2.2.0 firmware for new production PWDs

I just made the mistake of installing the version of 2.2.0 in the firmware section, and apparently it is not compatible with my newer production version of the PWD MKII.

Does anyone have a copy of 2.2.0 for the newer PWDs that they can link/send to me? As of right now I have no sound from my DAC.

Thanks

Just got the latest version from Marcus.

Here it is for anyone else that needs it.

Attached files /FileUpload/8b/c6172e1ac3229de558301daec8a2b0.rar (481.4 KB)Â

A long awaited PL109 …

Thanks !

No problem :slight_smile:

I’m absolutely blown away with the sound I’m getting from this version. I feel like I’ve gotten a new DAC.

Oh, also worth noting… I had previously been of the opinion that bridge firmware 2.14b sounded like crud, but when coupled with this ‘new’ 2.2.0, 2.14b sound excellent. The bonus of using 2.14b (for me at least), is that the pause function on the front panel and in JRiver actually functions correctly instead of stopping the current track and skipping to the next one.

audioslave said: I'm absolutely blown away with the sound I'm getting from this version. I feel like I've gotten a new DAC.

Wonderful!

Thanks for posting the latest version.

Happy listening!

This is good if the SQ has improved, BUT…

This is an excellent example of PS Audio’s extremely bad version control. EVERY change should have a new version number. This should perhaps be 2.2.0b or 2.2.1… It is unfortunate that there are several subtly different versions out in the wild all having the SAME version number.

Paul, Dennis, EVERYBODY: PLEASE GET THIS ISSUE IN ORDER!!! It is in no way difficult to give a different build or file set a new version number. If it is difficult then something is really wrong.

Oh, and document the changes in the new version too… Please. :slight_smile:

J.P.

This is confusing. Is this firmware update for old PWD’s that have been modded to Mk2? Or is it only for brand new PWD’s?

Impossible to know Mike. As JP says, without release notes documenting changes it is impossible to say if it is a bug fix or a new version offering new benefits. But having more than one version of 2.2.0 circulating is not helpful and defies convention on software versioning.

OK, now I can confirm that v1.09 works fine, and it solves the 192 kHz in Native mode problem, of v1.07.

Attached files

@valer i’m curious - to which problem with 192kHz are you referring to? :slight_smile:

Try to play a file with 192kHz resolution in NATIVE (only) mode through the USB, with PL1.07. I’m sure You’ll understand what I’m talking about (kind of intermittent sound issues, which is expressed as a clicks and pops).

Thanks valer, i’m using usb only occasionally (only 44khz for video playback) so haven’t noticed it yet :slight_smile:

btw i’ve just found that this is the 3rd version of 2.2.0 firmware i have download (each with differed PL).

PL1.05 March 2012

PL1.07 Jun 2012

PL1.09 Jun 2013

:slight_smile:

This is good if the SQ has improved, BUT...

This is an excellent example of PS Audio's extremely bad version control. EVERY change should have a new version number. This should perhaps be 2.2.0b or 2.2.1... It is unfortunate that there are several subtly different versions out in the wild all having the SAME version number.

Paul, Dennis, EVERYBODY: PLEASE GET THIS ISSUE IN ORDER!!! It is in no way difficult to give a different build or file set a new version number. If it is difficult then something is really wrong.

Oh, and document the changes in the new version too... Please. :)

J.P.

Another post that deserves to be in CAPS fully. Something what PSA should have done at the very first development stage.

This is getting ridiculous. Don't they ever learn....

@maniac

Well done!

From what I see inside your dates seem to be correct.

I believe there is more to it though that just adding or exchanging the inner files.

Apparently the “compiling” method also affects the sets. This is one of the reasons that It is so difficult to understand the SQ differences. Probably there is a log in the engineering dept to document all this further.

It is possible to have the same inner file names in a set and still have SQ differences.

Just go the latest version from Marcus.

Here it is for anyone else that needs it.

What do I do with this file? I download it and I get a crazy file name with a *.rar extension? I successfully updated the bridge to 2.14b but can't figure out how to upgrade the dac from 2.2.0, 1.05 to 2.2.0, 1.09. I appreciate any help I can get. I am trying to upgrade across my network using the bridge's ip address and following the menu to file upgrade. The menu tells me I need an upgrade.ub file? Do I change the *.rar file name to upgrade.ub?

Thanks, Dale

Ok, figured out *.rar is a zipped up file. Still don't understand the next step. I don't see an upgrade.ub file. Do I change the file name loader.cfg to upgrade.ub?

Thanks, Dale

Hi Dale

The process for a manual firmware update or change for PWD is different than the Bridge.

There is a link to the instructions at the top of the download page http://www.psaudio.com/vanilla/categories/pwd-and-pwt-firmware-versions

fter you have unzipped copy oONLY the 5 unzipped files to an sd card.

Insert the card into the back of PWD [ shiny contacts facing uo] and reboot PWD with the power switch on the back.

The front logo light will blink a few times and then PWD will initialize/ go blank/ and then initialize again.

New firmware should now be installed.

** note that if you already have this version installed it will skip the steps and do nothing new.

Upgrade.ub files are used only for Bridge firmware updates. This thread is about PWD firmware which you want to update. PWD firmware is a package of five different files.

The PWD firmware cannot upgraded through the Bridge. PWD firmware updates must be done by copying the update files onto a blank SD card of 2GB or less. You poser the PWDnoff with the switch next to the power cord. The card is then placed in the SD card slot on the back of the PWD just below the Bridge, with the label facing down and the contacts facing up. You then switch the PWD on and wait for the update process to complete. Initially, the screen should be blank and the light in the power button should be flashing. If the power button is not flashing then the PWDnthinksmthat the same version is already installed and the upgrade is not proceeding.

REMEMBER TO ALWAYS TURN OFF YOUR AMP OR SELECT A SOURCE OTHER THAN THE PWD during the PWD firmware update, as it generates some horrendous and potentially damaging noises on the output during this process!

J.P.

Two answers within a few seconds of each other… Now he has a choice of a short or long description to follow. :slight_smile:

J.P.