Best PWD & Bridge Firmware Combination

@elk x2

Yes Elk, PWT is still the King, no question. B-)

Yes Elk, PWT is still the King, no question. B-)
:-t
I think it's not fair to compare the PWT with just one bridge setup. I mean there maybe a setup that can compete with the transport. There are far more variable to get the bridge setup right.
I think the first variable that should be the same is the file format .wav a file converted on the fly is not the same quality. Than the second important thing is the lengt and the cable quality use the same level and lengt ethernetcable as the HDMI between the PWT and the PWD. If you can, leave the switch out the signal path. Use a high quality computer with for example an i7 processor and 8 gig or more internal memory. Feed the computer with a high grade powerfilter or use the accu. I mean the transport is probably fed through an expensive filter too.

If al these variable are at the same level and more than it would be a fair comparison. ;)

If only the PWT could play SACD (DSD) and could even transfer this to a DSD-compatible PWD via I2s…

And, yes - also rip a CD to a connected NAS or USB disc…

I think we need an appliance playing and ripping disc media in a streaming-only transition phase.

The ripping feature will justify its place.

Just some OT for the future… :wink:

wijnand said: If al these variable are at the same level and more than it would be a fair comparison.

That is a lot of variables. :)

I agree, however, that in an ideal world a server through the Bridge should be competitive with the PWT. It may very well happen.

The PWT would never be able to play or rip a SACD unless it had a BluRay transport inside as the laser of the DVD isn’t compatible and never can be. Even if we did change the drive to a BluRay drive it could never legally rip SACD, only play them and then only stream the digital content to a Sony chipset inside a dedicated DAC. Pretty restrictive.

What we COULD do is create a firmware version in the existing PWT’s to DSD recorded onto a DVD. The PWT can already handle DoP DSD. If you’ll recall, DoP is where we take pure DSD, break it into packets acceptable to PCM, place them into a WAV wrapper. The PWT does not, of course, know any different and thus outputs DoP perfectly which, I believe, may be the most common means of downloading and transferring of DSD there is.

I read this very interesting discussion. Now have come the firmware 2:43 to 2:44 for Pwd and 0.2.15 to the Bridge.
Have any of you tested (again for the quality of reproduction) untime these combinations of firmware in relation to the "old" that you have discussed above?
Tanks,
Marcello

Hi,

i use 2.2.0 and 2.14a.

Today i tried 2.5.4 and 2.14a … turned back because 2.2.0 make much less hiss if switching samplerates.

So 2.2.0 and 2.14a is my to go.

;-)

• way

This thread is the one that has been abandoned for some time.
They went other firmware , I tested 2.4.3 and 2.4.6 release.
I am now using version 2.4.5, always in combination with the latest release for the bridge ( 0.2.15 ).
Both 2.4.5 and 2.4.6 seems to me that the improved detail and airy compared to 2.4.3 , although I read in another thread that a user complained bass slightly " gummy " with version 2.4.6 .
On my system, I have no listening fatigue , even though I have a lot of detail and airiness.
I wish I had enough time to test even with version 0.2.14b of the bridge to make a comparison, but for now I do not have enough!
If someone else can help with opinions about what is the best combination of firmware, I will be happy!
I also wish that the PS Audio engineers worked also to improve the firmware of the bridge , where I found a bug regarding the display of non-standard characters (accented in various languages); in particular on the latest version, the 0.2.15, is a disaster.

Please do not abandon the development of firmware and Pwd Bridge 1, thanks.
I wish you all a Happy New Year !! 103_gif

Marcello

Yes, I’m using the 2.4.5 version as well. Seems substantially “better” to me, since it provides more details, airyness and resolution than the 2.4.1 release I was using before…

But my Bridge 1 is still idling since I can’t use it properly with my Mac environment. Using USB input instead and dual head reference cable from YFS provides pretty good results and is definetely better than the WW Platinum Starlight 6 I had before (the latter now serves in my “holiday” audio system).