Best cable between Auralic Aries G2.1 and Directstream dac?

What would be the best connection and cable between Auralic Aries G2.1 and Directstream dac? I am currently using a Wireworld Platinum 8 XLR digital cable and it is nice but what would be an obvious upgrade? The Wireworld Platinum 8 XLR is nice but …. I am using a Wireworld Platinum 7 HDMI between my Perfectwave transport and Directstream dac but I am considering the Audioquest Dragon HDMI 48 if I can get a good deal on one. The WWPS7 is nice but……

As a rule of thumb… between a transport (that includes a streamer) and a DAC one should always first try a solid silver cable.

Some people prefer 75 ohms coaxial but 110 ohms XLR (AES/EBU) should be better if, but only if, both products XLR-related components are properly designed. The choise between 75 or 110 comes usually down to preference.

Why solid silver?

1. Digital cables really benefit from speed and silver are slightly (but not much) faster than copper. Its audiable. Its has to du with how the DACs first components takes care of the signal. Speed maters greatly, even if there is a large buffer involverad.
  2. Solid calbles are less prone to work as an antenna (than strands) and should have less noice
  3. Solid cables have most frequencies traveling in the same speed (not so important in pure 75 or 110 ohm)

More tips
A) Use pure silver. Avoid silver over copper.
B) Nordost cables are fast.
C) Never tweak the sound with a digital source cable. Do that further down the line.

The best digital sound per dollar I know of are used Nordost SilverShadow cables. You can get them in both XLR and RCA for USD 200-250.

If I were to get an I2S for a direct stream DAC I would get an Audioquest Diamond.

That said, you should listen for your self. Do it in your stereo.

I have no experience with either device, but I do have an Auralic Altair G1 connected to a GCD via Audioquest Water XLR. Unless someone knows differently, PS Audio HDMI connections are only for compatible I2S devices. If this is the case, you’d look to use either a better XLR of your choosing, or another compatible interface altogether.

I have the PS Audio DSD Sr. connected to a Auralic Aries G1. Best I’ve owned is the Kimber Cable all silver KS-2120 AES/EBU. It’s PHENOMENAL!

1 Like

I have the Auralic G2 used with the DirectStream Dac. I like having the ability to decode DSD 256 so I use the Matrix Spdif 2 with the WWPS 8 USB into the matrix and out of matrix with the AQ Dragon. The sound to my ears is phenomenal.

1 Like

How much did your KS-2120 cost?

I decided to go with the Kimber KS-2120 AES/EBU cable between my Auralic Aries G2.1 streamer and Directstream dac as a few people recommended it highly. I’m also getting an Audioquest Dragon 48 HDMI cable between my Perfectwave transport and Directstream dac. I think I have done well. They will replace Wireworld Platinum Starlight 7 HDMI and Wireworld Platinum Starlight 8 AES/EBU.

1 Like

Excited to hear what you think.

If I remember correctly it was 1200-1300. Plus I got a 10-15% discount. It’s been awhile. Sorry