Best Source for DirectStream/PWD

Thanks.

It works ‘perfectly’ with the DS on USB. Just PlugNPlay.

It got up to 70 pages on the Computer Audiophile forum - before the product was even released (a hype never seen before).

The preliminary verdict from CA is that it beats every COTS computer solution older than 2 years (inclusive the newest Mac mini/CAPS) and is only levelled or surpassed by the very finest and dedicated audio-tweaked computers/music servers.

If the new Bridge II is OpenHome compatible, you can use the associated Lightning DS app to control it.

It is as pretty as the pictures indicate, but the case is plastic because it houses the 802.11N/AC wifi antennas.

It is the first unit on the market that can stream 2xDSD and DXD wirelessly from your router/NAS combo!

I really hope PS Audio listen to this unit prior to releasing the Bridge II to make sure it competes on SQ.

I think this streaming bridge is a glimpse of the future.

Very, very cool

It is also reasonably priced for what it is.

Two versions;

Mine has a femto clock and external linear PSU.

The LE version is 30% cheaper.

Frode said If the new Bridge II is OpenHome compatible, you can use the associated Lightning DS app to control it
I think this is an important point. PSA is bringing out Bridge II but no longer supporting the eLyric control point. At least three commonly-used control points (Kinsky, Lumin, and Lightning [assuming that the Aries becomes popular] don't work with non-OpenHome control points. Kinsky was always my #2 choice after eLyric until it required an OH cp. OH support seems to be growing. There's not much point in having a Bridge II without good cp's. (Please don't talk to me about PlugPlayer. BubbleUPnP is not availble for iPad.) I very much want to see the Bridge continue to be available and work well for users--the fact that I didn't have to buy another external box was a factor in my decision to purchase the PWD.

And if I may add, the Lumin app controls Aries better than the Lightning DS…

Also check out the new Linn Kazoo uPnP server and control point - very sleek.

Interview with the CEO of Aural-ic: http://www.audiostream.com/how-is-ted-coding-the-fpgaent/qa-xuanqian-wang-auralic

Some updates related to SQ impressions when using the Aries as a source for the DS:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/auralic-aries-hardware-impressions-and-information-21261/index12.html#post344366

LH labs Geek Source tech. specs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AljAXIFo7qVqdFdmVUoxOXB1VzFPaGtkQXdRa01ibUE&usp=sharing#gid=13

Elk said I have a Bryston BDP-2 on the way and expect it in a couple of weeks. I look forward to hearing whether it sounds different/better than other computer based sources as is often reported. It will also be interesting to compare it to the PWT. The Bryston works as a NAS; plug in USB and or eSATA drives and stream away.
I rather suspect that you will be pretty impressed with the Bryston. Mine is connected to the PWD using AES/EBU. Music is fed from a Synology 212+ over Cat 6 Ethernet. If I had to choose, I would say that SQ is slightly better via a USB thumb drive plugged into the front panel of the Bryston. As I have posted earlier, the difference in SQ between the bridge and the Bryston was not subtle. I will be interested to see how this goes when my DS upgrade is installed.

I have not yet installed the Manic Moose firmware (handles DSD) as there is no need at the moment. I would recommend the MPad control point to run your BDP-2.

Cheers,

Chris

Frode said Since no one has mentioned the Auralic Aries as a source for the DS, it is now done.

Absolutely no regrets so far. I have now abandoned any thoughts of getting a computer. I use a NAS.

The only time I need a computer is for any metadata tagging and hirez download.

@Gordon;

Have you recieved your Aries’?

I am looking at an Aries myself. In Australia they are asking $2,200 for the good one. I will have to work out how best to use it before I go rushing in.

I am also interested in a better source than NAS to Bridge. I tried a Bryston product with my perfect PWD awhile ago and it did show me that there is better than my NAS to Bridge. I found the Bryston at that time did not have an Android app and it was a bit clunky to operate and I did not proceed. I am interested in the Aries which is a streamer. But I am also interested in a server such as an Antipodes DS or DX. They are more expensive than the Aries but review very well.

Does anybody have any comments Streamer Vs Server?

John

As far as streamers are concerned, I am very pleased in every aspect with the Rendu.

Has anyone compared the Rendu to the Aries when used with the DS?

As a different reference comparison, the Rendu is significantly better soundwise than the bridge using IS2 input to the DS.

cerobo said

I rather suspect that you will be pretty impressed with the Bryston.

Thank you, Chris. Very helpful information.

I am, of course, highly amused mine will come with the Manic Moose firmware.

Elk meets the Manic Moose! :smiley:

J.P.

Just tried the Lumin L1 NAS with both my Lumin A1 and Aries streamer tonight (uPnP via network).

Works like a charm from both apps:)

While at it I just did a SQ comparison between my two combos:

A) Lumin L1 and A1 to DS S/PDIF
B) NAS and Aries to DS via USB

I played the same jazz music (redbook) at the same volume and checked with my soundmeter that the dB levels matched.
The streaming was delivered via WIFI.

There is a difference, but it is hard to say what sounds the best.
Combo A sounded more distinct and clear but without being ‘bright’ or in your face. There is more ‘there’ there and the delivery has more power/authority.
Combo B sounded more relaxed and analog like with an effortless and natural flow to it.
My preference was combo A but only by a slight margin.
I will have some friends in for their verdict.
I will also try a transport with I2s for the final challenge: http://www.rockna-audio.com/products/wavedream-net

Which transport ?

rogerdn said Which transport ?
The WaveDream Net memory player/music server. It has a BD drive for playing DSD and provides I2s over HDMI (PS Audio standard) into the DS.

I provided a link above…(?)