Belden ICONOCLAST Interconnects and Speaker Cabling

Agreed. And with balanced cables you don’t have a choice anyway.

2 Likes

That’s great Bob. I think the competition should be worried. Very worried.

1 Like

He’s got a great sense of humor…so glad to read it won’t hurt to reverse the conductor! :slight_smile:

After 1 hour with '7 TPC leads I would say they are in the same realm of added pleasure as the BHK Sig pre. How much better could the OFE be? I didn’t order the top tier to try, that’s ‘12 days in London’ money.

These are great times with BJC turning around Iconoclast orders. I received the package today, ordered last Wed. Thank you!

Glad you like 'em!
The big jump is in the design and the conductor material is much more subtle. Some may even prefer the TPC over the more exotic copper. It just depends on your system and you personal preferences.

I’ve received a pair of speaker cables whilst I’m in Anaheim, CA and I won’t be home again for another two weeks (I’m off to the UK). High hopes that by completing the full “loom” of cabling I’ll hear an impact.

1 Like

We are turning orders very quickly at this point.

There are a couple of things I would like to share. First, the Gen 2 interconnects are not to be considered better than the Gen 1 interconnects. The Gen 1 RCA and XLR are recommended for “digital” applications where most times a single cable is needed for a connection. Digital information is digitally encoded into binary numbers while analog remains uncoded and is time and phase at frequency dependent. So, Galen improved performance significantly for “analog” applications by increasing the strand count with a number of smaller conductors. The bottom line, use Gen 1 for digital connections and Gen 2 for analog connections.

With regard to the differences in speaker leads I recommend that you consider trying more than just one type. Changing speaker leads will provide one of the most significant improvements you can make next to upgrading your speakers. We will work with you. Lets discuss your speakers, amplifiers, DAC and playback sources. The room also comes into play. I am not telling anyone what they don’t already know. To me, there is a “major” difference between the coppers. Not subtle in any way or fashion. Perhaps to others there is little difference. I only suggest that you discuss with us the options and consider “trying them on.” The major reduction in price now places even the previously stratospheric UPOCC copper easily within reach of many. Our sales pitch is not a sales pitch, simply try them! That way, there is no looking back and wondering.

3 Likes

My need is for analog, I’ll wait for the gen 2. I plan to give the TPC a week of normal listening and then switch to the OFE. I run small stand mounts that have an exceedingly solid central image. I like the widening and deepening the TPC has added or rather, revealed.

The rhodium Cardas spades are very well done, excellent choice.

Happy days

We are indeed trying now to streamline the process and make sure that we can get orders shipped promptly; no more waiting for someone at Belden to write up an order in their system. The only hitch at the moment is that of the two people we had working on these assemblies, one (whom we hired primarily to do Iconoclast!) quit a while back, so if things speed up we will need to hire someone and get him trained on these. But at the moment we are moving right along. We don’t build ahead – have always felt that if you build for inventory, you’re liable to guess wrong as to what combinations and lengths people will order – so usually we do not have the finished assembly “in stock” but our whole business, since my wife and I started assembling cables at the dining room table in 2002, has always been premised upon being able to do custom manufacturing PROMPTLY and get goods out the door. These assemblies are a bit (well, actually, a LOT) slower to make than our traditional bread-and-butter items, but we hope to still keep that same quick turnaround going.

1 Like

Kurt,

You can always put one set of terminations on the wire at the free end of the spool prior to the order, then when the order comes in roll out the desired length off the spool and do the other termination.

That works for speaker cable, not so much for XLR/RCA interconnects.

Edit: You can always prep the wire for the XLR/RCA at the free end of the spool for the interconnects ahead of time, install the proper connector, then roll out the wire and cut to length for the opposite end when the order comes in.

Don’t know if it saves you anything, tho.

Just a thought.

–SSW

Ah, indeed. Though Murphy’s Law dictates that when the next order comes in, it will be for nonstandard terminations on both ends…

1 Like

Too true!

I suppose you can strip and separate the wires and prep them for termination, but that does leave them exposed to the elements while you’re waiting for the next order to arrive. So there might not be any benefit.

Oh well. Like I said, just a thought.

1 Like

Thank you Brett, keep me in the top and et me know your impressions. Enjoy.

There is a magic about these speaker leads I’ve never experienced before. The timing. The music sounds oh so much closer to real. Not like live music but like the fantasy I have of the soundstage enveloping me, all around, above and below naturally.

I am going to have to adjust the phase of my subs as the mains now don’t match the timing of the lower registers, the mains are hitting sooner. Minor problem. Otherwise, I’m quite impressed and only a few hours in…

2 Likes

It’s not uncommon to need to make small adjustments to the phase and amplitude on subs after moving to our leads. It is a result of the subtle improvements in time and phase at frequency provided in the design. The ear is very sensitive to this. One customer likened his initial experience listening to the SPTPC leads to the first time he sat through an IMax, 3D Avatar. Total immersion and amazement! Enjoy.

“Timing,… Not like live music, but like the fantasy… of the soundstage”, sub phase needing adjustment is exactly what I experience with the Iconoclast Interconnects and Speaker leads. Considering cable is supposed do as little harm to the signal as possible. You now have a greater idea of what your source equipment and amplifiers are cable of.

2 Likes

Any plans to make a sub cable? Inquiring minds :slight_smile:

When you ask about a sub cable please help me understand the application. Are you asking about a single or dual speaker lead/s from the amplifier to the sub or are you asking about an interconnect from a Preamp/Processor to a self powered sub? Our current products will take care of both applications.

Preamp/Processor to powered sub. Thanks for the quick reply. Which product would you recommend?

Generation 1, single RCA or XLR dependent on the output/input situation between the Preamp/Processor and the sub. Choice of copper is yours but for a sub I feel the TPC is the ideal choice and not very expensive for a single leg.

Far more improvement to be found driving sub high-level from amp. Jensen makes transformers to convert to line level. DRAMATIC improvement.