Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

I am not familiar with the McIntosh gear so it was just a wild guess trying to help. I do like the classic looks though!

1 Like

Well it appears to be related to SPTPC Series 2 cable burn in or my monoblock autoformers burning in after all. It Took around 8 hours to pass and switch back to smooth mid bass and losing shrill nasally apparent vocals.

It will be interesting if anyone else using the SPTPC series 2 gets struck with this temporary curse. Now to cross my fingers it doesn’t return. At least I know not to seek out other system gremlins as a cause.

2 Likes

I’ll have a couple of sets heading this way soon so if I notice anything odd I’ll report in. I don’t think my ears are quite as audiophile as many peeps here but any kind of upper register harshness is like fingernails on the chalkboard to me so it will stick out like the sore thumb or toe. (I just broke 3 toes on one foot so have recent experience)
Glad things are heading in the right direction for you.

1 Like

Nothing like that here. I’ve got about 150-160 hours on them.

Good luck with the foot and the cables. Nails on the chalk board is a good description. I was beside myself

Here’s playlist I have been enjoying. I am sure it is the ticket on your new system.

http://open.qobuz.com/playlist/2811986

2 Likes

Woah, try to take a day off and look what happens…:face_with_spiral_eyes: I can’t imagine a speaker cable running amok to this extent. They are passive. Have you tried replacing the new cables with other speaker cables of “some sort” even if you have to sacrifice some lamps or something to see what happens?

Galen will need to chime in here. There is no condition, electrical or mechanical, to my knowledge that might account for this type of experience. All sources and or components are suspect leaving possibilities of the pre, the DAC and the amps. Good Lord forbid the Mac speakers. Passive cables almost seems like the least likely in my humble opinion.

You do know, that if whatever reason necessitates, we will bring the cables in for complete analysis and/or testing but again, cables are sort of “on or off,” left channel or right channel affected but “both?” The chance of both channels providing some sort of strange presentation is to me slim unless the cables have been possessed by something far outside of my understanding. Run amok copper? Unlikely.

No worries from Iconoclast. We always take care of all.

Bob

Bob, I am sure it was and is just silver and insulation dielectric burn in. They are back doing great already. The curse and blessing of the line arrays is how revealing they can be with 24 tweeters and12 mids and 4 woofers per side.

So little changes get magnified and the levels don’t drop off much with distance.

They are doing superb now and even better than before.

Please define this concept in detail. I need to know more.

3 Likes

Here is an article by a different Galen on cable changes as we use them. They are not faulty. I have had audiophile fuses change sound in the same way as these SP TPC series 2 sorry to have alarmed you. I think the smaller wires and increased insulation dielectric reforming is what I was hearing the highs overpowered everything else given my abundance of tweeters that was what I was hearing.

Arn’t you getting close ot retirement? If, so, days of will soon mean nothing to you!

1 Like

Oh! Is that when I start making playlists that alternate Dylan and Di Meola? Oh goody!

1 Like

Thanks for the playlist. Its in the que.

1 Like

I just perused the Play List.

It looks like a good ‘en.

TY.

Yes lots of acoustic live music. After the last rough patch of burn in on the SPTPC series 2 the music was so open and amazingly live. My wife kept asking me last night, What did you do to fix the music from Friday to Saturday night? It sounded so poor and and you were so frustrated getting up and down trying to fix it. You must have changed something? I said no. “No fixing, it was just new cables.” She said. “So you put in new cables today?” My response “No, the same cables as night before, only let them play music longer.” She gave me an extremely puzzled :thinking: look like I was crazy!

1 Like

That’s b/c you (we) are.

:wink:

4 Likes

It’s been a while since I “incorporated” a play list into Roon.

I can get to the Gershman play list via Roon c/o Qobuz, but it is not in my Roon play lists.

Do yo happen to know (mind hazarding a guess as to) what step I am failing to take to be able to pull the list from here?:

TIA.

Go to Qobuz app. Save it as favorite there. Next time Roon queries Qobuz it will be present in roon under My Qobuz in playlists.

Not sure I follow (may have phrased my question poorly)…

The Gershman Play List is here already:

Was trying to access it from here:

Roon only updates and syncs with Qobuz database every ten or fifteen minutes or some other period I have not figured out. So just wait until that happens.

1 Like

Rebooted Roon and it is there now.

Thanks for the assist.

Cheers.

1 Like