do so.

2 Likes

That’s the kind of feedback I like, comparisons and overall impressions. I could care less about the technical mumbo-jumbo. Can’t wait to audition them. Thanks.

1 Like

Greetings and Merry Christmas to all! Good news from Kurt in Seattle. We are now in possession of Gen 2, 4x4, XLR cable in OFE and can be ready to ship in days. Gary, Chris and Roger’s orders will ship later this week and though I can’t tell you exactly when they will arrive, it will be soon. Sometimes the holidays can cause delays. I then have another dozen or so audition orders for TPC waiting until cable arrives. I will certainly keep everyone up to date. The OFE variants will be incredible interconnects. It is Christmas you know. Feel free to shoot me a note if you are interested in trying one or more pairs or place your orders on the website at www.iconoclastcable.com Thanks to all!! By the way, you should spend time on the www.bluejeanscable.com site as well. There is a wealth of information on the best HDMI and data cables available.

Bob Howard
BJC

1 Like

Wow that’s great news. Do you know if an email will be sent out with a tracking #?

Thanks,

Gary

I will try to get tracking to you when they ship. Thank you.

Any word on the tax issue for orders placed before Jan 1?

Thank you, I’m on the waitlist already.

Bob, Galen, and Kurt have been incredible to work with in getting auditions of TPC and SPTPC
Iconoclast speaker cables (I kept the SPTPC) — and the TPC Gen II XLRs. OFE Gen II XLRs are what will be on the way soon (and the likely keepers?). Guys, thanks for the excellent customer service! And wishing you and your families the best this holiday season…

3 Likes

Hi Brett, I’m giving you a call. We have not received the 4x4 in TPC yet. Working on it.

We are HOPING to have the TPC XLR material very shortly – long, long (and very dull) story, but while it is supposed to be on its way to us we won’t be sure until we actually see it. I’m about to make the OFE orderable on the website – for TPC and OCC, you’ll be able to view prices, but not to order.

Kurt

Are Iconoclast speaker cables available in a bi-wire version? If so, how much does it add to the cost of a 3 meter TPC cable set?

Hi Jeff, essentially, a bi-wire variant would be the same as 2-pair of cables and would be priced accordingly. They are available in whatever configuration of cable and terminations you like. Though I’m happy to quote your exacting need, we might want to discuss gains of such a cable as apposed to solid copper jumpers and a single pair of cables. This is where Galen will step in. Thank you!!

I too would be interested in Galen’s (rower30) thoughts on bi-wiring. I know he had Vandersteen Quatros at one time, so he has some experience. I may be reading into JeffofArabica’s post, but I think he was thinking of internal bi-wire, versus a true bi-wire where there are two separate runs of full range cable, joined only at the amp end. I have Vandersteens and Richard Vandersteen recommends true bi-wire which can get expensive. If I go with the Iconoclast my inclination would be to start with one run and a jumper, but before doing so I would like Galen’s thoughts.