Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

Quick question, is this new cable optimized for digital (e.g. streamer to DAC) or analog (e.g. dac to pre amp)? Both have RCA type connectors.

It is a Digital optimized cable for SPDIF interface. It uses the 12 GHz RG6 silver plated copper design with low RL reflection parameters needed for ultra high speed SDI, serial digital Interface.

It is fine for analog too but technically overkill. You’d need to compare and contrast to 1694A as pure specs don’t capture everything.

Best,
Galen

2 Likes

One other question. Is there going to be an AES/EBU Version? I may need two for my DAC when I connect a CD spinner

You only need one AES/EBU XLR as the L+R are Digitally on the same cable. I use an AES/EBU cable from my PS Audio Memory player to the DAC. There is a “stereo AES/EBU XLR” on the back panel Digital Outputs.

Use the 100-ohm series I ICONOCLAST XLR for digital, not the series II which is analog only optimized.

AES3 (also called AES/EBU or IEC-60958 Type-I) usually carries up to 2-channels of 24bit/192k audio, but it also has the capability of carrying 4-channels of 24bit or 20bit/96k digital audio. Those may be related “stereo” channels or independent mono channels or 1-stereo plus 2 mono.

Best, Galen

I have a dCS DAC that uses two for SACD from one of their transport’s.

The dCS DAC uses twin axial 110-ohm at RF AES/EBU lines. Studios use the 110-ohm +/- 15 ohm standard for digital and analog, both. This would be the ICONOCLAST series I XLR. It seems that dCS uses just one digital channel per cable.

The 75-ohm coaxial cable is a SPDIF-2, or 1694A or the silver plated 12G version… An XLR is essentially a shielded cross-wired twisted pair plus shield ground wire.

Check with dCS but if the units are consistent, they use XLR design cable for the AES/EBU and one channel per cable.

Best,
Galen

1 Like

If I wanted to try constructing a hand-made imitation of the Iconoclast speaker cable for internal wiring, instead of deconstructing Belden 1585A for TPC pairs and wanting silver-plating instead, are there any Ethernet cables with these characteristics: 24 to 28 AWG, solid core, silver-plated, PTFE/FEP? Couldn’t find any.
24 AWG PTFE silver-plated copper wire from China would be $10.50 per 5 meters, doesn’t seem so bad, but I don’t think it’s feasible to try gluing it together to get bonded pairs…

or just buy iconoclast, lol

2 Likes

Before that, any tips on turning either lead or preferably something more available such as excrement, into gold?

Of course I’d rather have the precise consistency of Iconoclast but it’s just really expensive, while of course being really cheap for what it offers.
I think the 1585A would be the best bet for trying to accomplish something akin to Iconoclast, at least for trying that for the first time. Might be tough on the fingers. Hopefully not impossible to get a consistent structure…
I’ve been designing an omni-dispersion speaker based on full-range drivers and if the concept proves good enough, I’ll maybe consider SPTPC Iconoclast for internally wiring the final, reference edition…
Having no crossover I’d imagine is a great bonus for retaining the audio spectrum phase coherence that Iconoclast is all about.

1 Like

What kind of lengths are you thinking?

Need some help here, guys. I’ve had my new speakers in the system for a few weeks now and I thought that they were broken in. Today I’m hearing an anomaly, mostly from the right I think. I switched leads and it remains bad on the right. It’s kind of muffled, no, veiled really. I think that I’m going to return them if it keeps up. The problem just started today. I’m at my wit’s end. Can anybody help??
Well… back to painting the ceiling. I’ll listen later.

4 Likes

I did zoom in and see the plastic covering on the right speaker. LOL.
That “room” is an interesting “room”.

2 Likes

I forgot, you hadn’t been to my place before. Yeah, that’s why I’ve used line source speakers to overcome the problem. My last pair was considerably taller but these seem to work well. The midrange is better, too. Eminent Technology LFT8c’s. I do miss the massive amount of open baffle woofer area that I had before but these do well until the last octave. The room is really too big for the woofers; no fault of the designer. I can’t feel the orchestra anymore but The Boss is much happier with the considerably smaller footprint.

1 Like

Hi,
Sorry to hear about your problems. If you have swapped the cables and the problems persist I would get in touch with Bruce Thigpen quickly. I have a pair of LFT8bs (which I’m very happy to use), and when I had a question he replied very fast and was very helpful. Hope that solves your problems fast!
Best, Olaf

Thanks, Olaf. It’s all good. Have another look at the right speaker :grin:

It has that ‘mylar’ sound eh! LOL
I almost bought a pair of eminent’s awhile ago. Cool!

1 Like

Troubleshooting something like this can be frustrating. Switching cables on between the pre, DAC, amps and source should be accomplished one at a time. You could easily have an issue with a source or primary component as well as “forbid,” a problematic IC.

Just my .2 and I hope you find it soon.

B

1 Like

It could be the “plastic” covering over the speaker

2 Likes

I think you are being a bad boy!

Galen

11 Likes

Indeedily! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: