Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

Scott - the next time you add a playlist from Qobuz, try this vs rebooting your Core. It might take Syncing twice, but this usually works for me:

Roon → Settings → Services → Qobuz → Edit → Sync Library Now

2 Likes

After an additional 70 hours or so, I can report that this previous sense of additional sibilance with the SPTPC II is gone. I think this cable fits my system better than the TPC II, but as with all things audio, one change can sometimes lead to another. I’m starting to feel the IC from my DS DAC to my preamp may need to change. More investigation planned.

1 Like

So I got the Series 2 TPC and my initial impression was that it sounded similar to my Kimber 4TC. But with more time I started to notice more separation, more air around everything. Cymbals sound more lifelike with impact and decay.

Playing more complex music revealed more distinct backing vocals and brought forth details that the Kimber was muting. I had to tear myself away to go to bed!

I was prepared to return these very expensive cables if I didn’t hear a major improvement. Suffice to say I don’t think they’re going back. Damn you Galen! And Bravo!

8 Likes

That was exactly my experience as well. If you bought the TPC new, you might consider the relatively small upcharge for SPTPC. The improvement - more of what you just described - isn’t subtle.

Cymbals are a solid example of where the improvements reveal themselves, but the resonance and decay of sounds are simply amazing. The extra sense of body and three-dimensionality is at least on par with that effect.

3 Likes

I have to fill up the hole in my wallet before I dig another.

2 Likes

New 32’ set of OCC XLR’s and 6’ sets of Series 1 + Series 2 SPTPC speakers on the way. :sunglasses:

11 Likes

What a great Christmas present!!

2 Likes

That’s what I’m talkin about. And the shop is closed for the week between Christmas and New Year’s so plenty of time to take in the music!

6 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed following this thread and I’ve learned quite a bit. It inspired me to find a local (Australian) cable company to get to know and throw off the shackles of the larger market. No more big name cable brands for me! I’ve got a few cables in to try from Aurealis in Brisbane and so far I’m very impressed and moved to try more. Doing things that big name brands from the US and UK we’re doing, just at half the cost or even less. Also doing some things those big names weren’t doing.

3 Likes

For the weekend and because the holiday season is at hand I thought I would share my choice for a new “mid-range” driver for those who build their own. I know… from a car audio shop but non-the-less impressive for that sweet spot we all enjoy so much!:joy: Will someone please order these and let me know…[:blush:].Two 33" Subwoofers for ALL the BASS! B2 Audio X26 Ferrite Unboxed & Flexed 10Hz - YouTube

2 Likes

Those look like small trampolines. :grin:

I was hoping to get the new XLR’s and speaker leads in the system and tested this weekend but some other more important things cropped up over the week so it’s a no-go for this weekend.

Dang it anyway. :frowning:

1 Like

Would be really interesting to hear someone’s account comparing:

1. Iconoclast to speaker binding posts, speaker’s internal wiring coming after as usual.
  2. Iconoclast all the way to the drivers
    With the same speakers obviously.

It’s probable that no one has done this - an example that’s seen of Iconoclast SCs all the way is one concerning open baffle speakers so no internal wiring there.
What interests me is the degree to what extent the propagation velocity coherency of Iconoclast is messed up per length by whatever other cabling follows it inside a speaker. How linearly the benefit is lost per length - obviously this’d depend on the geometry of the internal wiring in question. Rarely is internal wiring meticulous at all in terms of geometry, though!

To me this is somewhat nagging all the time, having Iconoclast SCs but as of yet, not that special internal wiring. How much am I getting out of the Iconoclast?
Galen told me a great strategy for DIYing internal wire with qualities approaching Iconoclast principles, involves deconstructing bonded-pair ethernet cable and weaving it consistently. Just haven’t had the damn money for an LCR meter yet!

We have built internal wire sets for someone before, can’t remember who now but it has been done. I often have some leftover pieces that would be good for that sort of thing, and can put a variety of fast-on and other types of connectors typically used for that.

Maybe Dr Pain?

No, it was for a custom set of Legacy Valor speakers. I’m not sure if the person who had them built is a forum member or not- he’s in the San Francisco Audiophile society. Here’s one shot of the inside:

8 Likes

@BobBJC, @rower30, @iconoclastjeff, any thoughts about possibly doing the Florida show this February? Tampa is pretty nice this time of year! :grinning:

It’s close enough Bob could walk there! We were planning a short session on cable electrical that impacts the art, all cables, and have some fun with that at AXPONA. Not a sales pitch but just a, “how stuff works” presentation. Could maybe do one in Florida.

February is pretty close, not sure if we are on top of this one, though.

Best,
Galen

1 Like

As far as I understand, they do not have a marketplace- only listening rooms. Our listening room partner Treehaus Audio is unable to exhibit at that show, so we wouldn’t have anywhere to be.

They don’t have a marketplace per se, but they do have a few “table exhibitors” just outside the big rooms on the first floor.

Jeff is on target for the internal wiring project on Legacy Valors. One of our many great San Francisco Audiophile Society members (Albert) asked us to enter into the project with Bill Dudleston at Legacy. It involved +/- 50 separate cables assemblies to complete. The result was amazing to all parties concerned and who listened. A very sophisticated and rewarding speaker design. A number of Valor owners chose Iconoclast speaker cables without the internal wiring and are super happy!

Keep in mind that every single/solitary Iconoclast jumper from point A to point B requires either 192-individual wire preps for Series I and OMG, 384-indivisual wire preps for Series II speaker cable. In the case of Alberts Valors, Legacy chose to have us (the pros,) make every drop.:blush: Is this excessive? Not really when you want the best and have the means.

You will note that the fold over on each polarity was addressed internally.

2 Likes