Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

Congratulations. You can’t beat line arrays for imaging, details and soundstage where speakers disappear. I love mine. Best of all any tweak is immediately revealed. I know why PS Audio uses the IRS V as reference.

Those hybrids look interesting

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up…i gathered as much…
Down in Nola this week for some football and music. Fortunate enough to catch a wonderful Tribute to Joco Pastorius hosted by Ricky Sebastian and tendered by a world class sixtet to Include Bill Summers and a steel drums virtuoso. Admission by donation …A room that fit 150 people max and engineered for sound . If you ever get a chance . Jazz and Heritage center on N Rampart

It’s a location on my bucket list, as is Whistler.

I am happy to report that Galen’s T+A line sources are indeed outstanding and that no audiophiles were seriously injured while loading them in to his basement listening room/lab/lair. Splinters and bruises were the worst that we got but there were some moments of minor terror, confined mostly to the planning stage when we did trial runs for safety. We both wished that our sons were there for muscle but an improvised “pulley” system consisting of rope and a 4x4 kept death at bay. :laughing: The job became quite a bit easier when we decided to ditch the nicely designed, modular packing crates, bringing the size and weight into a better range for two geezers. Right out of the box I had not heard anything like these before and I can now understand why they got Galen and drpain’s attention from the hallway at Axpona. He says that they have blossomed during an aggressive breaking in period. Coherent across the frequency range that they offer, they present an extraordinary level of delicate detail combined with remarkable authority, solidity and impact in the midrange and bass. Galen described the initial midrange sound as a bit “nasal”, I would say, “chesty,” but he says that this has left the building now that the conventional drivers for mids and bass have been exercised and proper setup has been applied. They are a perfect match for his cables. I’ve not heard anything better even at many times the cost. There are apparently only four pairs of these speakers in the US and 3 sets, Galen’s included, are approved auditioning installations. Oops… did I just invite a bunch of people to your house? :joy: :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

The address please? :grin:

BTW, @galen-gareis or Bob, what is the minimum length possible for the speaker cables?

Merry Christmas!

1 Like

That is a theoretically loaded
question and best left for Galen! :grin:

Tony,

You can make mono amp jumpers (picture) easy enough and 3.5 feet end to end min length. I would NOT use, nor can it work, to make “terminal jumpers” with ICONOCLAST speaker cable. If you have bi-wire terminals, I’d get true bi-wire (picture) if you have speakers of that caliber. We discount the second lead when you bi-wire as we feel the cost pinch to do bi-wire.

Best,
Galen Gareis

Thanks Galen. I recently moved to monoblock amps, so the are much closer to each speaker than previously with my stereo amp. I know the Iconoclast speaker cables are rather stiff, so I wasn’t sure how short they could get before handling problems ensued. So 3.5 feet it is. Maybe I’d go with 4 feet just to get a bit of extra breathing room.

1 Like

Received my speaker leads a couple days ago. I’m testing both the TPC and SPTC. First of all I will admit that prior to this I haven’t heard expensive cables before and I thought my BJC ten white cables worked just fine but I can say that I clearly hear a difference between the iconoclasts and my previous cables.

What I’m surprised about is that I don’t hear that much of a difference between the sptc and the tpc. Where are are all of you hearing differences? What are you listening for? I haven’t changed out my interconnects yet and I’m using BJC xlrs to connect my components. Could that be part of the reason I’m not hearing a difference between the speaker leads?

Wondering if you went to UofM, like me (“goblue”). If so, that could be it. ; )

Lol. I’m a big Michigan Fan and grew up about 15 miles from Ann Arbor, which is the only reason I didn’t go there. I went to Michigan Tech.

I didn’t perceive enough difference between TPC and SPTPC to warrant the difference in spend.

I would encourage you to try the interconnects too. They work very well together.

Grew up in Plymouth, which is 15m from there.

I’ve found/am now assuming the difference is very system dependent, having auditioned them in different systems, and found less difference/different differences depending.

Crazy I grew up in Canton

Thanks. Yes I plan to try the interconnects at some point.

I went for 9th grade to the old HS in town my older brothers attended, while they built the Plymouth/Canton HS campus.

In case y’all think this is off topic, the entire new HS was wired with Iconoclast Cable. ; )

I was born in Canton! (But it was Canton, Ohio.)

1 Like

Canton speakers are good, too. Germany, I think, early adopters of ceramic cones.

1 Like

They sound fantastic with Cantonese audio books.

2 Likes