Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

I still use the Blue Jean recommended Belden 1800F that they said is all one needs and nothing can compare. :grin:

Hiya, Brett! At the moment, we are on not much more than a 2-day workflow so yours will probably ship today or tomorrow. If we get inundated, it could slow down as we have only one person who’s fully prepared on the termination work, and these are the most labor-intensive products we have ever worked with. But for now, it’s pretty fast.

Kurt

2 Likes

I’m using the 1800F as well. I really haven’t compared it to anything else but will be once the Gen 2 are available.

I’ve compared it to many others at friends places. There is no way one can pick it out blindly. I’ve done it. Fail every time.

I love 1800F! Great stuff, and I know a few studios locally that are pretty much wired with it (or its less-high-flex sister products) from end to end.

Working with Galen on this project has been really, really interesting. Most of the notions out there for “high-end” cabling have never made a lot of sense to me. It’s fair to say that conventional cable designs and configurations, e.g., 1800F, work really, really well. These Iconoclast designs are intended to work that last little bit of performance out, even at the cost of some difficult and costly manufacturing, and Galen’s rationale for these designs, which will be set out in full on the site, makes sense in that kind of design context. For the average person running ordinary gear, the best value in system improvement is going to involve spending the next dollar on better gear rather than better cabling – this stuff is costly and that won’t make sense unless a lot of attention has already been applied to such things as amps and speakers.

Never thought I’d read the day that Blue Jeans Cable joins the audiophile cable blabber. I don’t discount Galen’s work, not at all, I have doubt given the cost however. I understand manufacturing and tooling cost very well and it still doesn’t make sense to me.

I think it’s a perfect pairing. These cables are NOT expensive compared to Transparent, Nordost, etc. and yet those that have owned both have sided with Galen’s design.

BJC is all about value, these are very high value cables - it just happens to be an order of magnitude more costly but still very high value nonetheless.

Sorry, an interconnect that’s $5k isn’t inexpensive. Don’t need to compare it to anything else.

I guess like most things in life, expensive is relative.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Well, you know, it’s a strange and different kind of product range for us, and I can promise you that it isn’t going to involve a personality change on our part. The tech rationale here comes entirely from Galen, and is above my pay-grade, engineering-wise. The R, L and C on these is all excellent and is at the heart of the designs, but Galen has identified a few other considerations, having to do with such things as differences in velocity of propagation across the audio band, that deal with timing, and which his designs also address.

The question as to whether one can actually hear the difference – well, that’s one which we don’t intend to tell anyone what to think about. We’ve never thought our role was to “push” product at people so much as to make info available and give some recommendations when asked. Myself, I can’t claim a lot of “audiophile” credentials. The sales pitch here is purely “try it and see what you think.”

When I look at cables or components or tweaks, I think of it in terms of what problem am I trying to solve in my system. A $5K cable might be the solution—or a $60 isolator…

Galen should take his stuff and do the same paper of his that I read and compare to the other cables that he might have technical respect for. Show us the data!

A five-foot pair of the Gen1 ETPC balanced cables is $500. I paid significantly more than that shortly after they first became available and still consider them a bargain for what they did in my system. YMMV. The basic copper cables are not crazy expensive.

I have the price list and do not recall anything under $2k IIRC.

You have old info, see prices on BJC site. https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/iconoclast/buy.htm

Thanks, now I’m totally confused. Are these ALL the ICONoclast products or are there more? I’ll have to check the sheet I have later.

@KurtBJC can ICONOCLAST be done with Phoenix connectors?

There is one design for speaker cables, one for XLR and one for RCA. Each has 3 variants, different copper and/or silver plated copper.

Gen 2 XLR and RCA are coming. Different geometry design.

I see. So maybe that’s what I have pricing on then too. I’ve got a price sheet that goes up in the $20k range IIRC. I could be wrong though

These are all of them, at the moment. There will be new RCA and XLR cables (the “Gen 2” versions) soon.

We had a long discussion on pricing. At BJC pricing has always been very heavily cost-linked: we look at what materials cost us and what termination work costs us, and we price off of that sort of basis. Iconoclast had not been priced along those lines previously, and we decided to revisit it and start fresh rather than go with the existing price structure.